PDA

View Full Version : New Hindu

satay
20 March 2006, 10:06 AM
In so many ways, I am a "new hindu" since most of my adult life I turned atheist and stop believing in the supreme. Until about 2 and half years ago when I was awaken by the supreme himself with a loud bang! What was the need of my awakening only he knows but here I am 'awake' and back on the path to Godhead (I think!):)

satay

srev2004
22 March 2006, 06:32 PM
I am not a true Hindu, but I abosultely adore the ideology.

satay
22 March 2006, 08:09 PM
I am not a true Hindu, but I abosultely adore the ideology.

namaste serv,
Nice to see you on these forums and welcome.
What do you mean you are not a true hindu? What's a true hindu? :)

satay

Vany
24 March 2006, 02:11 AM
Namaste, my name is Vanessa and I live in France. I am pretty new in Hinduism as well. This site was recommended to me by Devi who started out in this forum as well...
I hope I'll be able top get to know the community better and work out my new ideas...i loook forward to talking with everyone here:)

satay
24 March 2006, 09:11 AM
Namaste, my name is Vanessa and I live in France. I am pretty new in Hinduism as well. This site was recommended to me by Devi who started out in this forum as well...
I hope I'll be able top get to know the community better and work out my new ideas...i loook forward to talking with everyone here:)

namaste,
Nice to have you here and Welcome!
There are a lot of knowledgable members here but there are rooky hindus like myself also. Please feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.

satay

Vany
24 March 2006, 09:39 AM
Thank you very much:)
I will ask , in case I have a question....:)

Namo Narayana
24 March 2006, 09:52 PM
Thank you very much:)
I will ask , in case I have a question....:)

Vanessa, welcome to the forum. keep participating. it will only help other new hindus to come out and talk.

devisarada
28 March 2006, 10:34 PM

Welcome to this new forum, I hope you will browse all of the forums on this site.

I highly recommend Sarabhanga's informed posts, as well as Satay's. There are many others here on Hindu Dharma Forums who have much to offer, but these are two of my favourites.

devisarada
28 March 2006, 10:59 PM
I was not born a Hindu. Therefore, I am always learning. It is as much a way of life as it is a way of thinking and being.

I am fortunate to be married to a Hindu, who is still teaching me the Hindu way of life. It is not just yoga, but it is seeing God in every one and every living thing.

My husband's family is becoming more comfortable with being Hindu in Canada and are not as shy about showing it as they used to be. So we recently had an outdoor Holi/Phagwah celebration with all of the coloured powders, perfume, chowtal singing, dancing, noise and merriment. I haven't had so much fun in a long time, I felt like a little kid again! :D

I tell you this to let all the new Hindus know that the practice of Hinduism as a way of life is many-faceted. Hinduism is a rich tapestry woven with many coloured threads of diverse beauty and sometimes seeming oxymorons.((like "expressive silence") Its logic is not always linear, but can be circular, and sometimes even spherical.:confused:

The more I learn, the less I realize that I know.

satay
28 March 2006, 11:44 PM
The more I learn, the less I realize that I know.

Socrates, "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."

:)
satay

coolbodhi
30 March 2006, 06:50 PM
I don't consider myself a hindu yet though I am very attracted to it.

Gill Harley
04 April 2006, 10:47 AM
... I was awaken by the supreme himself with a loud bang! What was the need of my awakening only he knows but here I am 'awake' and back on the path to Godhead (I think!):)

satay

Satay

I'm not sure I'm not alone in wanting to know how you were awoken by the Supreme! Please tell us your awakening story, if you don't mind others knowing ...I find these sorts of accounts the most inspiring of all. :)

satay
04 April 2006, 12:25 PM
Satay

I'm not sure I'm not alone in wanting to know how you were awoken by the Supreme! Please tell us your awakening story, if you don't mind others knowing ...I find these sorts of accounts the most inspiring of all. :)

let's just say that Bhagwan will not interfere with our karma but Shiva is called Bholenath for a reason...

This universe is a dance...when the dancer is dancing the dance exist when he stops the dance disappears...

Who is this dancer?

satay

nekozuki
08 April 2006, 06:23 PM
I've been Hindu for about a year now ;)

satay
08 April 2006, 06:45 PM

namaste,
Welcome to Hinduism and to this forum!
Hope to see more of your posts...:)
satay

Namo Narayana
08 April 2006, 08:29 PM

what lead you to hinduism nekozuki ?

nekozuki
09 April 2006, 04:25 PM
I realized the Christian church did not bring me closer to God. So I did some research into other religions, came across Hinduism, studied it, and fell in love with it. After my conversion I had a dream of Vishnu's serpent, Shesha. It was a very inspiring experience.

srev2004
09 April 2006, 07:30 PM
I am not a true Hindu because if I was, I wouldn't have materialised on this Earth in such a violent and materialistic world. I also don't have respect for all life, since I eat meat, and I am not completely devoted to God. I have many materialistic desires, maybe I'll grow out of this phase and become enlightened, but up until then me claiming to be a Dharma followers is quite hypocritical.

Namo Narayana
09 April 2006, 08:37 PM
rev, i think following dharma and calling yourself one , you are on your way to become what you say above. living as a samsari i dont think you can lead a quite unmaterialistic life.

nekozuki
09 April 2006, 09:14 PM
It's pretty difficult to get away from materialistic things in this day and age. Wonder what would happen if civilization got destroyed and we all had to go back to the good ol' days :D

srev2004
11 April 2006, 03:26 PM
It's pretty difficult to get away from materialistic things in this day and age. Wonder what would happen if civilization got destroyed and we all had to go back to the good ol' days :D

Material in the sense, I work for money, not for service to humanity. I go to school for myself, not for the knowledge I will contribute.

nekozuki
11 April 2006, 08:32 PM
While you do need money you also need to work and make money because you enjoy helping people, otherwise it ends up being a miserable job.

Devibhakta
17 April 2006, 08:11 AM
Namaste to all,

I just posted some of my story in the Shakta thread, so I won't repeat it here, but I'll continue by saying that because I found, or was found by, Devi, I can and do consider myself to be a Hindu as a descendant of those very most ancient peoples for whom their Deity was the Goddess, and Who has been uninterruptedly worshipped for around 9000 years. I can understand and accept why the Vedas must be authoritative, because they were the first scriptures, prayers, rituals, and so on, of the human race, and how could they ever have lost that authority? Everything that has come since may indeed have its own type of authority, but it all started, I believe, with the very dawn of human consciousness. I am happy having the certainty that I do, that our Deity is Devi (mine, anyway), and that there is a place for all of us in Sanatana Dharma.

Om shantih shantih shantih.

nekozuki
17 April 2006, 07:58 PM
Nice to meet you Devibhakta :)

devisarada
24 April 2006, 06:04 AM
Namaste,

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me.

A yound friend of mine asked me why some Hindu girls wear a red dot between their eye-brows, and I believe the answer is more complicated than my understanding of it. Perhaps someone could explain further.

I told her that the dot represented the "third eye" of spirituality, or looking inward, and that the colour red was used by married women as a symbol of their marriage, and the honour of their husbands.

Then she asked, why then, did she see little girls of 8 or 11 years of age wearing them. I said, it might be that they have already been betrothed to their future husband.

She didn't think that was the case here.

I have also noticed t some brahmacharinis also wearing a sindur dot on their forehead.

So, my question is, besides marriage in the case of a woman, what else does the red dot symbolize? We could perhaps get into the symbolism of markings, red, or other wise, but here my specific concern is the red dot worn by women.

sarabhanga
29 April 2006, 07:00 AM
Namaste Devi,

A “red dot” on the forehead is the Bindu of Sindura ~ the Indu of the Sindhu ~ a drop or a spark from the Ocean of Light ~ a solar disc that illuminates the Atma and shades the Ajna Cakra or “third eye” of all blessed Hindus.

Marriage is traditionally indicated by a red mark in the parting of the hair of a married woman ~ her maiden’s head is split and bleeds symbolically to show her status as a wife and mother.