PDA

View Full Version : Question on Sandhya

sm78
17 December 2007, 06:07 AM
The colossus bengali ritual manual "purohit-darpan" which i am using to get used to the vedic sandhya paddhati (sama vediya) doesn't say anything on the seating posture. Since i do the brahmamurhurta kritta seated in lotus position I continue with the vedic sandhya in the same position.

However, in south india i discovered that people do sandhya sitting on their toes (kukutasana) ... a posture we use for saucha kriya.

Is there is a hard and fast directive on the posture and this particular position ??

In other words, Is there something seriously wrong with doing sandhya in siddha asana or padma asana ~ which seems to be the normal posture in all other devotional activities??

sm78
17 December 2007, 06:37 AM
Another question,

Is it required to utter the rishi, chanda, devta etc for each mantra used in sandhyavandanam.

The e-book below seems to ignore this all-together. For example here pranayam is given as just the uttering the sapta vahrtis + gayatri. where as in my book one must utter a full stanza before this begining with "omkarsya brahma rishi gayatri hcandas agnir devta sarvakarmarmbhe biniyogah, sapta vahritinam prajapati risish...etc etc". Same goes for marjan, aghamarsan and other mantras.
http://www.tiehh.ttu.edu/gopal/2005%20Upakarma%20vidhi.pdf (http://www.tiehh.ttu.edu/gopal/2005%20Upakarma%20vidhi.pdf)

It is not just this e-book but all the web resources (mostly south indian) seem to ignore the rishyadi smaranam...Is this OK ??.

sarabhanga
18 December 2007, 02:15 AM
Namaste Singhi,

kukkuTAsana is the “rooster pose”, which involves sitting balanced on one’s hands, which seems quite inappropriate for most of the saMdhyA. :confused:

The sUryopasthAnamantra should be repeated while standing on one foot, or on the tips of one’s toes; and so, performing the whole saMdhyA while sitting on one’s toes could be a confused extension of this traditional requirement. :rolleyes:

sarabhanga
18 December 2007, 03:21 AM
And yes, the RSi, devatA, chandas, and viniyoga, should be recited before every vaidika mantra. Such details should be transmitted in the dIkshA for each particular mantra.

Without knowing this information, the subject and the object, the intention, the aim and the application, the purport, the purpose and the process, all remain unknown; and there is perhaps little value in blindly reciting any mantra without such vital knowledge.

sm78
18 December 2007, 03:25 AM
This is the posture I was talking about - kukutasana may be the wrong name i attributed to

sarabhanga
18 December 2007, 05:44 AM
tarpaNam should be performed while standing, or with the left knee on the ground.
sUryArghyam should be performed while standing.
sUryopasthAnam should be performed while standing on one leg, or on tip-toes with heels off the ground.

Otherwise, the choice of Asanam depends on convenience.

The photographed posture is difficult to see exactly ~ it seems to be squatting, but resting on the toes of one foot (and my previous comment still applies).