PDA

View Full Version : I am the knucklehead

yajvan
29 December 2007, 06:01 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

as of late I have been using icons of faces, etc. just to add something different to a post, yet I am puzzled by the intent or the message of some of the faces I see.
I get the easy ones http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif for happy or smiles or laughs.

But what I do not get is http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif wink... what does this say? Sometimes I seen it used as a closing that communicates to me 'how about that!' . Another time I seen it added to a slight admonishment and perhaps the wink meant ' you knucklehead'.

Now if I was walking down the street and a woman winked at me, I think it's flirting. If I am with a friend and he winks at me while in a conversation with an additional person ( a 3 way conversation), it suggests to me that he may be kidding the 3rd person we're talking to.
So you can see there are multiple ways of using this. Any clue on the etiquette of the wink? and what is the core meaning?

Another is this one :cool1: . I guess I can come up with a few ideas on this, but look to the Icon Expert to tell me what this means.
Last time I seen this was in high school when the principle pulled down his glasses to look at me in dis-belief, again 'you knucklehead' was implied. Any help here (too) will be rewarding.

:Roll: this one we just do not use enough! I hope we are not stuffed shirts. What good is wisdom if there is no laughter and fun?

And this one :doh: I use and to me, it is communicates a 'jheesh' or 'I goofed' or 'what was I thinking' or perhaps 'what were you thinking!'.

So to the astute Icon-o-clast that knows these , I would appreciate 'breaking the code' on these.

pranams,

Bob G
29 December 2007, 09:15 PM
Indeed, "I hope we are not stuffed shirts"

sarabhanga
29 December 2007, 09:45 PM
Namaste Yajvan,

A wink is “closing an eye as a hint or signal”, and as such it is equivalent with a nod ~ but a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. ;)

Winking can indicate noticing but ignoring (i.e. half accepting, turning a blind eye or allowing for some irregularity or deviation).

Winking can indicate some privately shared understanding.

And winking can indicate disbelief (as “my eye” or “humbug”).

A wink is a subtle indication that there is more to this than meets the eye or that the truth is not quite what it seems. And one who knows will surely understand it, while one who does not get the hint just won’t get it (but they may be driven to look deeper into the matter).

atanu
29 December 2007, 11:36 PM
Namaste All,

It is said that the person in the right eye (the Seer) is IndraAgni and He is the same person in the Sun (Indra+Agni). The person in the left eye is Indrani. Gods created a nose between so that they can make love to each other as another. When they make love and thereafter exhausted go to sleep together in the heart, one sleeps in bliss. This is consummation of the highest love. This is the Vedic truth.

Recently, I received a joke on phone. It is noted that in all cases, the two eyes are the best of friends, always acting together --- seeing, sleeping etc., except when one winks at a girl. So, it is said that the girl (the Maya community as a whole) has the power to break up even the best of friendship. This is also wisdom.;)

Pardon me Lord, for trying to separate you from your consort.

Now if I was walking down the street and a woman winked at me, I think it's flirting.

That gives a nice feeling, even to think of that. A slight boiling up of Soma. This I think, is Indra's secret desire to be adored by some other -- other than Indrani. I do not know what Indrani thinks of this. May be, occassional attraction for the non-self, deepens the bond between Indra and Indrani.

And similarly when one indulges in an illicit love affair with Indra (God), like sage Atri's wife and like all Dvaitins, under the delusion that Atri is not Indra or that Indra is not Atri, then one becomes like a stone, which state passes away on being touched by Rama -- the Bhadra Agni Self.

Om Namah Shivaya

Note: Well, this makes me think of some one eyed beings, for whom apparently, Indra and Indrani have not been separated. How do they wink?

yajvan
30 December 2007, 02:00 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

sarabhanga writes,

but a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. ;) Rod Steuart did have it right!

Winking can indicate some privately shared understanding. Yes, an inside joke, understanding and the like.

And winking can indicate disbelief (as “my eye” or “humbug”). I understand what you say here, but do not 'feel it'. That is not to say this does not have merit.

A wink is a subtle indication that there is more to this than meets the eye

This one resinates the best... yes, there is 'more to it' then meets the eye. And perhaps this behavior of the one-eyed wink means one is only seeing the 1/2 of it i.e. one eyed.

thank you for your eye-dea's.

pranams,

sarabhanga
30 December 2007, 04:17 PM
This makes me think of some one eyed beings, for whom apparently, Indra and Indrani have not been separated. How do they wink?

Namaste Atanu,

When Indra and Indrani are perfectly united there is only Yama (the Twin), and when that Cyclops winks there are no half measures!

sarabhanga
30 December 2007, 04:26 PM
Namaste Yajvan,

The meaning “close an eye as a hint or signal” is first recorded in English around 1100 AD, and the meaning “close one’s eyes to fault or irregularity” first appeared around 1480 AD.

And winking can indicate disbelief (as “my eye” or “humbug”) in exactly the same way as the French “mon oeil”, which is a wink (or a nod, in the sense of a hint or a signal); however, rather than closing one eye, the French expression is generally accompanied by pointing a finger knowingly at one eye.

Eastern Mind
30 December 2007, 04:43 PM
Knucklehead originated with the three stooges, if memory serves. Then there is the more modern Canucklehead to refer to certain down home Canadians. Anyways, what about poor suckers like me who because of lack of muscular independence around eyes, can't wink? It always comes out as a weird sort of half blink. God Siva's gift to keep the girls away (or vice versa) as a teen in the west, is my guess. Aum Namasivaya

Znanna
30 December 2007, 05:12 PM
When Indra and Indrani are perfectly united there is only Yama (the Twin), and when that Cyclops winks there are no half measures!

Aye, like the beam of a lighthouse which casts everything into shadow but its brilliance ... is it more unbearable to be blinded or to cast oneself into darkness??

"Cyclops" yeah.

Namaste,
ZN

sarabhanga
30 December 2007, 05:55 PM
Namaste Znanna,

The one blinking eye is the third eye of Rudra, and the fourth is the one unblinking eye that is Shiva. :)

yajvan
30 December 2007, 07:31 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
(ZN, it is nice to see you posting again)...

EM writes,
Knucklehead originated with the three stooges,
Quality Television at its best. I never had so much fun watchng Larry, Moe and Curley ( some like Shemp better)... they brought smiles to millions. Moe , Larry... cheese!

sarabhanga writes

when I think of Yama my mind goes to the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad and the question given to yajnavalkya muni: kim-devato'syam daksinayam disy asiti - which is the devata/deity that rules the southern direction?
The sage replys Yama is the diety. We also see Yama as dharmaraj. This dharmaraj is the ultimate deciding factor... no blinking, no half steps.

pranams

atanu
31 December 2007, 01:01 AM
Namaste Atanu,

Namaste Sarabhanga,

What you say is always valuable. Indra-Indrani copulating and then going to sleep, but the Sat (Antaryama and antaryami as ONE) never slumbers.

So, the couple, as you said in another post, is a myth. "Death was alone there - advitiyam", say the scriptures. And death is equated to hunger (desire). And this advitiyam -- Pragnya is merely the ray (smoke) of the immortal Advitiyam -- the Sat (beyond hunger).

The myth is however apparently, all juice, all honey -- in three states of existence, and cause of death. Three times Agni dies and becomes scared and comes to hide inside the waters (Man), till woken up by Varuna (Agni's God form).

Prostrations to Varuna, the Mandukya.
-----
Welcome back ZN.

Aye, like the beam of a lighthouse which casts everything into shadow but its brilliance ... is it more unbearable to be blinded or to cast oneself into darkness??

Always wonder with awe at your expressions. This knucklehead thread has become wise.

Om

yajvan
01 January 2008, 01:38 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~
Namaste atanu,
I am in hopes the new year finds you well & in good health...

It is noted that in all cases, the two eyes are the best of friends, always acting together --- seeing, sleeping etc

It is of interest that we have our two eyes, yet we say you see ( singular vs. plural). Just as we have two ears, but we hear.

Yet we say at times are you only half hearing what I am saying? as if to hear with one ear? Or do you not fully see what I am saying? as if 'seeing' is more reliable then hearing.
So as we get closer to the truth, seeing becomes the touchstone for reliability... as such we have our seers , the rishi's that 'see' or cognize the truth (satyam) in their consciousness/awareness.

I wrote,

Now if I was walking down the street and a woman winked at me, I think it's flirting and you replied
That gives a nice feeling even to think of that. A slight boiling up of Soma

Yes, you are right... this does not happen often ( in fact 1x in 55 years) and it made my heart flutter; I had no control over this, totally spontaneous. I am in hopes the devata in charge enjoyed the soma.

pranams

Eastern Mind
01 January 2008, 04:37 PM
re knucklehead: Ganapati bhaktars knock the sides of their heads with knuckles 3 times with arms folded as well as pull their ears down three times. I have been told this is to open the cranium to a higher vibration from the deity, and to help open the inner ears. (Yajvan: I don't think it worked for Larry on Moe) Do others have any other explanations? Also some people when prostrating (South Indian style, full out) touch both ears to the ground/floor. There's mysticism around these sense organs to be sure. Clairaudience and clairvoiyance come to mind. Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
01 January 2008, 08:16 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

EM writes

knock the sides of their heads with knuckles 3 times with arms folded as well as pull their ears down three times. I have been told this is to open the cranium to a higher vibration from the deity, and to help open the inner ears. (Yajvan: I don't think it worked for Larry on Moe)

If it did work i.e. knock the sides of their heads with knuckles 3 times these folks then were enlightened muni's... God bless them.
http://www.threestooges.com/news/images/photo_NewYear.jpg

pranams

atanu
02 January 2008, 10:13 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~
Namaste atanu,
I am in hopes the new year finds you well & in good health...
--
Yes, you are right... this does not happen often ( in fact 1x in 55 years) and it made my heart flutter; I had no control over this, totally spontaneous. I am in hopes the devata in charge enjoyed the soma.

pranams

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

May the new year find you in such good condition that you begin to get more winks. However, probably a man gets wise and wants nothing more than 1x in 55 years.

Regards

Om