View Full Version : Ayurveda

yajvan
28 November 2007, 03:54 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

saidevo wrote
The Science of Taste
The rishis have categorized the food we eat into six different tastes: sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter and astringent. These tastes become "tastes" only after they contact the tongue. Their qualities may change according to which phase of digestion they are in; for example, on the tongue the effect is called rasa, as the food enters the stomach we call it the virya or energy, and the post-digestive effect is the vipaka. Usually the rasa and vipaka are the same, with different energies shown by the different tastes.

Taste (or rasA¹) is a key element in Ayurved as it is considered part of the pa@cha tanm|ntras or 5 subtle elements .

Now according to Ayurveda this organ of taste, this rasan| is intelligent. Many time we are pointed to taste that the body needs. Some nutrient, so one begins to favor certain tastes and different times of the year. We all have heard of the pregnant mother that may have a 'taste' for something that seems upside-down to us , pickles and ice cream, etc.

It is suggested that one gets all six tastes for balancing the doshas i.e. vatta pitta and kapha.

That is what this post is about... in the USA, many have cornered the market on the first 3 tastes of sweet, sour and salty; what is missing is bitter, pungent and astringent. Many do not know the foods or condiments that may contain these other tastes. When only a few dominant tastes reign as ones major intake , then we reap the benefits of imbalance - overweight, overactive, illnesses, stresses and strains.

So I am not the final authority on Ayurveda as there are 8 departments, and this is just taste related. I thought to offer some ideas on spices other then salt & pepper [ big in the USA] and their taste component.
Please add to the list: One must start the list with basil leaf or tulsi, considered sacred.

Basil - pungent rasa and balances kapha dosa; good for the heart and immune system. It's mentioned the basil is also purifying for the environment.
Cardamom - sweet and pungent, good for vata dosa - also considered a tonic for the heart and assists with digestion.
Cayenne Pepper - pungent and stimulates the digestive fire (agni) as will ginger root.
Ginger root - called vishvabhesaj or the universal medicine. It is pungent and sweet; it pacifies kapha amd stimulates pitta ( digestive fire). Many use ginger to make a poultice and put this on aches and pains for relief.
Fenugreek (seeds or power) -some call these methi seeds or power. The taste (rasa) is bitter, pungent and sweet. It pacifies vatta and assists with kapha. Its said this spice promotes healing and rejuvenation.
Cumin - notihnh beats the smell of fresh cumin seeds. This spice cools the system, yet is a bit pungent to the taste. This pacifies vatta and kapha.
Fennel - a universal balancer in Ayurveda, sweet and pungent. It is said to calm the mind. We find fennel combines well with coriander and cumin. Great for overactive pitta. You will find these 3 as a foundational ingredient in many rasayanas for digestion.
Black Mustard (seed/power) - pungent, this again helps with digestion - especially of protein, so using it with legumes/beans has merit. This is to pacify vata and kapha.
Black Pepper - pungent and heating effects on the system; good for cleansing ama or impurities. Too much for a pitta constitution will over heat the system, as will cayenne pepper. These peppers have a 'drying' effect and therefore good in the wet months, and for overactive kapha dosa. So a rasyana for reducing overactive kapha ( phlegm, excess-water, indigestion, lethargy) trikatu ( or the 3 pungents) is suggested. its made of black pepper + Ginger + pippali wihch is Indian long pepper. This really gets pitta stimulated ( lots of agni).
Tumeric - this is one of my favorites.. not due to taste, but it contains bitter, astringent and pungent all in one... just what the doctor ordered for most people in the USA. Very purifying and cleansing and balances the 3 dosas.

Those are just a few - I did not add nutmeg, saffron, sesame, mint, bay leaves, etc.

One Ayurvedic ingredient this is good for the whole system is ghee. It builds and nourishes ojas, essential to ones wellness. Ojas is considered the sap of one's life energy - when strong it gives the individual health and immunity; when deficient it results in weakness, fatigue and ultimately disease, so the experts say. It is something one add-in daily without much fuss.

food is medicine , medicine is food...

pranams,

1. rasA (or rasā) is the tongue and is consdered taste. rasa is the plasma in the blood.

Additional conversations on Ayurved: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16320&postcount=5

Hiwaunis
28 November 2007, 06:44 PM
Om Shanti,
What about ajwani (not sure of spelling) seeds? I just love to chew on them by themselves.

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

yajvan
28 November 2007, 07:51 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shanti,
What about ajwani (not sure of spelling) seeds? I just love to chew on them by themselves.
Hiwaunis

Namaste Hiwaunis,
Ajawayan (or ajwan) are of bitter and pungent rasa taste. This taste heats the system when digested. Good to use before eating as it gets the gastric fires (agni) ready to digest. It also relieves indigestion. Many find mixing this in with lentil dishes, beans, leafy veggies will minimize excessive gas. Yet if the lentils are eaten with rice , it makes more of a complete protein and less gas occurs.

If you find yourself hungry mostly throughout the day , then its the Ajawayan. If your constitution is more kapha, then this herb has the ability to naturally warm the system up.

If your constitution is high in pitta, then you may be geting too much appetite stimulation. Yet if you are finding no issues and alls well , you feel balanced, then there is the blessing.

If you like this sweet and pungent at the same time, and like something to calm to the mind... try one Cardamom seed. Very refreshing, nice on the breath , all that, and will not aggregravte Pitta ( I mention this in case you are pitta and still want a seed in your mouth).

See what you think, and hope this helps.

pranams,

yajvan
08 December 2007, 06:55 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

In the winter months (Vata influenced) we make our own soup... I call it the kitchen sink, as we put everything into it; Veggies + herbs , spices + ghee, etc. When it is all done we then take out the portion we wish to serve and put it into a blender and add sour cream to increase the thickness of the soup. It serves hot and its great.
Its strait forward to make - to say its a recipe is a misnomer as you add in the amounts you think works for the soup.

Today we added the following -all is cut and cubed:
5 to 8 quart ( 3 to 5 liters) pot filled with water
Sweet potatos or red, or white potatos ( this helps make the base)
Celery
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts
Tomatoes ( do this in the last 1/2 hr or so).
Red or green pepper
1/2 stalk of fennel if you have it
other veggies that you like - some like to add 1/2 chopped onion and clove of garlic
I do not use Eggplant (aubergine or brinjal) for this recipe

Add
Dill weed - not a pinch but a spoon full !
sesame seed - both black and white ( takes care of Sani!)
mustard seed
poppy seed
paprika
fenugreek seed (menthi)
coriander seed
ginger
rosemary
basil leaf
salt ( not too much as one can salt to taste per serving), yet stil god to add once the water has boiled
pepper ( I am not a big pepper fan, so add as you like)
some cumin seed
Ghee - nice heaping table spoon
basil

Let the water boil, then add your vegetables... wait till the boil returns then add all the herbs and spices. Let boil for at least 2 hours if not 3 on a low flame ; once the boiling start the notion is to keep it going but not a violent boil. Very important to keep the lid on, so all the steam stays within the pot. Yet this is not a 'pressure cooker' receipe.
Stir often.

After the 2-3 hrs you are ready...taste to see all's well. What is key is to insure the potatos are soft. This will allow them to be easily blended. If they are not done , then the soup is not done. som folks micorwave the potatos first for 3 to 5 min to get them cooking first.

Once you are happy with the taste , then add your serving portions to a blender. As you blend, all the vegetables are then mixed all together , add in a spoon of sour cream... see if you like the thickness. If you do are done, if not add some more sour cream.

Once done , you are ready to serve... pour in to your soup bowl, put some fresh parsley on the top , some put a sprinkle of ginger or paprika on top, just a bit not a lot, then your parsley.

Hot, good, and has all 6 tastes, for the winter months for vata.

pranams,

yajvan
15 December 2007, 01:03 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Ayurveda आयुर्वेद - the science of health or medicine; Ayus or आयुस् is life , vital power , vigour , health , duration of life , long life and veda we know as knowledge.

Taste (or rasa) is a key element in Ayurved as it is considered part of the pa@cha tanm|ntras or 5 subtle elements .

So I am not the final authority on Ayurveda as there are 8 departments, and this is just taste related. I thought to offer some ideas on spices other then salt & pepper.

Some Benefits I was reading today on the following:
Cardamom - sweet and pungent, good for vata dosa - also considered a tonic for the heart and assists with digestion.
One of the best sources for cineole, an antiseptic that kills bacteria of bad breath; breaks up chest congestion, fights bronchitis, colds, indigestion, inflamed moth and sore throat.

Cayenne Pepper - pungent and stimulates the digestive fire (agni) as will ginger root.
Applied topically blocks pain transmission in arthritis's, diabetic neuropathy, cluster headaches, mouth sores, psoriasis and shingles. Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides.

Ginger - called vishvabhesaj or the universal medicine. It is pungent and sweet; it pacifies kapha amd stimulates pitta ( digestive fire). Many use ginger to make a poultice and put this on aches and pains for relief.
Digestive aid, works well for overindulgence, motion illness and the like. Contains anti-inflammatory zingibain useful for arthritis and preventiing arterial plaque.

Fenugreek (seeds or power) -some call these methi seeds or power. The taste (rasa) is bitter, pungent and sweet. It pacifies vatta and assists with kapha. Its said this spice promotes healing and rejuvenation.
Helps contol blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides.

Fennel - a universal balancer in Ayurveda, sweet and pungent. It is said to calm the mind. We find fennel combines well with coriander and cumin. Great for overactive pitta. You will find these 3 as a foundational ingredient in many rasayanas for digestion.
Excellent digestive aid; useful ofr bronchitis, cough, and mucous membrane inflammation

Tumeric - this is one of my favorites.. not due to taste, but it contains bitter, astringent and pungent all in one... just what the doctor ordered for most people in the USA. Very purifying and cleansing and balances the 3 dosas.
First rate anti inflammatory; the articels usgests tumeric defends against cancer. Potentally useful ofr Alzheimer's dis-ease, yet studies are still WIP.

Clove
Contains eugenol that anesthetizes, kills bacteria and fungi, fights free radical oxidation, and helps thin the blood.

Cinnamon
Eases allergies, relieves pain, fights the stubborn e.coli and fungi (candida), reduces gas ( good for many of the HDF posts I make :doh: ) and helps relax the muscles. Also R&D on blood sugar control is in the works.

Those are just a few

food is medicine , medicine is food...

pranams,

Additional conversations on Ayurved: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16320&postcount=5[/quote]

Jigar
05 January 2008, 01:13 PM
Namaste

Growing up wearing braces, to maintain uncarbonated teeth from drinking Shasta, I brushed the use of these ingreds.

Haritaki

Sharashtri

Ajwanka phool

Nilgirika Tel

Pudineka

Sangjira

Lavingya

Pudineka

Wood Charcoal

Maste Nam
1S

yajvan
05 January 2008, 05:23 PM
Namaste

Growing up wearing braces, to maintain uncarbonated teeth from drinking Shasta, I brushed the use of these ingreds.

Haritaki
Sharashtri
Ajwanka phool
Nilgirika Tel
Pudineka
Sangjira
Lavingya
Pudineka
Wood Charcoal

... all ingredients at once? <<< :eek: >>>
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/RBL/RBL008/b13845.jpg

yajvan
08 January 2008, 09:16 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known. I will add their description and benefit as time permits.

Ashwagandha
Triphala
Gokshura
Guggulu
Hartitaki
Shatavarti
Pippali
Hingvastak
SitopaladiAshwagandha is one of the best vata-reducing and most commonly used herbs in Ayurveda. It is rejuvinating to the system while simultaneously calming the mind (a vata trait of highly active mind-thoughts) to promote a more restful sleep. It also balances the system and give strength, suggesting the strength of a horse ( ashwaghandha = horse smell); the herbal species name somnifera means "sleep-bearing" .
So you have a rasanaya that gives strength and at the same time promotes restfulness.

Triphala - or 3 frruits. Another staple of Ayurveda. This is a detoxifying and gentle elimination supplement made of amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki fruits. As we have talked about Ayurveda and the 6 tastes&#185;, triphala contains 5 of the 6 tastes ( no salty taste). It is therefore a balancer of the system for vata, pitta or kapha types and helps keep balance of all the doshas.

more later.

pranams,

1. For the 6 tastes see: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16270&postcount=25

yajvan
09 January 2008, 10:11 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known.

Ashwagandha
Triphala
Gokshura
Guggulu
Hartitaki
Shatavarti
Pippali
Hingvastak
Sitopaladi

Namaste,

Guggulu - this herb is a purifier and one of the best for joint discomfort. It is also mixed with triphala. Hence the mixure would be called triphala guggulu. Joint discomfort according to Ayurveda is vata buildup. So guggulu is suppose to dispose of the deep seated toxins in the joints.

Gokshura- this is considered a tonic with a focus on the kidneys and reproductive system. For the kidneys it balaces fluid retention and cleansing of the kidney and urinary track. LIke most auyrvedic offers, it used in comnbination of other herbs for maximumn effectiveness.
It is rare to see just one ingredient in an Ayurvedic tonic or supplement. This is why Ashwagandha was mentioned as the first post. It is just one herb, yet this herb is also found in other ad-mixtures for stess reduction and rejuvination tonics and mixtures.

Another side note on herbs used in Ayurveda. There is great interest ( and I hope great care) of when the herbs are harvested, the time, place, conditions are all taken into consideration. Picking at the wrong time diminishes a herbs potency. Just as storing the herbs in the wrong environment depletes its potency also.

pranams

yajvan
10 January 2008, 04:53 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known. Ashwagandha

Triphala
Gokshura
Guggulu
Hartitaki
Shatavarti
Pippali
Hingvastak
Sitopaladi
Namaste ,
Here's a few more ...

Shatavari - this is a rejuvenative herb for increasings ones energy. It also bolsters the immune systems and helps with digestion. In Ayurved digestion ( Or the fire of agni) is key to heath.

For the female, this herb has a certain affinity for the reproductive system to foster the reproductive process and a balanced monthly cycle. As a male, I cannot speak from personal experience on this.

Pippali - is part of the pepper family and therefore provides heat to the system. This heat is complementary to the digestive process as a digestive stimulant ( like ginger).

Digestion FYI:
If one had to choose between the best of foods vs. the best and most robust digestion, digestion wins out. With a potent digestive system the rasa ( or ojas in this case) can be extracted from all foods and fluids.

Many illnesses come from the limited power of the digestion system. So the more one can assist this process the better.

It is suggested that no ice cold water or drink while eating a meal. This is standard fare in the USA - before you get your meal at a restaurant, you are served a large glass of ice water. Just what agni needs to be extinguished!
Wolfing down your food ( that would be me). As pitta-vāta constitution my appetite is robust, and eating is a function vs. entertainment. So food is consumed quickly for me, and I need to slow down. This is wise for vāta, as vata people are quick.
How do you know if you are vāta? One thing I to consider: Vātas are quick to remember things and quick to forget. There is lots of change and a desire for change, movement, dynamism, a thin frame - these are fundamental to vāta predominant person. Are these the only things? Nope, there are easily 25 more traits, yet these few helps one asks if "am I vāta constitution?".
For vāta , eating on the run is a natural. eating in a car ( traveling through akasha) is not suggested. I do not do this. This is one thing a person can do for their digestion that they can see the difference over time.
Here's one thing the Ayurveda doctor or vaidya, an expert (versed in his own profession , especially medical science) , skilled in the art of healing , will say: during your meals eat slowly, remaining calm and in the present e.g. not watching TV, doing a crossword puzzle, etc... then one is well on their way to balancing vāta.
Incessant internal chatter of the mind characterizes a vāta mind. For this , there are many herbs to assist ( I do not have this issue, yet know many that do - if one wishes to talk of the herbs, rasayanas to assist here we can do this).May I see for 100 years, live for 100 years, hear for 100 years; May I speak for 100 years, live in freedom and comfort for 100 years... Yajurveda

pranams

Eastern Mind
10 January 2008, 05:24 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste ,

Wolfing down your food ( that would be me). As pitta-vāta constitution my appetite is robust, and eating is a function vs. entertainment. So food is consumed quickly for me, and I need to slow down. This is wise for vāta, as vata people are quick pranams

Yajvan: That's me above, too. Thank you so much for all the info here. As a result of it, I have started (one month ago) taking triphala as a supplement as well as increasing turmeric. I believe I've noticed some improvement. My problems are not digestive per se, but more IBS. (I am not alone, as its a common ailment. ) I developed the condition about 12 years ago during a particularly stressful time with the world, and it comes and goes still. Candida is also a factor. The condition improves drastically during holidays, as its more directly related to stress intake than food intake, although some foods seem harsher than others. Any other hints, suggestions would be most welcomed. The western medical system sort of shuffles such things out of the way. May Peace be with You. Aum Namasivaya.

yajvan
10 January 2008, 07:42 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Yajvan: That's me above, too. Thank you so much for all the info here. As a result of it, I have started (one month ago) taking triphala as a supplement as well as increasing turmeric. I believe I've noticed some improvement. My problems are not digestive per se, but more IBS. (I am not alone, as its a common ailment. ) I developed the condition about 12 years ago during a particularly stressful time with the world, and it comes and goes still. Candida is also a factor. The condition improves drastically during holidays, as its more directly related to stress intake than food intake, although some foods seem harsher than others. Any other hints, suggestions would be most welcomed. The western medical system sort of shuffles such things out of the way. May Peace be with You. Aum Namasivaya.

Namaste EM,
I am not a viadya, just a practitioner of this approach for ~ 20+ years and it has served me well... you can do a fair amount of research on this subject on-line and be successful. If you are a PURE vata ( that is vata-vata constitution) you will find the digestion + cold influences a bit more challenging.

I am happy you have considered triphala. It will serve you well. Do you take ghee? this too is simple to administer and just plain good for you ( not in tonnage).

You mention
Candida is also a factor. yes, cold and vata. This suggests to get as much warmth as you can... both in body heat and digestion. I am in hopes that the 'cold months' September to July http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif he-he, you are taking warm hearty meals... Robust soups, and stuff like that.
look to the post on various herbs and the ones that stimulate agni...it is within this HDF post.. I will check and put the post here:
Post 1: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356
Post 2: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16320&postcount=5

Let me recommend a book that will assist you... it is easy reading and is for the daily practitioner. I have have used it for years. It is Ayurveda, The Science of Self Healing by Dr. Vasant Lad.

I have also visited viadyas many times, and found their info useful , yet a little $$ expensive; nope allot expensive! Hence taking on my own health as a responsibility has been useful for me ( physicison heal thy self, they say).

My wife also does Pancakarma. Very useful. more on this if interested.

That said , for a vata there are several areas of interest:

Diet - hearty hot meals in these winter months
Eating Habits - be regular - and the stuff I offered in the last post on Diet
Lifestyle - this may sound silly, but give yourself plenty of time to get to appointments without rushing. This minimizes 'mind thrashing' and mind stress&#185;. Stress brings imbalances, and pokes a vata imbalances. Avoid if possible too many things to get done - a laundry list of activities provokes vata imbalances.
Thoughts and Emotions - if you are not meditating today, think about if it is time to consider something to balance the mind; if you are interested in hatha yoga this too will help. Because of my teaching, training and instruction I have been afforded over the years this is my number one priority for me...without my sadhana, I am toast.
Relationship with the environment - you have an ideal condition as you are a Gardner. Very favorable. Yet also note the environment extends to social life. Just as you garden, and take care there in the mist of plants and flowers, consider the same in society. Being purposeful, but not stressed. Also, as you are in a cold-dry climate this will provoke dryness of your protective covering...your skin. If you can, an oil massage or abhyanga, the ayurvedic oil massage as often as possible is good for you , your joints your skin and your mind. If you are vata constitution, then sesame oil is best and easiest to do. the benefits according to Ayurved:
Increased circulation, perfect for vata
Toning / soothing the muscles
Calming for the nerves they say
Lubrication of the joints
Increased mental alertness from the blood stimulation
Improved elimination of impurities from the body
Softer, invigorated skin - from the cold and dryness
Now do I practice what I preach on this oil message... yep. And I add doing this in the steam-bath at my health club. I have done this for years.

These are just a few items I was thinking of... perhaps it added maybe an eye-drop of new info for you.

Again I am not the author of this wisdom, just passing it on the best I know how.

pranams

1. Chris Rock, * the comedian* has wise words. He says for an appointment you can only be on time or late, those are the only two possibilities. He is suggesting that 'early' is the effort to be on time without all the grief and serves one well. I have taken this to heart.

satay
11 January 2008, 11:16 AM
Namaskar,

I find this thread to be of great benefit.

Does anyone here (Yajvan, EM) recommend any good sites to order ayurvedic things?

yajvan
11 January 2008, 06:12 PM
Namaskar,
Does anyone here (Yajvan, EM) recommend any good sites to order ayurvedic things?

Namsate satay,
we will then post more... Here are some ideas.
For various rasayanas and herbs I found this site good :http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/ (http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/) I have been purchasing from them for years.

Dr. Lad's book ( and his web site) is worth a visit. http://www.ayurveda.com/ (http://www.ayurveda.com/)

I have also spent time with Deepk Chopra... Very knowledgeable and $$ expensive - yet worth getting a news letter if he still does this. http://www.chopra.com/ (http://www.chopra.com/)

pranams

Znanna
11 January 2008, 08:27 PM
Namaskar,

I can vouch for the quality of product and sponsor of this site: http://www.maya-ethnobotanicals.com/news.phtml

ZN

yajvan
12 January 2008, 01:16 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought to post this simple treatment. According to Ayurveda, vata dosa is one of the factors that can bring dis-ease to the native. Vata is responsible for the retention and the eliminate of waste products in our bodies. ONe place this vata is seated is within the colon. So colon care is a wise decision for vata types and all of us. We know how uncomfortable we call can get if everything is just not 'moving'correctly, as vata owns movement.

A simple virechan (purgative or laxative) one can make in the kitchen is hot milk.

Start with milk - whole or what ever you use ( I Use 2&#37; fat free)
Add a pinch of cinnamon
Add a pinch of ginger
Add 2 tablespoons of ghee all while the milk is heating up.
Just bring the milk to a boil and stop. The milk is ready once it starts to boil, not to continue boiling, then it is ready.This is excellent for both vata and pitta. Good for the winter months.
Based upon your success you can decide to do this in the spring, and summer.

Some take this mixture in the evenings. I use this first thing in the morning.

But you say I am on the run ( ahhh! you are a vata). Not to worry. Stop at Starbucks and get a Chai lante... let them know you want it 180&#176; hot. You are getting the 5 of the 6 tastes&#185; with the chai + the hot milk and you are ready.

Are there other methods? Sure.. basti , or enema, but I recommend starting with hot milk + ghee and the herbs suggested.

pranams

6 tastes http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16320&postcount=5

yajvan
13 January 2008, 12:09 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

Here is another simple remedy... 'Its winter in the north, my nose is always congested, or runny or dry or ...'

What can one do for this? Nasya or belonging to or being in the nose.
That is, the therapy of cleaning the nose, jala-niti. Why do we care about this?

Easier breathing
Easier Pranayam practice for those that do this
Cleaning out particulate matter i.e. foreign substances
FYI - The nose is the door to the brain-mind complexThere are various methods i.e. cleaning, nutritional, sedative and massaging. For now lets just offer the simplest , that of cleaning the nasal passages for easy breathing. And lets us the easiest mixture, salt water. This is then called jala-neti: jala is water and neti is the drawing of a thread through the nose and mouth. Yet in this 'neti' we are drawing water as the 'thread'.

Use Warm-to-cool water + a pinch of salt. The Salt needs to dissolve , so the water needs to be luke warm. If you error and use warm-to-hot , there is discomfort and the nasal passages expand ( due to the warmth) and this restricts air and water flow. So something to be mindful of.

Next you need a neti pot to put this solution into. These come in all shapes and sizes, styles ( plastic and ceramic). Mine cost $8.00.

So now the technique of doing jala-neti... a picture is worth a thousand words... this site does an excellent job demonstrating the method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg

Do I do this my self? Yes.
Is it effective i.e. do I see results? Yes.
Why do I do it? I have allergies and get a stuffed up nose in the spring season.
How often is it done - Some do 2X per day. AM and PM. For me I do it 1X time in the AM and in the shower.
When should it not be done? According to Ayurved:
a. after sexual relations
b. after or during ( daaa!) eating
c. after consuming alchohol
d. during menstruation ( I do not know why)
My wife also does jala-niti and adds nasal drops called nasya oil after she has finished.
Nasya oil decongests the passages, lubricates ( for people with dry nasal passages, again a winter ailment, and vata stimulated) and in fact assists with awareness and concentration.
What's in nasya oil? sesame oil, olive oil, brahmi, calamus, skullcap, eucalyptus oil.
Where can you purchase a niti cup, some call nasya rise cup or niti pot? an the nasya oil. All can be purchased at any Ayurvedic shop.
I use Banyan botanials www.banyanbotanicals.com (http://www.banyanbotanicals.com) . Many out there for your consideration. ZN recommends this site: http://www.maya-ethnobotanicals.com/news.phtml

happy breathing
pranams

yajvan
13 January 2008, 11:10 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

As we look to Auyrveda, most is about balancing the dosas of vata , pitta and kapha. But one must ask where do these imbalances (mala or blemish) come from? Were does dis-ease come from?

At times , the origins can be found in awareness, some negative thoughts and in ones emotions i.e. anger, fear and/or excessive attachments.

Fear, repressed fear, and a 'diet' of fear aggravates vata, and vata goes out of balance.
Anger, and anger in excess puts pita out of balance.
Envy, greed and excessive attachment creates a kapha imbalance.Has any one seen this list before? i.e. fear, anger, envy ,greed, and attachment?

I am always amazed at the notion of going to a scary movie and inviting vata imbalances. Or going to a boxing match as entertainment where the offer is overstimulation of pitta... or watching a food eating contest. In the USA, a big contest is how many hot dogs or hot (really hot) Chili Peppers ( not the musical band http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif) one can eat. Last year a guy ate 246 hot chili peppers. I just think of the havic, angst and exessive turbulance this has on all the dosas, let alone kapha imbalances.

Sometimes the imbalance starts in the body ( as in the eating contest) and then affects the thoughts and emotions of the native. That is, location, living food/eating habits start in the body and therefore influence the mind and emotions.

Say a person has a strong pitta constitution. Living in a hot climate will aggravate this dosha. Just a summer aggravates pitta in all natives. Ayurveda then suggests eating habits and recreation to pacify pitta in the summer months - cool drinks, fresh fruits, light exercise, water sports, to not overheat the body... like that, simple things for the normal seasonal changes.
We also know from the last post that pitta is fire, agni, Mars. Pitta is found in the stomach as the gastric fire. Pitta and anger can give one stomach problems, due to the agni over-excitement.

Yet its interesting to note that agni is related to movement, to vata. Agni breaks down food, and the assimilation process for its distribution in the body. Vata as air, kindles agni, and bodily fire and can be found throughout the total body, as food/nourishment/oxygen/ energy is brought to every living cell in the body.

With balanced and healthy agni one finds intelligence strong as understanding too is kindled by this agni. Bright eyes are found in healthy pita predominant natives.

So what happens with this agni when constrained or impaired during digestion?

Proper kindling does not occur, food is not properly digested and ama is produced. Food components that has not been properly assimilated creates this material substance called ama. it clogs the system and is created when the 3 humors (tridosa) are out of balance.
Is that our only challenge? Nope - toxins , suggest Ayurveda, are created with the blemishes mentioned before i.e. fear, anger, envy ,greed, and attachment and in excess.
That is, we change and challange the flora of the system with these emotions i.e. excessive bile with aggravated pitta; repressed emotions aggravate vata which hinders agni ( like a good burning fire, good vata/air is needed); and with greed , excessive possessiveness, etc. kapha imbalances kick in. Coughs, colds, and congestion that just seems to be year 'round are with kapha inflicted people.So, we have lightly covered some of the 'piping' in us as ones constitution. We talked for a few min too on the importance of agni (digestive fire) being healthy and how emotions play a important role.
There is another fundamental part to us humans as Ayurveda see it, and that is dhatu ( dhAtu or धातु ) - constituent part , ingredient, layer, essential ingredient of the body. Ayurved recognizes 7 dhAtu:

Rasa
Rakta
Mamsa
Meda
Asthi
Majja
ShukraIt is with the help of agni these 7 dhAtu stay in balance and are fundamental to ones functioning and immune system.

Lets me stop here, as much has been said. We can pick up the 7 daAtu with the next post, and give their definitions for your consideration.

He alone is fire, He is the sun, He is the wind, He is the moon, He is the shining stars, He is Brahma, He is Prajapati... Yajurveda

pranams,

yajvan
14 January 2008, 05:34 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

I will add their description.

Ashwagandha
Triphala
Gokshura
Guggulu
Hartitaki
Shatavarti
Pippali
Hingvastak
Sitopaladi

Namaste,
the remaining two herbs I have little to no experience with... thought to say that ahead of time. My reseach book suggests the following:

Hingvastak - as a herb mixture, it is one of the best digestive formulas for the vata (winter) Season. The digestive fire is kindled and minimizes gas and bloating, also assisting with 'regular' elimination. The ingredients are cumin, ajamoda, black pepper, ginger, pippli, mineral salt, asafoetida and fenugreek.

For me, I continue to use ginger for assisting agni along with the individual herbs of fenugreek, and cumin added to a meal.
If anyone tries this Hingvastak , I would be intersted in your results.

Sitopaladi - an Ayurvedic immune boosing ad-mixture. This is also used ,they say, to relieve nasal congestion and throat discomfort. The best that I can see for the ingredients are the following: licorice, cane sugur, pippli, elecampane, casaka, amalaki, bibhitaki, hartaki, tulsi, cardamon, and cinnamon.

I have not used this mixture either. If anyone tries this, let us know of your results.

pranams,

yajvan
15 January 2008, 04:19 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

There is another fundamental part to us humans as Ayurveda see it, and that is dhatu ( dhAtu or धातु ) - constituent part , ingredient, layer, essential ingredient of the body. Ayurved recognizes 7 dhAtu:

Rasa
Rakta
Mamsa
Meda
Asthi
Majja
ShukraIt is with the help of agni these 7 dhAtu stay in balance and are fundamental to ones functioning and immune system.

Namaste,
I thought to offer the definitions of the 7 dhAtu mentioned in a earlier post. These dhAtu are of great import as one effects the other i.e. they are linked together.
Lets take a look:

Rasa - in Ayurved is considered plasma, containing nutrients from the digested food ( thank you agni). This brings nourishment to all the tissues and organs in the body.
Rakta - is the blood. It governs oxygenation ( again agni at work) in all the tissues, which maintains life.
Mamsa is our muscles. These muscles perform locomotive actions ( Vata) and energy (agni) , physical strength, and covers the vial organs and joints through-out the body.
Meda - is fat. It maintains the lubrication of the tissues, and is a storage device for additional energy.
Asthi - is our bones. This supports our frame, provides definition, and houses marrow ( or majja). This asthi is also protection for the brain, and houses the villiage of the senses, the backbone or spine.
Majja - is the marrow and nerves. This houses the immune system and carries motor and sensory impulses throughout the system
Shukra + Artav - is the reproductive tissues and contain the finest fluids the body can produce.From an Ayurvedic process view, rasa is transformed into rakta. This is then converted into mamsa, meda, and the other dhAtus. The system is highly intelligent as each dhAtu extracts the nutrients that are needed by them. WE can see why digestion and agni is so important. For all the raw materials need to be there for the dhAtus to do their job.

The Ayurvedic doctor will say there are three primary actions that happen in the process:

Irrigation - nutrients are delivered to the 7 dhAtus
Selectivity or discrimination - the dhAtus take what is needed for them to do their actions
Transformation - the nutrients are converted to what is needed to be built, replaced, nourished, fixed, or converted.So good health is dependent on these 7 dhatus and the 3 conversion processes mentioned. As I see it a highly self-intelligent system.

Maybe the next post can look at attributes of Vata-Pita-Kapha or the tridosa as they are called and maybe the 20 attributes (gunas as they are considered) that the tridosa affected. This list/observation is the works of

Charak-muni&#185; the great Ayurvedic physician (viadya) understood that organic + inorganic + thoughts have these attributes and these 20 affects the human condition.

More as we continue.

Excessive eating is prejudicial to health, to fame, and to (bliss in) heaven; it prevents (the acquisition of) spiritual merit, and is odious among men; one ought, for these reasons, to avoid it carefully... The Laws of Manu, Chapt 2, sloka 57, translation by George B&#252;hler

pranams

1. The father of Auyrved is Dhanvantari. His sisysas (students) that did much of the writing was Charak and Susruta.

yajvan
16 January 2008, 06:26 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

... Maybe the next post can look at attributes of Vata-Pita-Kapha or the tridosa as they are called and maybe the 20 attributes (gunas as they are considered) that the tridosa affected.

Namaste,

I thought to insure that there is some definition of the tri-dosa and some of their attributes. I will list out the 20 attributes e.g. Heavy, light, slow, sharp, cold, hot, etc. and which doha these increase or decreases in a furture post.

For now I thought to spend a bit more time on the tri-dosa and the ad-mixture of the pancha mahabhutas ( 5 great elements).

Vata = air (vayu) + ether/space (akasha). Many Ayurvedic books have it as Air + this space or akasha. Yet all of the doshas must have akasha to exist in.
Pitta = fire (agni) + water (jala)
Kapha = earth (prithvi) + water (jala)

Some Additional Info
Vata is the principle of movement. We think of movement like air, the wind, yet in the body it is considered that energy for biological movement.
So where do we find this vata governing?
Movement - as in the eyelids, muscles and tissues and most notably the pulsation of the heart. All expansion and contraction there fore breathing, down to the cell membranes.
Natural urges, motor functions, secretions, and transformation of the tissues.
Some emotions that are vata based are nervousness ( as motion and movement is there) fear anxiety, pain, and this notion of emptiness.
The seat of vata is found in the large intestine, pelvic cavity, bones, skin, ears and thighs.

Pita is the principle of energy, agni, fire. Bodily heat ( your temperature) is pitta based and drives the metabolism. Pitta governs digestion ( the consumption or oxidation of food-stuff), absorption, and assimilation. This pitta give luster to the skin, brightness to the eyes, and is found in the intellect and understanding. From an emotions point of view pitta kindles anger, hate and jealousy.
Pitts sis found in the small intestine , in the stomach with the gastric juices ( or fire of agni), sweat glands, and in the blood.

Kapha is the principle of the body and its fluids; it is said we are 80&#37; water, this is kapha. Yet our body is water and earth, the two elements of kapha.
This kapha maintains the body's resistance and gives it biological strength. With Kapha it lubricates all the joints and gives moisture to the skin and tissues. Kapha fills the spaces in the body and give biological strength and vigor, helps to heal wounds, and supports memory retention.
Kapha can be found in the chest, throat, head, sinuses, nose, mouth, plasma, liquid secretions.
This kapha is responsible for calmness, forgiveness and love; yet also attachment or passiveness , greed and envy,

Kapha also gives memory retention - the say slow to remember but also slow to forget. Vata is quick to remember and quick to forget. As pitta is right in the middle, with a sharp memory, and the ability to retain thoughts.

Food, that is always worshipped, gives strength and manly vigour; but eaten irreverently, it destroys them both.... The Laws of Manu, translation by George B&#252;hler

pranams,

Reference books: Ayurveda - by Dr. Vasant Lad; Hidden secet of Ayurveda by Dr. R> Svoboda, Essentials of Medical Astrology by Sr. KS Charak

yajvan
17 January 2008, 11:40 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

As food comes into the body , it has some specific attributes. the viadya Charaka muni lists out 20. Note his wisdom as the 20 are in two groups of 10. Each one has its opposite e.g. hot-cold, fast-slow,..some call this antagonistic pairs.

Here is the list:
Heavy-Light
Cold-Hot
Dry -Oily
Slimy-Rough
Dense-Liquid
Soft-Hard
Static- Mobile
Subtle-Gross
Cloudy-Clear
Sharp (or Penetrating) - Dull ( Yet dull is not in his list) he uses Slow as the opposite.

Heavy - increases kapha and decreases vata and pita. This heaviness increases bulk nutrition, yet too with this heaviness comes dullness and lethargy. Consider a heavy meal and how one feels afterwords.
Light - increases vata, pita and agni, as it decreases kapha, or heaviness.
This creates the feeling of lightness, cleans the system. One can think of maybe fasting, and the lightness it creates, yet in access, one feels ungrounded ( or lack of heaviness)
Cold - increases vata and kapha and decreses pitta ( heat). Excessive cold brings numbness, contraction, fear, insensitivity. Anyone that goes through rough winters can attest to this.
Hot - increase pitta and agni as it decreses vata and kapha. Heat promotes digestion, cleansing and expansion. Yet excessive heat brings anger, inflammation and potential hate.
Dry - increases vata and agni as it decreases pitta and kapha. Dryness creates absorption, yet in excess constipation, nervousness, weakness.
Oily - increase pitta and kapha as it decreses vata. This creates smoothness create moisture, lubrication and vigor. It also promotes compassion and this delicate love. In excess can create heaviness and excess kapha.
Slimy - increases pitta and kapha as it decreases vata and agni. Its interesting as this attribute creates the same as oily i.e. smoothness, promotes the emotion of care, love, etc.
Roughness -increases vata and agni as it decreses pitta and kapha. This causes cracking of skin, bones; it also causes carelessness and rigidity. This roughness is found physically and behaviorally.
Dense -increases kapha and it decreses vata, pitta and agni. This promotes strength and solid frames, density of the bones,; yet excessive density brings inertia in body and mind.
Liquid - increases pitta and kapha as it decreases vata and agni. Liquid dissolves and makes for more fluid flow as in salivation. It increases compassion and cohesiveness.
Hard - increases vata and kapha as it decreases pita and agni. Hardness brings strength, yet also rigidity and self-ness, callousness and insensitivity.
Soft - increases pitta and kapha as it decreases vata and agni. Soft creates delicacy, relaxation, tenderness. Too soft and strength is lost.
Static-increase kapha and decreases vata, pitta and agni. Promotes stability, support, and some say faith, yet brings obstruction or rigidity; also in excess causes constipation with movement ( vata) in check.
Mobile -increases vata, pitta and agni as it decreses kapha. Movement and motion. in excess shakiness, restlessness and lack of faith.
Gross - increases kapha and decrease vata , pitta and agni. This causes excessive obstructions, dullness and obesity.
Subtle- increases vata , pitta and agni as it decreases kapha. Subtle is piercing and penetrating. Allows entry into the finer capillaries. Increases emotion and feelings.
Cloudy- increases kapha and it decreases vata , pitta ad agni. Cloudy heals fractures; also causes lack of perception therefore must influence intuition ( my assessment here)
Clear -increases vata, pitta and agni as it decreases kapha. Clear pacifies; It also creates isolation and diversion.
Sharp - increases vata and pitta as it decrease kapha. Sharp has an immediate effect on the body ( sharp pain, taste, etc) and mind as in understanding quickly. This sharpness to in excess causes ulcers and perforations.
Dull ( Yet dull is not in his list) he uses Slow as the opposite - increases kapha and decreases vata and pitta. Slow creates relaxation, yet in excess creates dullness and sluggishness.Its of interest to me on how food is digested and can take on theses 20 attributes. And I see these attributes in people, animals i.e. dogs and cats, plants and flowers ( their smell, thorns, the juices they excrete).

And I see these attribute in me as pitta-vata constitution.

food is medicine, medicine is food.

pranams

yajvan
18 January 2008, 05:12 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

on a past post rasā + vīrya + vipāk was a topic that came up. I said I would follow up in this, as it is interesting to consider.

rasA (rasā) has to do with the tongue and therefore taste. when something it placed on the tongue we experience taste as we call this rasA.
When the substance is swallowed ( and if we are paying attention) there is an experience in the stomach of hot or cold, this is called vIrya (vīrya or vigor , strength, but alo means consequence).This experience has to do with the heating or cooling of the substance that was consumed.
Now once the digestive tract receives the food, the vipāk occurs i.e vipAka or vipāka the ripening, maturing of food.So pretty straight forward... taste , swallow and process. The system is highly intelligent and needs no direction by us to do this , but it does need the best selection of food-stuffs to process. Hence Ayurveda's recommendations based upon ones constitution to keep one in balance.

So here is something you may find interesting... the principle of prabhav (prAbhava or prābhava). PrAbhava is known as superiority. In Ayurveda and in this usage it is an action that is 'superior' and without regard to rasā, vīrya, and vipāk; some call this the exception to the rule. How so?

A substance can be sweet to the taste (rasā) and when it hits the stomach vīrya occurs and it is a cooling sensation, and within the digestive tract as the substance matures (vipāk) and is processed a sweet condition occurs. Yet with prābhava, there is an exception to the rule. Instead of cooling occurring in vīrya ( the stomach) there is heat. Or instead of pungent occurring in vipāk, there is sweet. So there are exceptions.

What are some of the foods that do this?

Honey&#185; is one that comes to mind. It is sweet to rasā, yet warming to vīrya in which it would be considered cooling; vipāk remains sweet.
Lemon is sour rasā; it should be heating to vīrya, yet it is cooling; and vipāk it remains sour.
This prābhava also occurs with turmeric, onions, pomegranate, etc. So like that, there is this notion of prābhava. Also with Ghee. A most wonderful substance that is good for the whole system. It is said, in small quantities , it produces constipation ( prābhava at work) yet in normal amounts of table spoons and with hot milk&#178; it assists as a great purgative.

pranams

1. HDF post on honey: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19844&postcount=3
2. HDF post - ghee with milk : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19720&postcount=16

yajvan
19 January 2008, 06:05 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

This recipe turned out pretty good last night: Vegetable Curry (for all dosa types)
1 cup fresh green peas
1 c. carrots, diced
1 c. potatoes, diced
2 c. green string beans or asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 Tablespoon of ghee
2 tea spoon cumin seeds
2 t. black mustard seeds
1 t. sea salt
1 1/2 c. water
2 t. turmeric
1 t. coriander powder
1/2 c. yogurt

Heat ghee in a large, heavy skillet. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds pop, add turmeric. Then add all the vegetables and water. Cook with a cover about 15-20 minutes. Then add yogurt and the rest of the ingredients, stirring well. Simmer uncovered on low heat until done.

Source: Ayurvedic Cookbook by Amadea Morningstar, Lotus Press

yajvan
16 December 2008, 09:52 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namaste,

I recieved this article today and thought you may find it interesting.

Influenza By Alakananda Ma

Jwara (fever) is the lord of the diseases, born from sin, causing death, feeds on ojas, leads to the final end…characterised by santapa (discomfort from heat), arising from improper conduct; is a cruel one, affecting all species of living beings and called by different names. (1)

In this article we will consider differences in how Ayurveda and biomedicine see influenza, complementarities between the two, benefits of influenza, hazards of influenza, prevention, treatment, aftercare and pandemic influenza.

Differences in How Ayurveda and Biomedicine See Influenza
The biomedical approach to influenza is based in the sciences of virology, biochemistry and microbiology. From this standpoint, it is important to know the exact virus that caused the flu-like illness and the exact mechanisms of infectivity, transmission and morbidity or lethality of this virus.
Viral cultures, immunofluorescent tests and serologic studies are required in order to make a definitive diagnosis. The disease entity characterised as influenza is caused by a single-stranded RNA virus, the influenza virus, which is subdivided into type A or B (causing epidemic flu) and type C (causing sporadic flu).
Influenza is transmitted via the respiratory secretions over a time period from one day before until about five days after the onset of the disease. Non-influenzal flu-like illnesses are caused by other viruses, notably the adenoviruses, double-stranded DNA viruses which can survive for long periods of time in house dust and cause flu-like illnesses on an endemic basis throughout the year.

The Ayurvedic approach to influenza is based on the prakruti-vikruti paradigm and emphasises the condition of the host rather than the nature of the infective agent. Diagnosis depends not on serology and virology but on the age old methods of darshanam, sparshanam and prashanam, (observation, palpation and questioning).
Two individuals affected with the same virus will likely receive a somewhat different Ayurvedic diagnosis, depending upon their presenting features. Strictly speaking, Ayurvedists should stay away from the word influenza (a diagnosis rooted in virology). From the Ayurvedic standpoint, the abhisanga (external) cause or infective agent is less important than the pre-existing doshas and ama.
The infective agent is the seed but ama is the fertile field in which the seeds can sprout. As Vagbhat describes the pathogenesis of fever, doshas, getting increased by their respective causes, enter amashaya (the stomach) combine with ama, obstruct the channels, drive the fire to the exterior and moving along with it make great increase of heat in the body. (4)

Based on the symptom picture, the fever is characterized as arising from vata, pitta, kapha, a combination of two doshas or all three (sannipata). A typical influenza might fit the description of a pitta-kapha fever, with symptoms of shivering, stiffness, sweating, burning sensations, thirst, cough, and elimination of phlegm and yellow or green secretions. (5) A pandemic influenza of high lethality would fit the picture of incurable sannipata jwara, with stupor, expectoration, vomiting and exhaustion. (6) Ayurvedically, it is also important to be aware of which dhatu is being affected by jwara.
Acute fevers move swiftly through the astayi dhatus, penetrating deeper and deeper, giving rise to the ever changing symptom picture of flu-like illnesses as the symptom complexes of each dhatu appear sequentially. Initially there might be the body aches and nausea of rasa jwara, soon followed by the high fever and prostration of rakta jwara. This may be followed swiftly by fainting as doshas enter mamsa dhatu. Soon after comes the onset of anorexia, thirst, malaise and sometimes vomiting as doshas reach meda. In more serious cases of influenza, the intense bone pain and breathlessness of asthi jwara may follow and in extreme cases influenza may lead to encephalitis, an all-out majja jwara. (7)

Complementarities between the two views
In contemporary practice, the two views of influenza complement each other. Virology, biochemistry and phytochemistry offer the Ayurvedist valuable insights (8) in the selection of herbs that will be active against viral illnesses. For example, knowing of the impressive antiviral resumes of herbs such as turmeric, tulsi and neem may lead us to include these herbs in our influenza chikitsa (treatment), while taking their rasa (taste), virya (pre-digestive affect) and vipak (post-digestive affect) into account within the prakruti-vikruti paradigm.
At the same time, Ayurveda offers biomedicine and Western herbology potential answers to the question why only some exposed individuals will actually develop influenza, why some will be worse affected than others and why some are harmed by the same treatment that benefits others. A mother arrived in my clinic very concerned because her young daughter had not recovered from a flu-like illness despite dosing with echinacea, which cured her step-brother. We discontinued echinacea and she spontaneously recovered. As a vata, she was adversely affected by echinacea, a bitter and pungent herb that was beneficial for her kapha step-brother.

Benefits of Influenza
From a biomedical standpoint, influenza has an effect in priming the immune system, raising levels of interferon that help combat other viral challenges. A small child’s frequent flu-like illnesses are a kind of immunological curriculum, training their immune system to recognize and combat a wide range of viruses. From an Ayurvedic standpoint, it is important to distinguish between prakruta and vaikruta fevers. Prakruta fevers occur at the change of seasons in spring and fall and are the body’s way of expelling excess doshas.
These fevers are typically in the category of abhaisaja sadhya or illnesses that spontaneously remit without medicine. Suppressing these natural fevers leaves the doshas no way of being expelled and sets the stage for the onset of more serious conditions. On the other hand, vaikruta fevers occur unseasonably (such as kapha flu in summer) and should be treated vigorously as they represent an inherent imbalance. (9)

Hazards of influenza
Influenza is particularly troublesome in older adults (over fifty), in respiratory-compromised individuals such as asthmatics, in immuno-compromised situations like HIV and in those with chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease. These groups are more likely to develop significant pranavahasrotas (respiratory) disorders such as bronchitis and pneumonia as a consequence of catching flu. In light of these dangers, prevention is an important aspect of the approach to influenza.

Prevention
In working with those in the risk categories discussed above, it is particularly important to address influenza prevention during the fall and winter. An herbal formula to detoxify rasa and rakta and stimulate the immune response with herbs such as pippali, turmeric, and triphala, will be of value during this season. Immune Support ( this is a product) is a combination that includes these traditional herbs as well as echinacea and osha, which have known effects in stimulating the immune system. Daily use of Chyavanprash during flu season is very traditional and will help maintain the health of pranavahasrotas and fight off flu. A home-made Trinity Tea, is a tasty combination of tulsi, turmeric and ginger to make a warming and anti-viral beverage for use in the winter months, particularly for the at-risk populations. Of course, regular pancha karma at the change of seasons takes flu prevention to another level. Shodhana, or elimination therapies of pancha karma, expel the excess accumulated doshas, removing the need for the body to expel them through a prakruta fever.

Treatment
Influenza is treated by langhana (reducing) therapies, particularly fasting (10). Loss of appetite during fever is a response of cellular prana since agni has become externalized and is unable to digest solid food. A small child whose parents encouraged her to eat during an influenzal fever developed sores on her mouth and tongue. These immediately abated when she was asked to fast for a short while and sip fennel tea.
While fasting, the patient should sip warm water frequently and should avoid cold water, which will cause further accumulation of vata and kapha. In the case of a strong pitta fever, room temperature water can be sipped. (11) Herbal teas containing musta and ginger are ideal. Musta is regarded as the pre-eminent herb for fevers (12). Cooling herbs are added to this blend, traditionally sandalwood, now unavailable for sustainability reasons. Rose and coriander can be substituted to provide the cooling anti-febrile component. The texts emphasize that no solids, including powdered herbs, be taken at this time. (13) Sweating is applied using a ginger bath or sauna but oiling or lepana should not be applied. As the fever comes down and appetite begins to be felt, the patient should use bitter herbs such as

Mahasudarshan ( a product) to dispel toxins and can consume a thin gruel containing digestive spices such as ginger, coriander, and pippali (14). Kapha should add dashamula to these recipes. (15) Traditionally the reintroduction of foods progresses from manda (a liquid gruel) to peya, or semisolid gruel to yavagu or soup with boiled grains to vilepi, somewhat soupy boiled grains and finally to odana or solid boiled grains. (16) Vata and pitta can use rice for these recipes while kapha should use barley instead. Mung dal can also be used for the gruels while for gluten sensitive kaphas we have had good results substituting quinoa for barley in the traditional recipes. Non-vegetarians can also use chicken soup as a substitute for the quail soup mentioned in the texts (17). Maya Tiwari’s book Secrets of Healing contains recipes for the traditional gruel preparations of manda, peya, etc. showing how to use spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric and mineral salt in the recipes.

Following the reintroduction of food, it is wise to use rakta shodhan or blood cleansing herbs such as guduchi and musta (18) or a formula such as Blood Cleanse ( product)and to take Triphala (product) to expel residual doshas.

Aftercare
Following influenza the patient may be debilitated for weeks, even if they shook off the initial fever in a few days. At this time it is best to remain celibate, to continue an easily digestible diet and to introduce physical exertion gradually (19). Walking can be increased from slowly strolling around the block to gentle walks. Restorative yoga will also be helpful. Lung rejuvenative herbs such as licorice, pippali or Lung Formula are of value at this time, to clear up residual cough and upper respiratory symptoms and strengthen pranavahasrotas. The post-flu formula par excellence is Chyavanprash, which heals the lungs, boosts immunity and restores strength and energy. Post-influenzal depression arises from penetration of the virus and disease process into majjavahasrotas and is best addressed by a tea combining equal portions of brahmi and tulsi.

A Word about Pandemic Influenza
Influenza viruses responsible for causing pandemics are influenza A viruses which emerge as a result of a process called "antigenic shift” causing sudden, major change in certain proteins on the surface of the influenza A virus. This change is great enough that the body’s immune system finds the new virus unrecognizable. Much of the severity of pandemic flu may result from over-reactivity of the immune system, a process known as ‘cytokine storm’ which results in severe lung damage and ultimately necrolysis of the vital organs. (20) In this situation it is vital to avoid immune stimulants such as echinacea or Immune Support which are so valuable in epidemic and sporadic influenza. Honey should not be used for the same reason. Turmeric is the ideal herb to use in this situation since it will both fight the virus and calm the immune response.

Conclusion
As we have seen, although biomedicine and Ayurveda view influenza through different lenses, the two approaches can complement each other. Ancient texts provide detailed instructions regarding the prevention, treatment and aftercare of influenza.

1. Astanga Hridayam of Vagbhat, nidansthanam ii, v1-2 tr. Srikantha Murthy, Chowkhamba Krishanadas Academy, Varanasi, 2003
2. Charak Samhita, Chikitsasthanam, iii v15-25 tr. PV Sharma, Chaukhamba Orientalia, Varanasi1994
3. Hakan Leblebicioglu, MD http://www.emedicine.com/ped/TOPIC3006.HTM
4. A. H. op cit nidanasthanam ii3-6
5. ibid, ii v26
6. ibid ii v 35-37
7. C.S. op cit chikitsasthanam ii 75-83
8. Amritpal Singh, Reviving the Dravyaguna Curriculum, Light on Ayurveda Journal Fall 2008 Vol. 7 issue 1 p 37-39
9. C. S. op cit chikitsasthanam ii 42-49
10. A.H. op cit chikitsasthanam i v 1-2
11. ibid v 11-13
12. ibid v15-16
13. ibid v 18-19
14. ibid v 21-22
15. ibid v 24-26
16. ibid v 26-34
17. C.S. op cit chikitsasthanam ii v 190-193
18. A.H. op cit chkiitsasthanam i v 26-29
19. ibid v 174.
20. Osterholm, Proposed Mechanism of the Cytokine Storm Evoked by Influenza virus.
New England Journal of Medicine, 352 (18): 1839, Figure 3. May 5, 2005

Alakananda Ma is a British-trained physician who was one of the first Western medical doctors to practice Ayurveda in the US. She is a renowned teacher, lecturer, writer of insightful articles on Ayurveda and also principal of Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula, a traditional gurukula, in Boulder, Colorado. For more information on Alakananda Ma and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula please visit http://www.alandiashram.org

http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/nlimages/hr.gif

yajvan
08 December 2010, 05:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known. I will add their description and benefit as time permits.

Ashwagandha
Triphala
Gokshura
Guggulu
Hartitaki
Shatavarti
Pippali
Hingvastak
SitopaladiTriphala - or 3 fruits. Another staple of Ayurveda. This is a detoxifying and gentle elimination supplement made of amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki fruits. As we have talked about Ayurveda and the 6 tastes¹, triphala contains 5 of the 6 tastes ( no salty taste). It is therefore a balancer of the system for vata, pitta or kapha types and helps keep balance of all the doshas.
more later.

1. For the 6 tastes see: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16270&postcount=25

Triphala is a natual and very effective herb mixture. It is the first thing that is usually offered to bring balance to an imbalanced system. Here are some of the benefits ...
http://www.herbalcureindia.com/products/triphala.htm

praṇām