PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait or leave?

ardhanari
28 November 2007, 02:49 PM
Being in so many religions in the past, I am very much afraid that my love for Krishna will pass again and that this is only a brief moment. I have been a New Ager, a Wiccan, a Pentecostal, a Catholic, and at present, a Baha'i for a year now. But I have always loved Krishna, and I desire to let my Baha'i identity go to follow Him exclusively.

Should I continue and wait for another year of study until I can be sure of myself, or should I leave around March or even for less of a year as my heart is inclining towards? I desire to practice Gaudiya Vaishnavism in full, but carrying my Baha'i identity is like trying to serve both Baha'u'llah and Krishna, while I find the latter more provoking to my own heart.

What should I do?

Radhe Shyam,
Ardhanari.

sm78
28 November 2007, 11:25 PM
At your age this is not surprising. You bear some resemblance in your indecision to choose a path, to Orlando who used to post here frequently sometime back.

I think its as important to have one's common sense wisdom and critical thinking open as it is to follow the heart's desire.

That's all.

ardhanari
29 November 2007, 02:43 AM
Yeah... I sort of had a moment where I realised that I should put some time into what I am getting into... XD At the moment, I will continue studying Hindu and Gaudiya Vaishnava Scriptures, as well as practicing sankirtana, daily japa (of Hare Krishna mahamantra, of course), puja, and following the regulative principles (I am still working on the caffeine; otherwise, I am fine, lol).

I don't need an organisation or instantaneous initiation to follow Krishna... right now. :) We'll see what happens in the next two years, or at least until my next birthday. There are many questions that I do have on Gaudiya Vaishnavism (literalism, taboo on left hands, etc.) that still slightly shake me and make me want to lean towards the Neo-Vedantic movement. XD

Harebol!
Ardhanari.

meez
29 November 2007, 12:04 PM
Hello!

You may not have to leave anything, my friend. You can have beliefs from many different faiths, philosophies, etc. You can love Krishna and follow Krishna's teachings, while at the same time finding other aspects of other religions/philosophies that you can follow and learn from. Try not to force yourself to be labeled as, or follow a specific religion if your beliefs don't lead you there.

I wish you the best my friend, take care.

Arvind Sivaraman
30 November 2007, 02:11 AM
Being in so many religions in the past, I am very much afraid that my love for Krishna will pass again and that this is only a brief moment. I have been a New Ager, a Wiccan, a Pentecostal, a Catholic, and at present, a Baha'i for a year now. But I have always loved Krishna, and I desire to let my Baha'i identity go to follow Him exclusively.

Should I continue and wait for another year of study until I can be sure of myself, or should I leave around March or even for less of a year as my heart is inclining towards? I desire to practice Gaudiya Vaishnavism in full, but carrying my Baha'i identity is like trying to serve both Baha'u'llah and Krishna, while I find the latter more provoking to my own heart.

What should I do?

Radhe Shyam,
Ardhanari.

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Ardhanari.
Great Saints have mentioned that, come what may you must stick to your religion and bolster.(Bolster meaning Guru).Think deeply about it and then take a decision.

Kaos
30 November 2007, 08:06 AM
http://www.krishnadas.it/Krishna%20Murari%20and%20Radha_file/image002.jpg

I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am a friend to him.

-Bhagavad Gita Ch.9 v.29

Eastern Mind
30 November 2007, 05:54 PM
I agree with the person who mentioned your age. I've been studying one path for 36 years, and still feel like a baby. Its kind of like a job. You have to commit for a long while before deciding. At age 19, to have been through so many, well it seems like too much hopping around to get a real true sense. But then that's just my opinion. Aum Namashivaya

ardhanari
01 December 2007, 01:41 AM
Allah-u-Abha! (God is Most Glorious!)

Eastern Mind, 36 years is quite a hefty long time! I wouldn't have realised the immensity of Hindu Dharma, being isolated spiritually from other Hindus who I can communicate with who are Englishly versed.

I do feel like hopping, and after talking with another Baha'i about this, I have come to a conclusion of patience instead. He does say that in a way, I have created my own religion, because although I do not explicitly reject Baha'u'llah and His Teachings, I am following the Religion of God from an "older Dispensation."

I am just going to continue going to the Baha'i Feasts, sometimes participate in Ruhi (Baha'i book course), daily practices (reading the Baha'i Writings every morn and eventide, recite Allah-u-Abha [God is Most Glorious] 95 times, and say my Obligatory Prayer), and simultaneously do Gaudiya Vaishnavite practices (sankirtan, japa for 16 rounds minimum, puja). Perhaps I may be out of this predicament in the future, whether near or far. Although I do feel more spiritually obliged to perform the latter activities, I do the former in my sense of spiritual duty, being physically part of the Baha'i Faith.

But as a person told me, "Don't worry!" I will continue this until something happens, lol. But eventually, I must follow one. For being a Baha'i and following Gaudiya Vaishnava principles is in a sense, not following the laws of Baha'u'llah, and thus not loving Him or accepting Him as Messenger of God for this Age. Following Baha'i principles as a Krishna bhakta is associating with impersonalists, and can potentially make me reincarnated again. Unless I am forced to choose, I am sure that God will eventually pave my path for me...

In any case, a) I am going to try not to worry and make such a haste decision, despite my apparent feelings of "senility," and b) I just wish to serve and devote my whole self to Krishna, and I will try to do it in the best way I can. :)

Jaya Radhe,
Ardhanari.

ardhanari
01 December 2007, 01:50 AM
Meez, thank you for your words! Unfortunately, Baha'u'llah makes Himself very clear that to love Him is to love God. Thus, to follow His Laws is to follow the Laws of God. One of those Laws is not to make a distinction between the Manifestations of God (of which I have done with Krishna and Baha'u'llah), another is that physical idols and the idols of superstition or vain imaginations are forbidden (another whoopsie), and by following Krishna, I am, in a sense, following an old Dispensation, while the Baha'i Faith is all about following the new Dispensation, the Dispensation of Baha'u'llah.

It is very difficult; I have to deal with ISKCON's version of Gaudiya Vaishnavism (so I do not know what is specific to them as opposed to ther others). I'm not sure if I believe that the left hand and pointed finger are 'inauspicious' or that being a non-vegetarian can bring us back to a hellish existence. And the literalism can bug me as well, being that the Baha'i Faith interprets the world's Scriptures rather metaphorically...

Anyways, lots of problems and conundrums. But I pray that they will all dissipate with time as I spend more time learning more deeply with these two religious traditions...

Haribol,
Ardhanari.

sarabhanga
01 December 2007, 02:39 AM
Namaste Ardhanari,

Since Mirza Husayn Ali (alias Baha'u'llah) was an Islamic reformer, the "old Dispensation" must be Islam, which only allows the worship of one "idol of superstition and vain imagination" ~ the Makara Linga, which is the emblem of Kamadeva, the regent of Shukra (Venus), which is sacred to Friday. And Mirza Husayn Ali declared that not even the great Makara should be worshipped.

Trying to follow a particularly advaitic interpretation of Islam (i.e. Baha'i) and a particularly dvaitic interpretation of Hinduism (i.e. ISKCON) simultaneously is bound to cause confusion !!!

ardhanari
01 December 2007, 04:03 AM
Sarabhangaji,
Namaste!

"When will a faithful seeker be found who will don the garb of pilgrimage, attain the Ka'bih of the heart's desire, and, without ear or tongue, discover the mysteries of divine utterance?"

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 70)

Well, the Baha'i Faith asserts that it is a new Revelation (and thus a newly revealed Religion) and not a mere reform of Islam. Thus, He accepts Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Krishna, Buddha, Christ, Muhammad, and the Bab as Manifestations of God (Perfect Beings who manifest all the Names and Attributes of God in total perfection). But Although they are one because the Holy Spirit within Them is eternal, the Manifestation comes upon Earth from every age to bring people to the true Religion.

Thus, Baha'u'llah is claimed to be the Maitreya, Fifth Buddha, Kalki Avatar, Ninth Incarnation of Krishna, Shah of Bahram, Great News or Great Announcement, Christ returned in the Glory of the Father, Messiah, Al-Mahdi, basically, the bringer of Satya Yuga.

"[B]Were We to make mention of all that hath been revealed in these heavenly Books and holy Scriptures concerning this Revelation, this Tablet would assume impossible dimensions."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 13)

And of course, what would the Baha'i Faith be without the warnings attributed to leaving or rejecting Baha'u'llah's Divine Mission?

In the Tablet of Ahmad, Baha'u'llah says:

"Be thou assured in thyself that verily, he who turns away from this Beauty [Baha'u'llah] hath also turned away from the Messengers of the past and showeth pride towards God from all eternity to all eternity."

I would say that the Baha'i concept of God is very unique. It asserts that yes, there is only One God that is ultimately unknowable, ineffable, unperceivable, incomprehensible, etc. No meditation, no ecstasy, no prayer will ever allow us to understand God fully. At the same time, the limited conceptions that humans make of God is a mental creation, of which is seen as a 'revelation of God'.

Again, Baha'u'llah also sees that Nature shows to us the Will of God, and all Names and Attributes that we make of God are actually from the Manifestations. And to even further assert an almost panentheistic belief, Baha'is claim that every atom in itself is a Revelation of God, and that the very soul and heart, being a throne of God, contains the keys, secrets of the universe. Although the soul and God are separate, they are eternal.

And of course, Gaudiya Vaishnavism is quite personalist, that God has a body that is large and incomprehensible. Nevertheless, God has a form and was never formless. To even say that God is formless is considered un-Vedic! Lord Chaitanya never did appreciate the uncouth mayavadis and impersonalists who metaphorically spat at his interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam, so he enjoined his followers not to be so much in the company of impersonalists (advaitins, also includes Muslims, Jews, and perhaps Baha'is) and mayavadis (basically, atheists, many Hindus, monists, etc.). This is still largely followed today.

Mixing together the Baha'i Faith (which would work wonderfully with Advaita Vedanta, and even Visishtadvaita Vedanta) and of course, the personalist Dvaitic Gaudiya Vaishnava Hinduism is mighty confusing and a terrible, mental headache with nothing but intellectual clashing. XD

Frankly, my mind is flexible. As long as the God-concept there, everything else is secondary. Still, I find it very difficult to put both together... especially with the Baha'i exegesis being primarily of a metaphorical nature, while Gaudiya Vaishnavism, or at least ISKCON's version of it, takes everything rather literally...

Thanks for pointing that out. XD God bless!
Hare Krishna,
Ardhanari.

ardhanari
01 December 2007, 04:14 AM
Thank you, Kaos, for the quote! ^___^

"Place thy heart upon Me as I have declared Myself to be, serve Me, offer unto Me alone, and bow down before Me alone, and thou shalt come to Me; I swear it, for thou art dear to Me."

Bhagavad Gita, 18:65

c.smith
18 December 2007, 10:39 PM
To your original post, I would like to extend my "philosophy".

I've often likened religion to college/school. If you want to be a musician, you go to "music school", a baker you go to "cooking school", etc. You've discovered that you are not a beautician, so you no longer go to cosmetology class. School, like religion, is all about learning - learning who we are in relation to the world and everything else. Follow your heart, pick a path, and ride it out for a while. When/if it's the one, your soul will know. Many religions teach the same thing (in the end). It's just choosing which road to follow that will successfully from point A to point B. Your religious experiences of past have brought you to the point where you are now, a gift in itself.

In the beginning, ask simple questions. Do I believe in "God"? Who am I? How did I get here and where will I go? How would your religious experiences of past answer some of these basic questions?

From my previous posts, it's clear to me that even under the umbrella of "Hinduism", there are many paths which one could follow. It's only by the mercy of Siva that I'm where I am today.

Om Namah Sivaya

atanu
19 December 2007, 12:08 AM
Sarabhangaji,
Namaste!
-Thus, He accepts Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Krishna, Buddha, Christ, Muhammad, and the Bab as Manifestations of God (Perfect Beings who manifest all the Names and Attributes of God in total perfection). But Although they are one because the Holy Spirit within Them is eternal, the Manifestation comes upon Earth from every age to bring people to the true Religion.

Namaste,

Why don't you rather believe in the holy spirit that is within you and which is same as holy spirit that is within the manifestations that are apparently pulling you in diverse directions.

Either you will be torn or you will submit to the holy within.

"Be thou assured in thyself that verily, he who turns away from this Beauty [Baha'u'llah] hath also turned away from the Messengers of the past and showeth pride towards God from all eternity to all eternity."

Do not worry. Turning to the holy spirit within does not amount to breaking of any rule whatsoever, since all scriptures finally urge us towards that. In fact, all scriptures and all manifestations will cheer you.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
19 December 2007, 04:18 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

What should I do?

Namaste ardhanari,

I am not posting to tell you what to do... as others have offered wise words. In the final analysis you are the owner of the decision here, yes?

Asking opinions of others on this important matter is wise, but if it does not feel right, perhaps more time is needed?

Patience is the companion of wisdom - St. Augustine

pranams,

devotee
19 December 2007, 11:32 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste ardhanari,

I am not posting to tell you what to do... as others have offered wise words. In the final analysis you are the owner of the decision here, yes?

Asking opinions of others on this important matter is wise, but if it does not feel right, perhaps more time is needed?

Patience is the companion of wisdom - St. Augustine

pranams,

Nothing more than what Yajuvan has already tried to convey but just to add my bit :

Dear Ardhanari,

The west has been struggling to decide on the form & the label of God since the dark age. "Got is YHSHWH" .... "God is Allah" .... "Jesus is the way" ..... the problem doesn't end here. It leads to : "My God is better/superior than yours .... Accept my "God" or else ... !!" This has resulted in many (un)holy wars in that name. Millions have been killed, burnt alive ... & what not !

Human nature varies widely from one person to the other. Therefore his physical, psychological & spiritual requirements are different. Therefore, everyone must have his own idea of spirituality, God, etc. My dear friend, God has no name ... This poor chap never had a mother who could have given Him a proper name. All the names & forms are creation of human mind. God has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I won't be bragging if I claim that it was very well understood by the Hindus. A Hindu has no problem with so many god-forms, names ... he has no problem in going to the Church & bowing in front of statue of Jesus or Mother Mary .... he even has no problem in bowing to a Musim's mazar or bow in the name of Allah ... with equanimity he has no problem in seeing God in all living & even in non-living beings.

You choose whatever name or form suits you. In Gita, Lord Krishna says, " People who worship other devas (gods) (i.e. form & label) , ultimately worship me only. ..... Because I am the Only God of all the Yajnas & accepter of the sacrifices. ... etc .( Ref : Gita Chapter-9, Slokas 23 & 24) " However, depending upon the form you choose for worshipping, the effect of Satvik, Rajasik or Tamasik gunas together on you will vary. Be wary of the path which leads you towards Rajasik & Tamasik ways. Rajasik & Tamasik ways ( which increase your attachment towards sensual pleasures or falling in inaction, intoxication etc.) will increase unhappiness. The best path is which is beyond these three gunas ... "gunateet".

yajvan
14 January 2008, 09:07 PM
[Hari Om
~~~~~~

Should I continue and wait for another year of study until I can be sure of myself, ...What should I do?
Ardhanari.

Namaste Ardhanari,
and what was your decision?

ardhanari
03 February 2008, 01:19 AM
I have decided to wait for two years, and then if I do feel that Gaudiya Vaishnavism is for me, I will seek initiation. Jai!

It was actually Srila Sridhar Maharaj's writings of his Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math that affirmed my decision in following Krishna. Lord Krishna is the Conception of Love, Beauty, Charm, Attraction, and Supreme Bliss.

Ishwarah-paramah-krishnah, sacchidananda-vigrah.
Krishna is Supreme Lord of all Creation, and His form is eternal, full of bliss, and transcendental.

Raso vai sah, akhila-rasamrta-murtih.
He is the Reservoir of all pleasures, and the Source of Ecstasies Himself.

"This nectar of the words and pastimes of Krishna gives us life. It gives us hope that we can live a higher life, that we were not created only to suffer in this mortal world, but to live a life which can soar up and transcend this painful life of mortality. We have that sort of life of vitality in our own intrinsic form. The speculationists say that Krishna consciousness only does away with all sinfulness, but theirs is only an external acquaintance with Krishna consciousness. Sin is nothing in comparison with His purifying capacity. As soon as we come in contact with Krishna, even in the forrn of mere sound through the ear, our real welfare begins to awaken."

~ His Divine Grace B. R. Srila Sridhar Maharaj, from "Sri Guru & His Grace"

devotee
08 February 2008, 09:47 AM
I have decided to wait for two years, and then if I do feel that Gaudiya Vaishnavism is for me, I will seek initiation. Jai!

Namaste Ardhanari,

What you think is perfectly ok.

Lord Krishna is my Guru, Master & God. May he show you the correct path. Many blessings of Lord Krishna ! :)

Regards