PDA

View Full Version : Boon that Shri Brahma geve to Meghanada

orlando
03 May 2006, 06:09 PM
Namaste all.

I did read two or three times a summary version of Srimad Ramayana in italian language,my mother tongue.I did read the the boon that Lord Brahma gave to Meghanada was that he (Meghanada) should have never meet death until he was in war car and have completed his daily prayes.What Swami Shivanada has wrote in his book Practice of Brahmacharya is very different.

By http://www.yoga-age.com/modern/brahpractice.html#_Toc441556983
Sri Lakshmana
Lakshmana, the son of Dasaratha by his second queen Sumitra, was the younger brother of Sri Rama. He was an Avatara of Adisesha. He was the constant companion of Rama both in pleasure and in pain. Rama and Lakshmana lived, dined, played and studied together. One could not bear the separation of the other. Lakshmana was a loving servant also of Sri Rama. He carried out Sri Rama’s commands to the very letter. He lived in perfect obedience to Sri Rama.

Lakshmana had pure and untainted brotherly love. His object of life was service to his elder brother. Obedience to the commands of his brother was the motto of his life. He would not do anything without getting Rama’s permission. He regarded Sri Rama as his God, Guru, father and mother. He followed Rama as a shadow.

He was quite unselfish at heart. He abandoned all the comforts of a royal life willingly only for the company of his brother. He served Rama’s cause in all possible ways. He made Rama’s cause his own. He sacrificed every personal consideration on the altar of brotherly love. Sri Rama was his all-in-all. Lakshmana could relinquish anything, his life even, for the sakc of Rama. He abandoned in a moment his mother, his wife and his royal comforts to follow Sri Rama and Sita in exile. What a magnanimous soul! What a great Tyagi he was! Here is an unprecedented example, in the history of the whole world, of a disinterested, noble and devoted soul who lived only to serve his brother. That is the reason why the readers of Ramayana eulogize Lakshmana for his pure and unique love towards his brother. Some eulogize Bharata, while others speak very highly of Hanuman, but Lakshmana was in no way inferior to Bharata or Hanuman.

Lakshmana followed Sri Rama for the long period of fourteen years though he was perfectly aware of the dangers of the forest. He accompanied Rama with his bow and arrow, though his help was not required by Visvamitra. It was all due to his devotion and love towards his brother Sri Rama.

Sri Rama also had intense love for Lakshmana. When Lakshmana fell down unconscious by the fatal arrow of Meghanada, Rama’s heart was broken. He wept bitterly. He made a determination not to revisit Ayodhya when he lost his dear brother. He said, "A wife like Sita can be had, but a real devoted brother of the type of Lakshmana cannot be had again. The world is nothing for me without my brother."

Lakshmana was pure in thought, word and deed. He led the life of an ideal Brahmachari during the fourteen years of exile. He never looked at the face or body of Sita. His eyes were ever directed towards her lotus-like feet only. When Sugriva brought Sita’s cloak and jewels—which, while she was being carried away, she had allowed to fall on the earth, seeing the monkeys on the mountain—Rama showed them to Lakshmana and asked whether he recognized them. Lakshmana said:

Naham Janami Keyure Naham Janami Kankane
Nupura Eva Janami Nityam Padabhivandanat

"I do not recognise the bracelets or ear-rings; I know only the anklets, for I worshipped her feet alone." See how Lakshmana revered Sita as mother or Goddess.

Meghanada, the son of Ravana, had conquered even Indra, the lord of gods. By virtue of this victory, Meghanada also came to be known as Indrajit. He had a boon of being invincible to all except to one who could abstain from all sorts of sensual enjoyments as least for a full fourteen years. He was unconquerable. But Lakshmana destroyed him by the power of his purity, by the power of Brahmacharya.

O Lakshmana! We shall ever sing thy glory and repeat, "Ram Lakshman Janaki, Jai Bolo Hanuman Ki!" Introduce us to our beloved Lord Rama, thy dear brother and master. Help us also in holding communion with Lord Rama. O Lakshmana! Be ever merciful to those neophyte Sadhakas who grope in the darkness of ignorance! Teach us the secret of success and help us in becoming staunch celibates till the end of our lives. Once again, salutations to thee, O Lakshmana, the darling of Sumitra and the apple of Sri Rama’s eyes!

The summary version that I did read taled a summary of Valmiki's Ramayana.Is that Swami Shivananda wrote found in Tulasidas's Ramayana?

Regards,
Orlando.

kimtadbrahma
04 May 2006, 03:10 PM
The granting of boons by Brahma to Indrajit is narrated in Chapter 30 of the Uttara Kanda of the Valmiki Ramayana. There is no mention there of Indrajit's vulnerability to one who has been celibate for 14 years. It is as you say, that he accepts the possibility of being killed if he should enter a battle without first completing his prayers and offerings into the sacred fire. And of course the Yuddha Kanda describes how this is the circumstance of his death at the hands of Lakshman.

I am not sure if the alternative version is told by Tulsidas, but I would doubt it. There is, however, a major oral tradition of the Ramayan that includes well known stories. For example, the incident of the Lakshman Rekha made around the ashram to protect Sita is known to everyone, but it is not found in either Valmiki or Tulsidas's version.