PDA

View Full Version : What is a major book of Sri Maha Vishnu other than Bhagavad Gita?

bhargavsai
04 January 2008, 09:15 AM
Sir, what is the major book of the all merciful Lord of the Lords?
I know books like Bhagavad Gita and so on, I want some different book.

satay
04 January 2008, 09:20 AM
Namaskar and welcome to HDF,

Please consider taking the sweet nectar from Srimad Bhagavatam.

Hari Bol!

bhargavsai
05 January 2008, 02:00 AM
Can I get Bhagavatham Online?

saidevo
05 January 2008, 09:33 AM
Vishnu Bhagavatam (Srimad Bhagavatam, the other one is Devi Bhagavatam) can be read online/downloaded at these links:

http://e-vedas.com/books/sb_set_1.htm (10 cantos) (total 47.5 MB)
(phrasewise meaning and commentary by Srila Prabhupada)

http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/index.html (online reading)

bhargavsai
07 January 2008, 08:05 AM
Thank You Sir.Saidevo.

ritueshwara
25 March 2009, 09:47 AM
Thank you saidevo, for the link..... :)

kd gupta
10 May 2009, 02:34 AM
there are two good sites to download holy hindu granths.
1. www.vedpuran.com (http://www.vedpuran.com)
2.www.astrojyoti.com

ranjeetmore
21 November 2009, 05:55 PM
The most amazing scripture is Bhagavatam and then Tulsi Ramayan.

In these two scriptures,the actual positions of Sri Krsna and Sri Rama are revealed.

But if you want to read about the opulence of Four handed Naryana,it would do you good to visit the Ramanuja sites

Radhe Radhe

amith vikram
01 December 2009, 12:07 AM
hi,
google search for VISHNU PURAN by manmath nath dutt.Its not the complete version,but you get to know all the stories.

charlebs
30 August 2010, 10:57 AM
have you read the ramayana? it contains a lot of information about a lot of subjects. stories being told to rama by his teacher for example, and of course the superhuman powers rama displayed! :)

Eastern Mind
31 August 2010, 07:28 AM
Vannakkam: Here is a link to some more: the Vaishnava agamas, and the hymns of the Tamil alvars. I am not sure if any English translations are available, but I'm guessing our friend Saidevo can point you in the right direction, if they aren't already listed in his on-line library link.

http://www.indianetzone.com/48/history_vaishnavism.htm

Aum Namasivaya

Vaishnava
05 September 2010, 12:31 PM
Pls read Valmiki Ramayana for sure. This is a itihaasa purana, while others are composed later. Besides Valmiki is initiated by Narada, having instructed by Brahma etc. and so Valmiki Ramayana is considered as most authorized by learned scholars.

For e.g., in Valmiki Ramayana, we see Hanuman going to gobble up the sun when he was young but falls down on earth itself after going some yojanas. So, from it avoids unnecessary conflicts with science as to going into space etc. Its a history recorded I mean to say.

http://valmikiramayan.net/

I believe that Sri Madhvacharya preferred Moola Ramayana for some reason, but I haven't read that.

openyoureyes
16 September 2010, 10:52 AM
Don't forget about the Uddhava Gita!

upsydownyupsy mv ss
20 September 2010, 10:27 AM
Sir, what is the major book of the all merciful Lord of the Lords?
I know books like Bhagavad Gita and so on, I want some different book.

Well there are huge in numbers....
Vishnu Puran
Shiva Puran (I'm saying this because, you used the term 'all merciful lord of lords' which is a title to both Vishnu and Shiva :p.)
Maha Bharatha.
Ramayana -> my favourite one. I read the Kuvempu's gadhya version of this. (The only one of these which I have touched. I've started reading this.)
Srimad Bhagavatham (I read the ISKON version of this in my college library, it was beautiful and wonderful, but got irritated on seeing the whole 'krishna is greater than shiva' issue there and stopped reading it, but other versions don't give completely this viewpoint.)

Try books on 'Baja Govindam' of Adi Shankara, its wonderful!!!! Translated versions are more beautiful. You'll love it for sure. I don't know where to get it online, but I have a book at home, read it. Its a Swami Vivekananda Prakashana.

orlando
18 January 2011, 11:53 AM
Don't forget about the Uddhava Gita!

Uddhava Gita is found in the eleventh canto of Srimad Bhagavata Purana.

anatman
18 January 2011, 02:44 PM
Read Anu-gita, it is the second discourse between Sri Krishna and Arjuna after the Mahabharat war.

You can get it here

http://www.gita-society.com/section3/more-scriptures.htm

giridhar
20 January 2011, 02:52 AM
Read Anu-gita, it is the second discourse between Sri Krishna and Arjuna after the Mahabharat war.

You can get it here

Hey Anatman !!!

i reproduce the first page of AnuGita here...

****************** first page begins **************************
Vâsudeva said:

From me, O son of Prithâ! you heard a mystery, and learnt about the eternal (principle), about piety in (its true) form, and about all the everlasting worlds. It is excessively disagreeable to me, that you should not have grasped it through want of intelligence. And the recollection (of it) now again is not possible (to me). Really, O son of Pându! you are devoid of faith and of a bad intellect. And, O Dhanañjaya! it is not possible for me to repeat in full (what I said before). For that doctrine was perfectly adequate for understanding the seat, of the Brahman. It is not possible for me to state it again in full in that way. For then accompanied by my mystic power, I declared to you the Supreme Brahman. But I shall relate an ancient story upon that subject, so that adhering to this knowledge, you may attain the highest goal. O best of the supporters of piety! listen to all that I say. (Once), O restrainer of foes! there came from the heavenly world and the world of Brahman, a Brâhmana difficult to withstand, and he was (duly) honored by us. (Now) listen, without entertaining any misgivings, O chief of the descendants of Bharata! O son of Prithâ! to what he said on being interrogated by us according to heavenly rules.

So , what Shri Aurobindo & "Brahm Kumaris" say is true .. Namely, that in the battle field, the GodHead descended in Shri Krishna's body & it was that God Head that was speaking through Shri Krishna.. Initially, i laughed at this, when i was into HK theology, but later i realized from inside this is true..

Im reminded of SHiva GIta posted by AGNIDEVA...

Now, im seeing the proof !!! U r great.. Anatman, U have certain terrici links.. keep it up !!

anatman
20 January 2011, 03:38 AM
So , what Shri Aurobindo & "Brahm Kumaris" say is true .. Namely, that in the battle field, the GodHead descended in Shri Krishna's body & it was that God Head that was speaking through Shri Krishna.. Initially, i laughed at this, when i was into HK theology, but later i realized from inside this is true..

Yes, that's right.
Sri Krishna was just an instrument used by the supreme Brahman to expound the doctrine of Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna and to the World.

Every action in this world is done by the Para-Brahman himself, we are just his instruments, that is all.

giridhar
20 January 2011, 04:39 AM
Yes, that's right.
Sri Krishna was just an instrument used by the supreme Brahman to expound the doctrine of Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna and to the World.

Every action in this world is done by the Para-Brahman himself, we are just his instruments, that is all.

V V V true !!!

BHai, kidly check ur Inbox .. Kindly do the needful .. please..

anirvan
26 March 2011, 09:09 AM
Dear Giridhar and Anantam,

whatever you said is correct.i will just elaborate.

major Avatars are generally comes for a certain purpose of supremebrahman who is supreme guru (jagatguru).

Srikrishna is such major Avatar.but Avatars are usually ignorant of their swaroop.only after initiated with Guru their purpose of avtar becomes clear.

in srikrishna"s life only twice he was established in complete jagatguru swaroop. once he in Kurukshetra while teaching bhagbat gita, and second time in Maharaas leela. those time the jagatguru was fully manifested in him.

But in this respect, Satguru is one whose swaroop can never be hindered by Maya.he is always established in Guru-bhava.

for bhakti few more important books are

1-BHAGBATAM
2-NARAD BHAKTISUTRA
3-PADMAPURAN
4-CHAITANYA CHARITMRITA
jayaguru

smaranam
27 March 2011, 09:26 AM
Namaste

Srikrishna is such major Avatar.but Avatars are usually ignorant of their swaroop.only after initiated with Guru their purpose of avtar becomes clear.

Shri KrushNa was not such an avatAr. He is avatAri, and those who do not think so, should at least look at Him as PUrNa-avatAr of ShrimAn NArAyaN, VishNu. KRushNa's initiation from Sandipani Muni was a Leela to demonstrate the importance of accepting a Guru. Remember He saved (brought back) the Guru's son.

in srikrishna"s life only twice he was established in complete jagatguru swaroop. once he in Kurukshetra while teaching bhagbat gita, and second time in Maharaas leela. those time the jagatguru was fully manifested in him.

But in this respect, Satguru is one whose swaroop can never be hindered by Maya.he is always established in Guru-bhava.

for bhakti few more important books are

1-BHAGBATAM
2-NARAD BHAKTISUTRA
3-PADMAPURAN
4-CHAITANYA CHARITMRITA
jayaguru

I am sorry to say i do not agree with the statements in blue.

So, KRushNa was conditionally PArabrahman ?

0. Let us skip the transcendental "birth" of Shri KRushNa owing to BG 18.67

1. PUtnA vadh - PUtnA came to kill Him - a newborn. She died instead, at His hands. However, KRushNa kept account of the shadowy traces of maternal love she felt for the Baby for a fraction of a second and gave her the status of a mother in Vaikuntha !

kis mitti ke bane ho Tum KAnhA ?!

2. When Narad Muni visited Nanda-Yashoda, he walked into the front yard to be blessed with an amazing site:

This girl YashodA must have really done some major puNya in the past!
PArabrahman (toddler KRushNa) is rolling on the ground, crying for her attention and she refuses to pick Him up as she has lots of work to do!
The One who holds the Universe as an atom on the tip of His finger has to convince His mother to please pick Him up ! What saubhAgya and what mercy !

3. I do not see any point in talking about all other Leelas as the entire Bhagvatam will have to be here.

For those who are interested, Canto 10 describes KRushNa leelas, however, one must read Shrimad Bhagvatam from the very beginning and sequencially to understand KRushNa.

VrundAvan ka kaN kaN bole, Shri KrushNa sharaNam mama

praNAm

smaranam
27 March 2011, 09:50 AM
Namaste again

About Anu GitA - please listen only if you are interested -

KRushNa said that to Arjun so that the same teaching can be compiled in a different manner for the world. "I don't remember everything now" was a Leela ! A "divine laziness" Leela as well ("Oh no! not again, Arjun!").

I presume everyone knows that KrushNa-Arjun saMvAd (conversation) at Kurukshetra was also a leela for the benefit of mankind ?

Arjun is liberated, one of His pArshads, and a participant in KRushNa's pastimes on earth for the sake of the world. Many a question that he poses are for our benefit.

Oh, but why am i saying all this ?
Please forgive me MohanA if that was a wrong thing to do...

praNAm

anirvan
28 March 2011, 07:27 AM
Dear Smaranam,

I am very sorry if unknowingly hurt your shraddha,:) , but you are not able to see the rational behind it. srikrishna is Purna-avtar, Avatari and purnabrahman...there is not slightest doubt about it.and nothing is more dear to me than Srikrishna.he is 16 kala-avatar described in bhagabatam.

But does his glory,greatness even slightly diminished what i have written in my previous post???

absolutely no. because this is his leela. guru-sisya, bhakta-bhagaban, krishna-radha all are leela. and everything is originated by him,so every rule is also respected by him only.

whatever i have told is not my sayings.its sayings of many great saints...though who see Srikrishna as purnabrahman/jagatguru.

whatever i have said is absolutely true.because if you say this is not true in case of srikrishna.then it will amount to be saying that other Avtars are smaller and the rule is different to different avtars.

Each avtars are same and equal. we attach different tags/greatness depending upon the amount of AISHARYA or divine impact shown by different avatars. but truth is that these difference is because of there purpose of a Particular Avtar only at a particular time.

When a Avtar comes, his shakti is always accompany him much before his appearance on earth. and remember most of his leela,his divine work are done by his Shakti even without his knowledge.

Long before srikrishna came, YOGAMAYA came to prepare the field for his descending.she came in the form of PAURNMASI in Brajadham.she has done all the leelas during balya-leela.(purnabrahman jagatguru has come to kill few demons like Putna,agh/bagasur......by saying we are actually diminishing his divine power...these small things are done by his shakti without his leela).Even Maharaas happened in Sarad purnima is totally arranged,conducted by Paurnmasi.

one more thing..by ignorant of his virtue of his Avatar,doesn"t decrease his divine power.Guru-sisya leela is also true.he himself said in Gita that whatever is done by greats will be followed by common peoples.so how can he break his own rule?

And again who is krishna and who is Guru?tow different body,but one atman. Guru has the absolute ability to break open the covering of Maya,be it common man ,be it purna avtar.

We shouldn"t see any difference between parsuram avtar and srikrishna avtar. but yes when srikrishna is our ISTHA,we develop ISTHA-NISTHA..and we everything as srikrishna.this isthanistha is very important for spiritual growth.

you go through bhagabatam,and other vaishnab scripture,you will be convinced.we tow krishna bhakta are talking his virtues...its also a leela:)

lots of love

jayasrikrishna

Adhvagat
28 March 2011, 08:28 AM
I've just noticed that all my images here are from the Bhagavatam history.

I have a question, how commonly are Bhagavat Saptahas performed in India? Or are they reserved for special dates and occasions?

anirvan
29 March 2011, 12:43 AM
Bhagabatam saptah is usually being arranged in spacial occasion...auspicious period for maximum benifit. and usually its end day should be some fullmoon,some spl sankranti.

nowdays its only limited in small town,villages where some spirituality left out. major cities only the tamasika demonic tradition has swept away everything. In India more than 90% are atheist,they laugh about god,religion and rebirth.

Actual definition of Atheist in Sanatan dharma is those who dont believe in Rebirth,not those who doesn"t believe in God.

charlebs
01 April 2011, 04:55 AM

You can get it here

I got that book at the place I am now : D I love the way it's written, and was hard to understand at first but now it gives inspiration and guidance on every part I open it : )

spiritualquest
01 April 2011, 05:29 AM
I got that book at the place I am now : D I love the way it's written, and was hard to understand at first but now it gives inspiration and guidance on every part I open it : )

I never heard of this book before. Who is publisher or where does it mention ? Please provide me some information regarding this book.

Thanks.

anatman
01 April 2011, 05:39 AM

Yes, its well written and it does confuse you when you read it the first time.