PDA

View Full Version : Ahilya & Indra

soham3
28 January 2008, 01:09 AM
I have read that Ahilya was not deceived when Indra came in guise of Sage Gautam to outrage her modesty. Being an advanced soul herself, she was able to see through the reality of the situation clearly that the man was not her husband but an impostor & Indra at that. Yet unfortunately, she did not resist. One would have expected her to put up a brave fight. By the way, there is a version that she was proud of her beauty and wanted to give chance to Indra willingly.

Agnideva
28 January 2008, 06:46 AM
Namaste Soham,

The story of Indra and Ahalya is just a way of explaining why Indra is called Sahasraksha (thousand eyed). Perhaps there is more significance to it than that, but I am not sure.

Aum.

soham3
29 January 2008, 10:45 PM
Indra mated first with Ahilya and immediately afterwards Surya mated with her. As a result, Sugriva & Vali were conceived respectively. Because Vali was conceived later, so he came out of the womb first and the world recognized him as the elder brother. Sage Gautama threw away both of them because they were not his sons.
It may be recalled that the Gautama's real son was purohit in king Janaka's court.

Agnideva
30 January 2008, 03:35 PM
Indra mated first with Ahilya and immediately afterwards Surya mated with her. As a result, Sugriva & Vali were conceived respectively. Because Vali was conceived later, so he came out of the womb first and the world recognized him as the elder brother. Sage Gautama threw away both of them because they were not his sons.
It may be recalled that the Gautama's real son was purohit in king Janaka's court.
Namaste Soham,

I thought the story goes that after the incident with Indra, Ahalya was turned to stone by Gautama, only later to be liberated by Ramachandra. What is the source of the above story?

Aum.

soham3
30 January 2008, 09:44 PM
Ahilya did not become stone. After she gave birth to Vali & Sugriva, she continued to remain at the same place in suspended animation or unconscious state in the astral form. When Rama was going to Janakapuri, he saw this place which was in shambles. He became curious and went in to investigate it. As soon as he entered that dilapidated ashram, a 16 years old girl sprung up as if from no where. Then Ahilya prostrated & thanked Rama.