PDA

View Full Version : Occam's razor

yajvan
25 November 2007, 01:47 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~
Namaste,

When one considers a point of view or listens to the wisdom of a school of thought, how does one decide which one is most suited for ones practice, additional study and pursuit?

We can get really fancy and use some key principles of the Nyaya school of thinking ( one of the 6 systems of Indian Philosophy) and its 16 topics observed by this system. This approach is excellent and cultures the mind and makes it IMHO opinion razor sharp in discrimination.

Yet there is another 'razor' we may want to consider… that of Occam's razor ( some write Ockham's razor).This system purportedly traces back to a 14th century Logistician and Franciscan Monk, William of Ockham. Some will argue that this is not attributed to William, yet the true author of this thinking is Aristotle. In either case, we are in good company.

What is this Occam's razor? It is a mind set, a way of viewing things in a very simple and pragmatic form. To boil it down the principle is this:
Lex parsimoniae or the law of parsimony -the law of succinctness. That is, All [other] things being equal, the simplest solution is the best.

When there are multiple competing ideas, notions, hypothesis, etc. this approach suggests , choose the one theory, idea, etc. that introduces the least amount of assumptions and the fewest entities within the idea. This for me says, look for the approach that is simple. [for me simple = elegant].

What does William say ? "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" - 'entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity.' That is don't make things complex if at all possible.

I have used this notion for a while and apply it to much of my studies. I also have found this a complimentry rule that has served me well. Do not be come attached to that approach or theory, or practice if a better explanation is offered. I have thrown out many an idea for a new one that was more elegant ( simple) and explained the issue, idea, problem, in a comprehensive why , yet met the simplicity gold standard.

I bring this up to ask others if they have found a way for evaluating ideas, notions, readings, theories and the like.

I think this gentleman said it best:
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein.

pranams

Soul
27 November 2007, 02:22 PM
Namaste Yajvan,

I think the way to evaluate theories etc, is though experience...

Hari Om,
Soul

yajvan
27 November 2007, 02:48 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Yajvan,

I think the way to evaluate theories etc, is though experience...
Hari Om, Soul

Namaste,

Indeed this is a good route, yet what to do when there are several theories/practices? And that the fruit of the practice may take time e.g. months, years to unfold? then what to do ?

This was the notion give by William above... he says ' if all things are equal' then pick the one that is simple.

Yes, I think experience is the best guru. That said we are allotted so many breaths on this earth for this life; Getting to 'yep this was the right choice' is the blessing of picking right when-ever possible.

Thank you for your post and your ideas...

pranams,