PDA

View Full Version : Scientific "Miracle"?

Haridas
21 October 2007, 10:09 PM
Namaste.
I read this on an article from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Meru):

The legends, Puranas and Hindu epics frequently state that Surya, the sun-God, circumambulates Mount Meru every day.

Emphasis mine.

This makes me wonder if Mt. Meru is really the galactic center of the Milky Way galaxy. Science tells us that the Sun revolves around the Galactic Center of the Milky Way galaxy (as do all of the other stars in this galaxy); and "Surya" is simply the presiding deity/personification of the Sun. When it is stated that "Surya" is what the Earth revolves around, for example, then it really means "Sun" and not the deity (who is the personification of the Sun). "Every day" may be a metaphor for, perhaps, Brahma's Day. This is a possible Scientific "Miracle" (in quotes for various reasons).

What are your thoughts?

atanu
22 October 2007, 02:46 AM
Namaste.
I read this on an article from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Meru):

The legends, Puranas and Hindu epics frequently state that Surya, the sun-God, circumambulates Mount Meru every day.

Emphasis mine.

This makes me wonder if Mt. Meru is really the galactic center of the Milky Way galaxy. Science tells us that the Sun revolves around the Galactic Center of the Milky Way galaxy (as do all of the other stars in this galaxy); and "Surya" is simply the presiding deity/personification of the Sun. When it is stated that "Surya" is what the Earth revolves around, for example, then it really means "Sun" and not the deity (who is the personification of the Sun). "Every day" may be a metaphor for, perhaps, Brahma's Day. This is a possible Scientific "Miracle" (in quotes for various reasons).

What are your thoughts?

Namaste Haridas Ji,

Just some food for thought.

I doubt whether anybody, except God knows what Mount Meru exactly is.

Though observed from a reference point outside of man and outside of Sun, the Sun is fixed and a man is circumambulating the sun. But from the point of view of a fixed consciousness called Sthanu, the Sun is circumambulating. From your own reference point, the Sun circumambulates you everyday and you have what is called a meru danda. It is also relevant (possibly) that sages who are able to experience the immutable Seer, experience it as a Mountain (Giri).

Indian sages considered the 'knower consciousness' as the reference point. And this view is proven correct with Relativity theory, yet it is not assimilated or comprehended. As sage Dirghatma sings: "--This is the nabhi of the universe".

You may take it just as a thought.

Om

atanu
22 October 2007, 11:21 AM
"In your body is Mount Meru
encircled by the seven continents;
the rivers are there too,
the seas, the mountains, the plains,
and the gods of the fields.
Prophets are to be seen in it, monks,
places of pilgrimage
and the deities presiding over them.
The stars are there, and the planets,
and the sun together with the moon;
there too are the two cosmic forces:
that which destroys, that which creates;
and all the elements: ether,
air and fire, water and earth.
Yes, in your body are all things
that exist in the three worlds,
all performing their prescribed functions
around Mount Meru
He alone who knows this
is held to be a true yogi"

Siva-Samhita, 2.1-5, trsl. by J. Varenne, Yoga in the Hindu Tradition, Univ. of Chicago Press, 1976.

atanu
23 October 2007, 04:16 AM
"In your body is Mount Meru
encircled by the seven continents;
-----
Siva-Samhita, 2.1-5, trsl. by J. Varenne, Yoga in the Hindu Tradition, Univ. of Chicago Press, 1976.

Only when the Mount Meru is known within, the body becomes the body of the Universe. Wanted to remove a small chance of potential confusion.

Om