PDA

View Full Version : Same-sex love?

ardhanari
17 November 2007, 04:49 AM
Namaste!

Evading my essay which is due in four hours, (XD) I'm wondering about the allowances of same-sex attraction.

Skip the sexual attraction, since it doesn't really exist in this concept. I'm talking about the so-called "romantic friendships" of the late 1800's, platonic friendships, and this romantic attraction for someone of the same-sex. Something very close to the Biblical stories of David and Jonathan, Jesus and John, and Gaudiya Vaishnavism's Gadadhara and Lord Caitanya. One can even extend this to Lord Krishna and Arjuna, Buddha and Ananda, and whatnot, lol.

If same-sex love is allowable, what would be allowable gestures in public to show in Vedic culture, and what kinds of misunderstandings or prejudices would one meet if one were to express such a relationship? Has there been romantic friendships or such a concept in Vaidika Dharma, historical allowances, etc.?

As an asexual, romantic preferences and sexual preferences are two totally different things, and I try to separate them all the time.

Hari Om,
Ardhanari.

saidevo
17 November 2007, 08:45 AM
Perhaps Lord Rama is an ideal example and role model for the type of love and behaviour you are seeking: check his love and behaviour towards his friends and relatives: Lakshmana, Bharata and other younger brothers, Anjaneya, Guha, Shukriva and Vibhishena.

There can be no blemishes or excesses of display of love and affection, if you follow Rama's example, in my opinion.

Znanna
17 November 2007, 07:01 PM
Namaste,

Love is not a body thing, therefore sex has nothing to do with it IMO.

Love IS ... and its expression is not contingent on physical attributes.

ZN

Nuno Matos
17 November 2007, 07:29 PM
Namaste Znanna

There are many types of Love. But Love is always the same.

yajvan
18 November 2007, 05:13 PM
Hari om
~~~~~

Namaste,

Love is not a body thing, therefore sex has nothing to do with it IMO.
Love IS ... and its expression is not contingent on physical attributes.

ZN

Agree...body is that of passion. A wise person told be 'do not confuse what you do, with who you are.'

Nuno Matos
18 November 2007, 06:14 PM
Namaste Zanana & Yajvan

From the Rig-Veda; X, xc: The Sacrifice of Primal Man

With sacrifice the gods
Made sacrifice to sacrifice:
These were the first religious rites (dharma),
To the firmament these powers went up
Where dwell the ancient Sadhya gods.

Nuno Matos
18 November 2007, 06:20 PM
Namaste

Bhagavad-GitA; X, IV to V

IV. Intellet (buddhi), wisdom, freedom from delusion,
Long suffering, thruth, restrain, tranquillity,
Pleasure and pain, coming-to-be and passing away,
Fear and fearlessness as well,

V. Refusal to do harm, equanimity (samatA), content,
Austerity, open-handedness, fame and infamy -
Such are the dispositions (bhAvA) of contingent beings,
And from Me in all their diversity they arise.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/misc/progress.gif Hindu Scriptures, Translations by Dominic Goodall

Nuno Matos
18 November 2007, 06:28 PM
Namaste

From the BrhadArañyaka UpanishAd

IV,iv

I. [And YAjñavalkya went on:] " When this self grows weak and seems all confused, then do the bodly faculties (prAna) gather round Him. He collects around him those elements of light (tejas) and descend right dow (eva) into the heart. When the "person" present in the eye turns away, back [towards the sun], he no longer recognizes forms.

Om namah shivaya!

Nuno Matos
18 November 2007, 06:33 PM
Namaste

From Sharabhanga Giri Site on the internet:

" Any path is only a path
They all lead nowhere
The question is:
Does this path have a heart?"

Sagefrakrobatik
23 March 2008, 07:42 PM
In a somewhat related note--did you know?--Gay is the new terrorism. Al Qaida your being replaced by the Village People and BIn Laden take a hike were looking for that queerball George Michael.

Oklahoma Lawmaker: Gays Pose Greater Threat To America Than Terrorists
ABC News
Published on March 14, 2008

An Oklahoma state representative has received thousands of hostile e-mail messages after she said that homosexuality is a bigger threat to national security than terrorism.
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is investigating more than 17,000 mostly hostile e-mails that were sent to State Rep. Sally Kern after parts of a speech she gave to a Republican organization earlier this year were posted on YouTube, said bureau spokeswoman Jessica Brown. Listen to portions of the speech.
During the speech, Kern said that "the homosexual agenda is just destroying this nation" and that homosexuality poses a bigger threat to the United States than terrorism. "According to God's word, that is not the right kind of lifestyle," she said.
"Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades," Kern, a former teacher who sits on the education committee, added.
Her speech, first posted online earlier this week by the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, has generated national attention. The recording has been viewed more than 500,000 times on YouTube. Since then, Kern's office has been bombarded by angry phone calls and e-mails. Several gay rights organizations have called for her to resign and local newspapers have criticized her.