PDA

View Full Version : Which is true?

Haridas
06 November 2007, 06:11 PM
Namaste.
I know of 3 different myths about Maa Kali. She is depicted as the slayer of the demons, as Dakshinakali, and as one Who calmed the infant Shiva while She was dancing on the battlefield after Her victory.

Which of these stories about Her are true? How does the Dakshinakali story fit in with Shaktism since Mahakali has no consort? These questions are bugging me.

Arjuna
23 April 2008, 03:48 PM
Namaste.
I know of 3 different myths about Maa Kali. She is depicted as the slayer of the demons, as Dakshinakali, and as one Who calmed the infant Shiva while She was dancing on the battlefield after Her victory.
Which of these stories about Her are true? How does the Dakshinakali story fit in with Shaktism since Mahakali has no consort? These questions are bugging me.

1. All myths are symbolical stories which aren't to be taken as historical facts. So every myth of Kali shows some of Her aspects, in a relative sense all are true.
Ultimate Kali is Adya or Kalasankarshini, She is also known as Kamakalakali and Guhyakali. Dakshinakali is one of the ten aspects of Adya. Bhadrakali, who is killing demons, is a manifestation of divine wrath.

2. Kali has a consort, Mahakalabhairava. In fact original mutri of Dakshinakali is that where she sits on Mahakala's lingam. Standing Kali is a censored version ;)

Baobobtree
23 April 2008, 07:48 PM
2. Kali has a consort, Mahakalabhairava. In fact original mutri of Dakshinakali is that where she sits on Mahakala's lingam. Standing Kali is a censored version ;) Really? I've understood Kali in union with KalBhairo to be different from Kali standing a top Shiva (and that Kali in union, is only worshiped by Vamachara tantrics).

Arjuna
23 April 2008, 08:03 PM
Really? I've understood Kali in union with KalBhairo to be different from Kali standing a top Shiva (and that Kali in union, is only worshiped by Vamachara tantrics).

Kalika is the deity of Kaulachara and Vamachara. And in her dhyanas she is depicted as having viparIta-maithuna with Shiva. Standing Kali is a mask for pashus to hide the real symbolism. Her tongue coming out in fact stands for sexual arousal and menstrual flow (mukha is Sanskrit denotes both mouth and yoni). Just read Sahasranamas of Kali – they list dozens of names related to purely sexual symbolism.

Baobobtree
23 April 2008, 08:31 PM
Kalika is the deity of Kaulachara and Vamachara. And in her dhyanas she is depicted as having viparIta-maithuna with Shiva. Standing Kali is a mask for pashus to hide the real symbolism. Her tongue coming out in fact stands for sexual arousal and menstrual flow (mukha is Sanskrit denotes both mouth and yoni). Just read Sahasranamas of Kali – they list dozens of names related to purely sexual symbolism. You're sure of this? The tongue thing in particular sounds suspicious to me, as I've heard there was a poet named Krishananda who derived that particular symbol of Kali, from seeing a tribal girl bathing who stuck out her tongue in embarrassment at being seen nude.

Znanna
23 April 2008, 08:59 PM
Sticking tongue out provokes interesting reaction in women.

ZN
/just saying

Arjuna
24 April 2008, 03:04 AM
You're sure of this? The tongue thing in particular sounds suspicious to me, as I've heard there was a poet named Krishananda who derived that particular symbol of Kali, from seeing a tribal girl bathing who stuck out her tongue in embarrassment at being seen nude.

I am sure :). The whole image of Kali is of unlimited power, excessive sexuality, total independency and unconditioned grace. There is no place for embarrassment for That One who is the Absolute Consciousness! She is naked since She is the Truth fully revealed. Again, there are many interpretations which were developed to hide real doctrines from the profane. After islamic Indian society was anti-sexual, so naturally sexual symbolism was made less obvious.