PDA

View Full Version : What/Who is god?

skhandelwal
09 January 2008, 11:08 PM
Since according to our shastra, even gods like vishnu have an age....and are bounded by Karma.....I am beginning to think, it is just a level to be ascended at...may be just like devta, there are gods beyond that we are not aware of....or are beyond our current understanding. Since the whole world seem to be regulated by a current of flow, system of Karma, and other things, this hints the philosophy we are all one. But doesn't explain the truth that if we are all one, how come there is suffering? I know, to look at suffering as a bad thing is an act of close-mindedness, may be everything makes sense...but still, even though we are all one, one thing is certain, distinctions exist among us.

In my view and experience, ascendence on spiritual ladder provides us clarity, vision, and satisfaction, but doesn't provide us answers. From its bliss, it makes us forget our egoful urges, however, an unasnswered question still remains an unanswered question. I am not talking about the fact that my question is a result of my something else and the answer itself will not heal it, b/c the problem is truly something else. I am saying that no matter what happens, the question still exist, and it is avoided, misguided, but never answered.

Finally makes me realize that religion doesn't provide answers, it only provides solutions.

Rajalakshmi
10 January 2008, 01:14 AM
Since according to our shastra, even gods like vishnu have an age....and are bounded by Karma.....

Vedantins dont accept that Ishvara has karma. It is only Brahman's reflection in avidyA (jIva) that has karma. Brahman's reflection in mAyA ( Ishvara) is sarvajna and sarva-shaktimAn and does not have karma.

sarabhanga
10 January 2008, 01:27 AM
According to our shAstram, the advaita brahma is aja (unborn and eternal) and untouched by karma.

And all suffering is due to dvaitam. But this does NOT mean that all dvaitavAda causes suffering! I have repeatedly stated the vital importance of yama, and especially ahiMsA, and the dualistic vision of heaven is just like life on earth, except that EVERY soul admitted to heaven is bound by perfect ahiMsA.

One thing is certain, and that is that ALL distinctions are ultimately mAyA!

mAyAvAda answers ALL questions, and ajAtivAda is the ultimate truth.

skhandelwal
10 January 2008, 02:18 AM
However, I read in some Upanishad that all gods are aging, later, spacial age will end and spiritual age will come where all souls have attained Mokscha, and then we will live in a spiritual reality....a land filled w/ enlightened beings, working on their ascending ladders.

sarabhanga
10 January 2008, 04:10 AM
However, I read in some Upanishad ...

Which Upanishad ?

skhandelwal
10 January 2008, 11:23 AM
I borrowed it from a library, to I'll have to get a hold of it again, so I don't think I'll be able to let you know that for some time.

Bob G
10 January 2008, 01:26 PM
Hello Skhandelwal,

Are you referring to infromation related to the, "day and night of Brahma"?

(which will pop up with many web hits through a search)

Om

skhandelwal
10 January 2008, 02:37 PM
Actually, the upanishad I read, contained that information as well....along w/ how long each yuga is, and when it will be over...etc. But no, I didn't get it online....I got it from an Upanishad.
(it was a midsize book, compilation of 4 consecutive upanishad)...it was part of a volume series.

TatTvamAsi
21 January 2008, 10:56 PM
the cosmological timescales of Hinduism are always fascinating!

It looks like the only 'thing' that is beyond the space-time causal plane is Brahman. All manifestations of THAT are part of the lila and therefore subject to aging etc. However, some beings, such as Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma are supposed to be free of Karma and therefore Samsara. Yet, they are still subject to 'time' which means that after each epoch, there will be a new Brahma, Vishnu, & Shiva.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

sarabhanga
22 January 2008, 01:48 AM
Namaste TTA,

The dvaita trimUrti of brahmA, viSNu, and bhairava, is jA ~ but advaitam (known as brahma, nara, or shiva) is aja.

TatTvamAsi
22 January 2008, 02:18 AM
Namaste TTA,

The dvaita trimUrti of brahmA, viSNu, and bhairava, is jA ~ but advaitam (known as brahma, nara, or shiva) is aja.

I see. So the advaita philosophy states that brahma, nara, or shiva is 'eternal' or 'unborn' (aja)?? That means that advaita claims that Shiva, Nara (although is that separate from Narayana--Vishnu?), or Brahma is Brahman and is inseparable.