PDA

View Full Version : Loveless

Haridas
03 November 2007, 07:27 PM
Namaste.
A Brahmin + a Westerner = Hell (metaphorically) for both.

Have you ever met someone of the opposite gender (or maybe the same gender for some) and felt an immediate romantic attraction? An attraction that extends far beyond lust, and even past love? A type of attraction that is equal to that of Shiva and Shakti?

I have just recently. The only problem? It is with a Brahmin girl, and it's a situation that makes you want to tear your hair out, especially when you cannot and will not settle with anyone else.

Love goes past religion, and it goes past jati. It goes past varna, and it goes past even family bonds. Should I have a relationship with her in any way, both of our families will be disappointed.

However, I feel that a relationship is inevitable, regardless of the fact that she is seen "superior" to me by, unfortunately, 50% of Hindus (including the Western Hindus).

What would I do in such a situation? Am I forbidden by the Scriptures to have a relationship with a Brahmin when I myself am an "outcaste"? Am I forbidden to love because I was born into a Jamaican-American Christian family?

I must admit, however, that I will completely ignore Scripture. Even if I will be reborn as a pig and slaughtered horrendously by a hungry farmer, it'll be worth it as long as I spend this life with her. Even if (and this is saying a lot), I'll be put in the position as an enemy to the Divine Mother Durga Herself, it'll be worth it if I spend my life with her. Maybe this gives you a peek into my feelings.

So I repeat my question - what would one do in such a situation? Would the wise man stay away from her, or would the wise man be a revolutionary, comparing with the likes of Ramanujacharya - he who invited the common Harijan to worship the Greatest of Gods, and Basaveshvara - he who denounced the upanayanam, denounced empty rituals, and decided to experience Shiva for himself?

So ends my rant/question.

izi
03 November 2007, 08:34 PM
become a rich doctor

marry the girl

now both you and the families are happy!

I doubt the gods care all that much. this is all petty human **** imho.

Haridas
03 November 2007, 08:45 PM
become a rich doctor

marry the girl

now both you and the families are happy!

Me and her (Her and I for the grammar police) are on good terms. We are into each other. Unfortunately, I can't get the Scriptures out of my mind when they forbid an outcaste to marry a Brahmin - scriptures such as the Garuda Purana and the Manusmriti (which I ultimately reject, but she may not).

From what I know, [Smriti] Scriptures promise a severe punishment for those not born in certain families - a MAJOR setback in the religion should these scriptures be authentic.

atanu
04 November 2007, 04:35 AM
become a rich doctor
----

Namaste LadyHydralisk,

I'm sure gods care. That is why all the pain and joy also. Shiva is known to have pleaded the cause of a love lorn friend named Sundara (who is said to be an attractive mental image of ugly Shiva) several times -- and that to two ladies, who were actually voluptous maids of Durga.

I suspect that this Sundara is none but Lord Vishnu.

For Haridas,

Marriage will often make the love vanish. Take your time and enjoy the sweet pain. Time knows what is in store.

Just love without wanting. Difficult eh?

Om

Haridas
04 November 2007, 04:48 PM
For Haridas,

Marriage will often make the love vanish. Take your time and enjoy the sweet pain. Time knows what is in store.

Om

Namaste.
"Just love without wanting."

What does that mean? Do you mean love as in brotherly love, or love as in pure romance and no lust?

Znanna
04 November 2007, 05:13 PM
Namaste,

To me, there are two issues, here. One regards ethics, that being what will make your girlfriend happy in her life. The other is more "what is love".

If you feel that you will be held back, restricted, in expressing LOVE as manifestation of Godz expression then do not marry, is my advice.

ZN

izi
05 November 2007, 12:25 AM
Namaste LadyHydralisk,

I'm sure gods care. That is why all the pain and joy also. Shiva is known to have pleaded the cause of a love lorn friend named Sundara (who is said to be an attractive mental image of ugly Shiva) several times -- and that to two ladies, who were actually voluptous maids of Durga.

I suspect that this Sundara is none but Lord Vishnu.

For Haridas,

Om

now that's good advice

atanu
05 November 2007, 03:19 AM
Namaste.
"Just love without wanting."

What does that mean? Do you mean love as in brotherly love, or love as in pure romance and no lust?

Namaste Haridas Ji,

Love is not wanting sex or wanting sweetness through romance. Those are distortions of Love.

Love is not wanting anything. But when in respect of another human being, it is the acts and thoughts of helping that another co-passenger towards God, since on the path people encounter pain. To share pain and to be a co-passenger in this journey, towards God, is Love -- from my perspective, a Jiva's perspective. This, however, may not be the perspective of you or anyone else.

What is destined to happen will hapen. But Love is free, there is no obstruction called society, norms, or culture etc., to Love.

Best wishes. May God allow your pure wishes.

Om