PDA

View Full Version : Common man hindu

Flavio
16 January 2008, 06:23 AM
Namaste,
I have a question for all.
It is my understanding that hindu society is divided into brahmins and other castes.
Now,I know about brahmins thanks to the threads posted in this forum,but I don't understand weel about other people in the society.I want to know what are the religious prescriptions for the "common man",the worker,the soldier,the farmer and so on.Do they eat meat and drink alcoholic beverages?Do they pray to gods and perform puja?And do they eat sattvic foods?
The various hindu traditions are meant for brahmins only?

Bob G
16 January 2008, 03:44 PM
Hello Flavio,

A quick take on a key principle related to what I think is a part of your question:

A true Lord does not lord it over on others, for if He does then that aspect of the law is corrupted. (in a like way the inner meaning of the caste system can be corrupted even though in essence it is or was in accordance with spiritual law.

My two cents anyway,

Om

sarabhanga
16 January 2008, 04:16 PM
I know about brahmins thanks to the threads posted in this forum, but I don't understand well about other people in the society.

Namaste Flavio,

It should not be assumed that this forum refers only to brAhmaNa dharma. That is of course the full expression of sanAtana dharma, but no part of society is excluded from the system, from fallen shUdra to risen avadhUta. And in various threads I have already described many aspects of brahmacarya dharma, gRhastha dharma, vanaprastha dharma, saMnyAsa dharma, kshatriya dharma, vaishya dharma, and even shUdra dharma (which is simply respecting one’s elders and not killing anyone).

atanu
17 January 2008, 01:05 AM
Namaste,
I have a question for all.
It is my understanding that hindu society is divided into brahmins and other castes.
Now,I know about brahmins thanks to the threads posted in this forum,but I don't understand weel about other people in the society.I want to know what are the religious prescriptions for the "common man",the worker,the soldier,the farmer and so on.Do they eat meat and drink alcoholic beverages?Do they pray to gods and perform puja?And do they eat sattvic foods?
The various hindu traditions are meant for brahmins only?

Namaste Flavio,

This question may require one to comprehend what really is Brahmana, Kshatriya, Vaishya, and Shudra.

I offer my understanding. There is Brahman only -- the unlimited pure awareness. He knows "I am Brahman" and as a knower He is the original Brahmana, a sage. He projects His awareness to excellent Kshatriyas -- the controllers and rulers: Indra, Varuna, Rudra, Yama, Soma, Parjanya and Ishana. He worships the Kshatriyas though the Kshatriyas subsist on the original Brahmana. He projects Vaishyas, common people: Vasus, Rudras, and Adityas, and worships them. Then He projects Shudra -- Pushan (Earth) and worships him.

Shudra though apparently lowest is the highest, since it is the support of all -- like the feet in the human body.

From Gita

18.20 Sarvabhooteshu yenaikam bhaavamavyayameekshate;
Avibhaktam vibhakteshu tajjnaanam viddhi saattwikam.

18.20. That by which one sees the one indestructible Reality in all beings, not separate in all the separate beings—know thou that knowledge to be Sattwic (pure).

18.21 Prithaktwena tu yajjnaanam naanaabhaavaan prithagvidhaan;
Vetti sarveshu bhooteshu tajjnaanam viddhi raajasam.

18.21. But that knowledge which sees in all beings various entities of distinct kinds as different from one another—know thou that knowledge to be Rajasic (passionate).
---------------------

Needless to say that the pure knowledge is good knowledge, preferred over the passionate knowledge.

Om Namah Shivaya

sarabhanga
17 January 2008, 02:40 AM
Namaste Atanu,

Shudra though apparently lowest is the highest, since it is the support of all -- like the feet in the human body.

Indeed, the shUdra and the avadhUta are almost indistinguishable ~ higher or lower status is irrelevant to both, since both regard none above them but heaven itself. The innocent shUdra is fallen directly from the sun and rises autochthonous from the earth (and likewise the avadhUta). But the shUdra is arbitrarily self-informed, while the avadhUta is truly Self-informed.

atanu
17 January 2008, 03:24 AM
Namaste Atanu,

--But the shUdra is arbitrarily self-informed, while the avadhUta is truly Self-informed.

Namaskar Sarabhanga Ji,

True.

Then the first Shudra is just ignorant (as may happen with any other) and the second Shudra (avadhuta) is Jnani (as may happen with any other).

Om

sarabhanga
17 January 2008, 04:12 AM
The first Shudra is just ignorant (as may happen with any other) and the second Shudra (avadhuta) is Jnani (as may happen with any other).

Namaste Atanu,

There is a shUdra born every second of every day, and all children (until the age of five) are blameless and veritable shUdrAs. But the avadhUta is born by wisdom rather than ignorance, and perfected by saMskAra and dIkshA and sAdhana.

Everyone is born as a mortal shUdra, but very few become an immortal avadhUta!

atanu
17 January 2008, 04:37 AM
Namaste Atanu,

There is a shUdra born every second of every day, and all children (until the age of five) are blameless and veritable shUdrAs. But the avadhUta is born by wisdom rather than ignorance, and perfected by saMskAra and dIkshA and sAdhana.

Everyone is born as a mortal shUdra, but very few become an immortal avadhUta!

Extremely well said.

Om