PDA

View Full Version : Dream about Matajis

Baobobtree
24 December 2007, 02:15 PM
Namaste all.

Last night I had an interesting dream where I was walking through a museum of pictures of Mataji whilest being guided through it by an East Indian girl of about 14 years of age or so. I can recall seeing a picture of Chandi-Chamunda that she didn't really speak about then she showed me several pictures of Momai Mataji. The first of these showed a camel gripping a sword (similar to the one Durga has in one of her hands) in its paw and slicing off its mouth and nose. The girl explained to me that according to legend the camel had self sacrificed itself to Durga so that it could be reborn as either the vahana (vechile) of Durga, or as a goddess herself to help kill two demons (can't remember which it was). Then, in the next picture I saw Durga blessing Momai Mataji on top of a camel (in this picture Momai had about as many arms as Durga), and another of her just sitting on top of her camel again (in this picture Durga was not present and she only had four arms).

The girl then showed me a picture of a goddess with a pig's head (the name of which I forget), and she told me it was a form Durga assumed after she killed a pig demon, and placed it's head on top of her own (I forget the name of this goddess all together). After this she showed me the back of the museum where I saw a picture of Randal Mataji and another goddess who was supposed to be her sister. Oddly enough her sister looked exactly like most pictures I've seen of Randal Mataji(Having a red head dress and wearing a red and green sari), where as Randal had a browny purple head dress, and wore a completely red sari (I thought that might be her shadow image at first, but I remember the girl telling me she had a name which sounded nothing like Randal Mataji, and Mataji's shadow image is simply called Randal's shadow image).

Finally she showed me the last picture in the gallery which was of a murti form of Some godess. She told me the goddess' name was a fusion of both Ammba and Kali's name, but she had forgotten the specific name of that Goddess. The goddess' murti was completely black (except for a red bindi on its head which was surounded by a white ring), had several weapons in it's various arms, a nose ring going through its nostrils, and was seated in a pile of leaves in front of a large tree.

Would anyone happen to know of any goddesses that sound similar to the last three I mentioned, or would happen to know of any folklore or tales about Momai Mataji that sound familiar to the one I mentioned?

Jai Ma!

sarabhanga
24 December 2007, 06:41 PM
Namaste Baobob,

The girl then showed me a picture of a goddess with a pig's head (the name of which I forget), and she told me it was a form Durga
Her name is vArAhI, the shakti of varAha.

After this she showed me the back of the museum where I saw a picture of Randal Mataji and another goddess who was supposed to be her sister.
And randalA is saMjñA, the mother of the yamau (the twin).

She told me the goddess’ name was a fusion of both Ammba and Kali's name, but she had forgotten the specific name of that Goddess. The goddess' murti was completely black (except for a red bindi on its head which was surounded by a white ring), had several weapons in it's various arms, a nose ring going through its nostrils, and was seated in a pile of leaves in front of a large tree.
Her name is kalambikA, and she dwells in the shade of the kadamba.

Baobobtree
26 December 2007, 07:48 PM
Namaste Sarabhanga.

Her name is vArAhI, the shakti of varAha. Thanks, I had figured it might have been her as well, but I had doubts about this based on the mythology the girl told me about. Upon further research (prompted by your response) it appears she is a member of the Matriks, who are said in the Devi Mahatmya to be expansions of Durga Ma.

And randalA is saMjńA, the mother of the yamau (the twin). I'm fairly certain the other goddess wasn't Yamunaji, and that she probably was just her shadow image.

Her name is kalAmbikA, and she dwells in the shade of the kadamba. I can't really find much info on her. Would you happen to have any links to sites that mention her?

Thank you so much for your reply Sarabhanga, it's really appreciated.

Jai Ma!

sarabhanga
27 December 2007, 02:35 AM
Namaste Baobob,

saMjñA (randalA) is “mutual understanding or harmony”, and “consciousness or clear conception”. She is the consort of sUrya nArAyaNa, and the mother of the yamau (yama and yamI), the archetypal “twin” of sanAtana dharma, and as such she is the mother of all twins. Her very essence is a perfect twin.

yama is known as gaÑgA, and yamI as yamunA; and the perfect harmony of randalA is sarasvatI, the clear flowing consciousness.

saMjñA is the perfect SaNDhI (“hermaphrodite, eunuch, or virgin”), and she is the perfect saMdhyA (“holding together, union, junction or juncture”). She is the twi(n)light, and she indicates a promise or agreement.

And your dream has provided an amazingly accurate evocation of kAlambikA (the “black” ambikA).

All indications point to a successful marriage or an excellent conception.

Baobobtree
27 December 2007, 10:12 AM
saMjńA (randalA) is “mutual understanding or harmony”, and “consciousness or clear conception”. She is the consort of sUrya nArAyaNa, and the mother of the yamau (yama and yamI), the archetypal “twin” of sanAtana dharma, and as such she is the mother of all twins. Her very essence is a perfect twin. Ah I see. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to say at first.

And your dream has provided an amazingly accurate evocation of kalAmbikA (the “black ambikA”). I can't find much about Kalambika, but I did find some info on a goddess called Kaalikambal (All though she looks more like Tripura Sundari, then what I described here as looking like in my dream). Is she the same goddess as Kalambika?

All indications point to a successful marriage or an excellent conception. Really? Wasn't aware of that, thanks :)

sarabhanga
30 December 2007, 03:08 AM
The goddess’ murti was completely black (except for a red bindi on its head which was surounded by a white ring), had several weapons in it's various arms, and was seated in a pile of leaves in front of a large tree.

Namaste Baobob (and Bob G),

kalambikA or kAdambarI dwells at the celestial pole, as the stalk that supports the spoked lotus of the heavens, but closer to earth her radiant eyes look like this:

sarabhanga
30 December 2007, 04:08 AM
The ambikAkAlnAbhi is personified as shrI ambikAkAlnA, kAlambikA, or kAdambarI; she is the divine kalambikA or kadamba; and she is well known as ambikA, ambA, or ammA.