PDA

View Full Version : Siddhis

Soul
08 November 2007, 06:00 PM
Hi All,

Siidhis are seen as a science, so I thought here is a good place to post this...

I was recently reading a book by a swami where he cited a few stories of yogis performing siddhis such as one swami who manifests a sewing machine from Delhi. His master says it is no good as he is stealing from a shop...

In another story this Swami is hungry for 3 weeks and doesn't want to beg and he is sitting by the Ganga when all of a sudden a hand appears out of the river holding a bowl of food. He takes that bowl and it is a never ending food supply bowl... he keeps it for 3 years until his master tells him to throw it back into the Ganga...

Also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFmyy4MHks

I don't know about all this...

The stories may be just fiction, to put across a meaning...???

The levitating guy ???

I have no interest in learning about any of these things, and I didn't want to finish reading the book , as I feel it is a waste of time and I'd rather read some other scriptures which don't mention any of this. When I was younger I couldn't even read Yoganandas book for the same reason...

Anyone else have insights on this stuff??

I know Patanjali and others have written and said that focusing on Siddhis is a distraction to true liberation...

Love,
Soul

Znanna
08 November 2007, 07:49 PM
Namaste,

I think that siddhis, "magick", are a by-product of joyful engagement with multiple possibilities.

Hey, when you define your own universe, who's to say what is or is not?

ZN

yajvan
08 November 2007, 08:15 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Hi All,

Siidhis are seen as a science, so I thought here is a good place to post this...

I was recently reading a book by a swami where he cited a few stories of yogis performing siddhis such as one swami who manifests a sewing machine from Delhi. His master says it is no good as he is stealing from a shop...

In another story this Swami is hungry for 3 weeks and doesn't want to beg and he is sitting by the Ganga when all of a sudden a hand appears out of the river holding a bowl of food. He takes that bowl and it is a never ending food supply bowl... he keeps it for 3 years until his master tells him to throw it back into the Ganga...

Namaste Soul,
AS you get use to the neighborhood, there is a HDF folder on Yoga.
Inside that folder is a section/folder On Patanjali . A good place for Siddhi discussions as Patanjali offers his Yoga Sutras which outlines the method and siddhi's one could practice.

Here's one post that will lead you to this:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909

My take and studies suggest siddhis are very possible and do-able. Many say they lead the sadhu astray , and I can see the truth in this. Yet my position is why would one of the greatest rishi's of yore ( Patanjali muni) consider siddhi's? What was he thinking to offer this up to folks on the path if it is a distraction? If the sutra's are stitches of wisdom, why would Patanjali-ji waste one breath at all on this and not pay attention to other area's of import?

IMHO these techniques assist to develop higher states of consciousness. To be able to have 'pure awareness' be active while one is active. Grooming samadhi for active life.

Can it go sideways? - I bet it can.

pranams,

Soul
08 November 2007, 08:19 PM
Hey, when you define your own universe, who's to say what is or is not?

Very true...

For me, there is no bigger joy than abiding in/as Self...

I guess I want to know why so many stories about siddhis spread by yogis... what is the lesson or purpose?

I thought maybe someone may have ideas as to the purpose, because as I see it many yogis have goal of Self-realization and I don't at this point understand how siddhis have anything to do with Self-realization...

There is still an "i" that can "do" something special. Why show it to the public? Seems egoic...

ha, ha... lots of questions !

Something likes questioning ...

Love to All,
Soul

Soul
08 November 2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks Yajvan,

Will read post...

And keep open..
seeing an opinion forming (or already formed) ...
now...
seeing not identifying with it...

Namaskar,
Soul

satay
08 November 2007, 10:34 PM
Hi All,

Also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFmyy4MHks

I don't know about all this...

Soul

I do. It's a fake. Look at the 15 sec in the following video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3E1VPuLACo

Soul
08 November 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi Satay,

Ha, Ha...
Yes , it's pretty clear to see on the 15th second.

Oh well , he might have made some money to buy some lunch :)

Peace to you,
Soul

yajvan
09 November 2007, 10:28 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

Satay's keen eye
It's a fake. Look at the 15 sec in the following video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3E1VPuLACo

the siddhi that Patanjali offers does not require a stick [ nor the one that sticks out horizontally from this individuals vertical pole ]. Nor does one lean-or-tilt to the left as this person is doing in the film clip.

It is the association of the body (Lagna) with akasha. Once this is made, then one can experience the lightness of an atom, or a fibre in the air, or what ever one chooses. Moving forward is all a matter of intent ...just the slightest intent. Just like when you walk - you do not go though a big conversation with yourself ' now I'm am going to get up and walk', you just have the slightest intent and the nervous system responds and does all the necessary circuitry. Like that , this intent is at the root of the siddhi when practiced correctly.

Siddhi's are not for spectacle purposes... one need not be a three ring circus to move their sadhana forward. Of this there is on doubt.

pranams,

Eastern Mind
09 November 2007, 05:13 PM
My take on siddhis is that they are a boon to the awakened souls or about to be awakened souls. Really enlightened beings have them, but they are not part of ego. They are used to help the closest of disciples come closer to their quest. self-realisation. Clairvoyance, clairaudience, intuitive reading of past lives, etc are natural progressions. When one is in the presence of such souls, you can sometimes know of their siddhis..ie. a question being answered before its spoken aloud = clairaudience, but I believe this is because the enlightened one's guard was down. For ordinary Joe such as myself, a siddhi would be a curse, as my ego definitely wouldn't handle it. Aum Namasivaya

Soul
09 November 2007, 07:59 PM
Namaskar Eastern Mind...

Yes, clairvoyance, clairaudience ...I can see that could be helpful in dispelling darkness in the mind of ignorance, if it develops ,as you say, as a natural progression...
It would be egoic to therefore think " I have such and such an ability"... Back in the realm of separation...

If these abilities do arise, there would be no ownership...

Aum Namah Shivaya..

Soul

Ps... Where is the ego that couldn't handle it? Is that not a thought?... What if that thought arose "I could not handle it" and you were to return to the place from where that thought arose? Discriminate.... between the real and not real... is the thought real?

Eastern Mind
10 November 2007, 02:04 PM
Namaskar Eastern Mind...

Ps... Where is the ego that couldn't handle it? Is that not a thought?... What if that thought arose "I could not handle it" and you were to return to the place from where that thought arose? Discriminate.... between the real and not real... is the thought real?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The ego that couldn't handle it is within me. I've had certain shall we say mystical experiences, and spouted it off based on my ego, and had repercussions for it. And yes of course its a thought. I still have thoughts. The thought is real. I am nowhere near the point in evolution where I can find the place where the "I" means the 'Self within" . My "I' is still ego based. Philosophically, and intellectually, I understand I think what you mean, but in intellectual honesty within myself, I do not identify with this "Self" we talk of. Not yet at least. It is destiny, although, given a few more lifetimes. At least we.ve heard of its existence. that's closer than 90% of the planet. Aum Namasivaya

Soul
10 November 2007, 05:13 PM
Dear EasternMind...

It is thoughts such as these which veil the Self or keep you bound...

To quote you... "I am nowhere near the point in evolution where I can find the place where the "I" means the 'Self within" . My "I' is still ego based."...

Are you willing to let them go? Not deny they arise, or try and stop them arising again, but not believing them....see them for what they are .. thoughts...

This is the way to Self...

Moment by moment discriminate between the real ( the silence underneath the thoughts, or where the thoughts arise from, or that which allows thoughts to arise in the first place) from the unreal (thoughts, feelings)...
This doesn't mean you don't act on any thoughts...

Love,
Soul

Eastern Mind
10 November 2007, 05:27 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know exactly what you're saying. Its just that words are intellectual. "Wisdom is the application of knowledge." What I'm saying is that's its easy intellectually, but to apply it on a moment to moment basis, another story. That is what I find difficult. Those who spout that that's what they do are either misleading themselves, or actually are. I am thinking of Siva right now, because I am here, and looking at a picture of God as I write. But then, out in the forces of the world, where worldly decisions have to be made, and non-spiritual vibrations abound, it is far more difficult to maintain the concepts of "Its all God" or "just karma coming and going" or "I am just the channel" We are the self beyond the mind at all times, we just don't know it. For me its usually still an intellectual concept, except for instances while standing in front of Lord Siva at a temple, or whilst in meditation, or occasionally out in nature. I wish that weren't true, but I'm just being intellectually honest. Maybe I've seen too many people, so called devotees of God, who will have a nice spiritual discussion like this, all heavenly and all, act peacefully at the temple or at a meeting, and then yell at their children or wives to hurry up and get in the car. Perhaps that has led me to my touch of cynicism. Aum Namasivaya

Soul
10 November 2007, 06:28 PM
Hi EasternMind...

There are so many thoughts that block actual experience... such as (to quote you)...

"But then, out in the forces of the world, where worldly decisions have to be made, and non-spiritual vibrations abound, it is far more difficult to maintain the concepts of "Its all God" "...

But you have to play around with such thoughts until you see for yourself that they are a hindrance to Self-realization...

I wouldn't waste my time looking at others and thinking they are not self-realized, such as the people you speak of at the temples...
Keep looking at yourself... focus your energy on seeing within yourself the thoughts that arise which stop you from seeing and living as your true Self....

It's continuous... moment by moment... one thought at a time...

Now... don't entertain any thought that it is difficult....

Now... Now and Now....until that thought has no power anymore...

Even if you do get caught in suffering , in reaction, in idea of separation (out in the world)... still, don't entertain any thought that it is difficult... don't entertain any thoughts of judgment...
As soon as you are aware that you are caught ... go back to where the thought came from...

Keep practicing... It will get easier....

Wishing you to see you ARE Peace itself...

Soul