PDA

View Full Version : What is Ayurveda?

vedic_kings
04 May 2006, 12:13 AM
For those of you who may not know what Ayurveda is, here is an over view.

Ayurveda is the knowledge or science, Veda, of life or longevity, ayur. It is the medical aspect of Vedic science, (regarded as an Upaveda or secondary Vedic system). Today it is perhaps the most commonly known of the Vedic sciences. In the Vedic and Yogic system health is seen as a basis for creative and spiritual growth, not as an end in itself. The goal of life is not just to live but to find the meaning of life. Hence we should use the time and energy our health provides for developing our higher nature. Thus Ayurveda naturally leads to the other and deeper aspects of Vedic knowledge.

Ayurveda is an aspect of Yoga and most allied most with Hatha Yoga, the Yoga of the physical body, with which it can be combined. While Hatha Yoga provides us the exercises for physical health, flexibility and the dissolution of tension, Ayurveda gives the knowledge of how to care for our body in terms of diet and medicine. Both serve as means of harmonizing the physical body so that the powers of our inner consciousness can come into action through it.

While the body is not the goal of the spiritual or creative life, it is the foundation. Without health we cannot do anything in life. Hence Ayurveda is of importance to all.

Ayurveda is the medicine of nature, the medicine of life. It does not give us a set of theoretical principles to impose upon our biological functioning. Rather it seeks to present to the human mind the principles and powers of Nature herself. It teaches us to put into practice Nature's great principles of health and natural living. For this reason it employs the language of nature; an energetic system of the elements and biological humors, a simple yet profound system of correspondences, not a complex scientific, materialistic or biochemical terminology.

It considers that it is more important to know what aspect of nature is working within us, for example, if there is too much or too little heat in our system, rather than to be able to describe this dysfunction in terms of pathogens or biochemical malfunctions.

Its terms, therefore, the biological humors, the elements and their qualities, do not originate from conceptual thought or scientific experiments but through direct observation of Nature herself. They represent the powers of Nature working within us, the great Gods or cosmic powers of the vital or life-plane to whom we must do homage (i.e. respect and follow their laws). Just as we have the powers of water, fire and wind working in the environment around us, so they work on a biological level within us. Just as allowing a fire to get too close will burn us externally, so allowing our inner fire to burn too highly will damage our internal organs.

Ayurveda is a form of naturalistic medicine or naturopathy. According to its wisdom it is Nature herself that heals. All we can do is assist in her process by attuning ourselves to her movements. Therefore, Ayurveda emphasizes the balancing of the life-force within us as the basis of all treatment. Ayurveda is based on diet and herbs for its treatment but uses many specially prepared mineral substances as well. It provides us with a complete life-regime through an integrated science of life-style counseling that deals with body and mind, and with both the individual and society. Its goal is not to suppress our symptoms but to give us the tools to understand our nature and live in harmony with it.

http://www.vedanet.com/

If anyone have any qusetions about ayurveda or health issues, feel free to ask:)

Ram
04 May 2006, 04:03 AM
Namaste VK,

What is Ayurveda's stand and explanation on some of the diseases that defy even modern medcine:

Eg: cancer, SLE, hormonal dsorders

Is Ayurveda able to cure such diseases, for which modern medicine just offers a crutch in the form of life long treatment.

-Ram

vedic_kings
04 May 2006, 12:35 PM
Namaste VK,

What is Ayurveda's stand and explanation on some of the diseases that defy even modern medcine:

Eg: cancer, SLE, hormonal dsorders

Is Ayurveda able to cure such diseases, for which modern medicine just offers a crutch in the form of life long treatment.

-Ram
Namaste Ram.

All disease can be cured, but this depends on the person who is taking up the treatment. Most all disease start in the digestive system. This digestive power is called Agni, and is central to health.

Cancer involves low agni on many levels along with a negative life-force or energy. Negative life force is that of excess Apana the downward moving ari (vata). Cancer is cells that luck oxygen (prana).

Treatment for cancer is first and far most is spiritual therapies, such as Gem and diamond, along with mantras like om. Pyanayama is most important to increase Prana.

Herbal treatment for cancer are that of blood cleansing herbs, such as red clover, dandelion, self-heal, stillingia, burdock etc. Circulatory stmulants, such as turmeric, zedoaria, saffron, safflower, myrrh madder and guggul. Immune strengthening tonic, which are ashwagandha, shatvari, guduchi, bala, shilajit and so on.

Dietary treatment is a anti ama or detoxifying diet. avoid meat and dairy as well as to much protein. Kicharee diet (epual parts mung beans and basmati rice) is an ideal diet for cancer.

modern medicine has very little to offer at this time, they give you pills and ask you to come back in two week for more. which the medications they give you are making people even sicker! people are taking more medication to deal with the side effects. I know people who only took one kind of medication, but now is taking up to 15 different kinds just to deal with the side effects! Its cazy, this person took only one kind of medication, but do to side effects he took another kind, but the one for side effect was causing side effect and so on and so on!

We westerner need to look to the east, which we are slowly!

EDIT

The bottom line here its all about the money, or we would have figured this out long ago! people don't want people to get well, if people got well doctor and pharmaceutical will go out of business!

anewa
04 May 2006, 12:38 PM
:D:Dnamaste vedickings, thank-you for the brillient explaination of ayurveda. this truly has helped me to put it all together. i am so grateful. this is very helpful in being able to clear my channels. do you have a chart that can help me to know my body type? or can you direct me to the information?:) anewa

Jalasayanan
04 May 2006, 12:39 PM
Any Ayurveda tips for top listing killing diesease - AIDS

vedic_kings
04 May 2006, 03:21 PM
Any Ayurveda tips for top listing killing diesease - AIDS

Yes there are treatment for AIDS.

The main thing is to eat foods that stregthen Oajs, and sattvic in nature, like sesame seeds and oil, almond, chickpeas, milk, yogurt and ghee.

Its is important to abstain from sexual activity or at least reduce it as much as possible.

Herbs for building Ojas are ashwagandha, shatavari, gokshura, bala and kapikacchu. Shilajit is best.

There are mantras for increasing Ojas such as OM, SHUM and SHRIM.

There is much more to be said, but yeah AIDS can be treated.

vedic_kings
04 May 2006, 03:30 PM
:D:Dnamaste vedickings, thank-you for the brillient explaination of ayurveda. this truly has helped me to put it all together. i am so grateful. this is very helpful in being able to clear my channels. do you have a chart that can help me to know my body type? or can you direct me to the information?:) anewa
namaste anewa!

Glad I could be of some help:D

You can go to many site to get a body type chart. I found this one for you.

http://www.ayurveda.com/online%20resource/constitution.pdf

anewa
04 May 2006, 04:15 PM
:D thank-you very much for the chart. cool i will do the quiz and get back to u later. namaste anewa:)

vedic_kings
04 May 2006, 10:42 PM
:D thank-you very much for the chart. cool i will do the quiz and get back to u later. namaste anewa:)

Im looking forward to your results:)

Zahuhu
30 September 2006, 03:43 PM
It is really??

vedic_kings
30 September 2006, 09:59 PM
It is really??

Is it really what?

yajvan
24 January 2007, 07:26 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought to post to this conversation... I have been practicing this appoach for some time with varying levels of success. For those that know this science, I am a pitta-vatta constitution. One can also with a high degree of accuracy 'see' ones constitution from a birth chart. Elements found in one's body are the various forms of the grahas. This is suggested in point 5 below.

When I think of Ayur-ved, I commonly look to 5 key concepts I have been taught:
1. Food is medicine, medicine is food.
2.Dis-ease comes from the disharmony of the 5 elements ( tattvas)
3. Like increases like ( that is, the more of the same gives you more of the same!)
4.Whatever affects the body affects the mind ( and vice versa)
5. Last, "as above, so below" - that is, every thing that exists in the universe has its couunterpart in the internal body-universe of the individual.

These simple but insightful principles are something I can easily understand. Not sure if anyone on the forum is a expert but would like to hear more from them. I would like to see more western medicine take on this approach.

smedleyamy
08 September 2009, 08:17 AM
Hi vedic_kings,

Well, I get all information regarding Ayurveda and come to know about advantages over medicines.I know Ayurveda is the knowledge or science, Veda, of life or longevity, ayur. It is the medical aspect of Vedic science, (regarded as an Upaveda or secondary Vedic system). Today it is perhaps the most commonly known of the Vedic sciences.I want more information regarding Ayurveda and its effects. Please provide me some useful link which guide me for Ayurveda.I am waiting for your positive reply.

Thanks

akshara
30 January 2010, 12:50 AM
Mythology says Brahma imparted the ‘knowledge of life’ to his disciple Daksha Prajapati, and it was imparted to the Aswins, the twin gods, and later to Indra. At this time, humanity was suffering from pains and illnesses. It was decided that Dhanwantari who was an eminent sage reincarnated as Divodasa , and the sages Bharadwaja and Kashyapa go to heaven to learn the science from the king of Gods. That’s how Ayurveda descended from heaven to heal the humanity.

Though the practitioner need not be a Sanskrit scholar, mastery of Sanskrit is essential for textual study, or an in-depth learning of the science.

Yatraushadhi: samagmata rajana : samitavivaVipra:
Sa uchyate bhishak raksho hameeva chataa – Rig veda

Only young men who possessed intelligence, courage and a good memory were eligible to practice this divine science in olden days.

Sushruta, ‘father of Surgery’ and a student of Divodasa Dhanwantari taught that the physician was to treat the patient as his own son. And a good physician had to be a good cook also to ensure his medicines were tasty

kumar12
08 February 2010, 04:25 AM
AYURVEDA (http://www.sivanandabahamas.org/AYURVEDA.htm) is a holistic healing science which comprises of two words, Ayu and Veda. Ayu means life and Veda means knowledge or science. So the literal meaning of the word Ayurveda is the science of life. Ayurveda is a science dealing not only with treatment of some diseases but is a complete way of life. Read More
"Ayurveda treats not just the ailment but the whole person and emphasizes prevention of disease to avoid the need for cure."
Ayurvedic Medicine has become an increasingly accepted alternative medical treatment in America during the last two decades.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Medicines
* By using ayurvedic and herbal medicines you ensure physical and mental health without side effects. The natural ingredients of herbs help bring “arogya” to human body and mind. ("Arogya" means free from diseases). The chemicals used in preparing allopathy medicines have impact on mind as well. One should have allopathy medicine only when it is very necessary.
* According to the original texts, the goal of Ayurveda is prevention as well as promotion of the body’s own capacity for maintenance and balance.
* Ayurvedic treatment is non-invasive and non-toxic, so it can be used safely as an alternative therapy or alongside conventional therapies.
* Ayurvedic physicians claim that their methods can also help stress-related, metabolic, and chronic conditions.
* Ayurveda has been used to treat acne, allergies, asthma, anxiety, arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, colds, colitis, constipation, depression, diabetes, flu, heart disease, hypertension, immune problems, inflammation, insomnia, nervous disorders, obesity, skin problems, and ulcers.

jasmeet
15 July 2011, 12:51 AM
Nice info about Ayurveda.thanks for sharing with us...

Sonia84
19 March 2013, 05:08 AM
The Ayurveda studies the physical and psychic behavior of people and prescribes ways for them to synchronize with their environment so as to live happy, healthy and inspired lives.

kumarsonu
20 March 2013, 12:07 AM
Ayurveda is combination of two words "ayus" and "veda". "Ayus" means life & "Veda" means knowledge or science. The complete term "Ayurveda" means the understanding of life. The principle of Ayurveda is to stop illness, heal the sick and preserve life. Ayurveda originated in India and is considered a few thousand years old science. Ayurveda in Kerala is being trained for such a long time that a very popular term "Kerala Ayurveda" has come up. Kerala Ayurveda packages (http://www.travelshanti.com/packages/rejuvenation/india/ayurveda/ayurveda-in-kerala) are being extensively searched by people looking for ayurvedic treatments.
Ayurveda promises to create an environment that leaved a person’s body & mind, composed. It is a concept that is speedily catching up with the west. It is a blessed art of medicine which has its roots deep within the heart of India. You can also enjoy Ayurveda in Delhi (http://www.travelshanti.com/packages/rejuvenation/india/ayurveda/ayurveda-package-in-delhi).

Anima Deorum
09 June 2013, 01:37 PM
For those of you who may not know what Ayurveda is, here is an over view.

Its terms, therefore, the biological humors, the elements and their qualities, do not originate from conceptual thought or scientific experiments but through direct observation of Nature herself. They represent the powers of Nature working within us, the great Gods or cosmic powers of the vital or life-plane to whom we must do homage (i.e. respect and follow their laws). Just as we have the powers of water, fire and wind working in the environment around us, so they work on a biological level within us. Just as allowing a fire to get too close will burn us externally, so allowing our inner fire to burn too highly will damage our internal organs.

Ayurveda is a form of naturalistic medicine or naturopathy. According to its wisdom it is Nature herself that heals. All we can do is assist in her process by attuning ourselves to her movements. Therefore, Ayurveda emphasizes the balancing of the life-force within us as the basis of all treatment. Ayurveda is based on diet and herbs for its treatment but uses many specially prepared mineral substances as well. It provides us with a complete life-regime through an integrated science of life-style counseling that deals with body and mind, and with both the individual and society. Its goal is not to suppress our symptoms but to give us the tools to understand our nature and live in harmony with it.

http://www.vedanet.com/

If anyone have any qusetions about ayurveda or health issues, feel free to ask:)

Thank you so much, Vedic Kings, for your introduction. This yogic path may be what I need for healing and to balance my heart and mind. I tend to overthink everything, so the simplicity of this path's theory and depth of experience and wisdom will be helpful.

Pranam.

kumarsonu
10 December 2013, 12:52 AM
The term 'Ayurveda' is made up of the two Sanskrit words 'Ayush' and 'Veda'. Ayush connotes life while Veda means science or knowledge. Therefore, 'Ayurveda' refers to the 'Science of Life' . Explore here to Know about Ayurveda Packages. (http://www.travelshanti.com/packages/rejuvenation/india/ayurveda) .

rakovsky
22 September 2016, 06:22 PM
Herbal treatment for cancer are that of blood cleansing herbs, such as red clover, dandelion, self-heal, stillingia, burdock etc. Circulatory stmulants, such as turmeric, zedoaria, saffron, safflower, myrrh madder and guggul. Immune strengthening tonic, which are ashwagandha, shatvari, guduchi, bala, shilajit and so on.
Thanks for sharing. I am sure that cancer can be treated at least with the help of herbs like you say.
I dislike chemotherapy and think it's probably one of the worst treatments.

Akami
17 December 2017, 11:52 PM
Hi,

You are explained the ayurveda in such a great manner. Iust now I understand the importance of ayurveda.

TTCUSM
26 December 2017, 09:21 PM
Jotta,

According to some interpretations of Indian history, Ayurveda, much like yoga, was part of a pre-Vedic tradition that was later absorbed into Hindu Dharma.
Take, for example, the rakshasas who healed Lakshman during his battle with Indrajeet; they were well-versed in the art of herbal healing.

EternalHindu
26 July 2018, 03:55 AM
Ayurveda is a system of medicine with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent. Globalized and modernized practices derived from Ayurveda traditions are a type of complementary or alternative medicine.:)

EternalHindu
25 September 2018, 06:16 AM
Ayurveda is a system of medicine with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent. Globalized and modernized practices derived from Ayurveda traditions are a type of alternative medicine. :)