PDA

View Full Version : Mahesh Prasad Verma passes

yajvan
06 February 2008, 10:34 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Mahesh Prasad Verma , mahaṛṣi mahesh yogī chose mahasamadhi Feb 5~6th ( 2008 ) , on Krsna Charurdasi ( the same tithi as his birth); This tithi is owned by siva. Maharishi was a shaivite, good man, and established in Brahman.

He chose to drop the body as the sun heads in its north path, uttarayana (some also call it saumayayana) surya enters its rasi sign of Capricorn and starts its northern march.

Mahaṛṣi was thought to be ~91 years of age. He was a yogi that was blessed to have as his guru the Śaṅkarācārya of Jyotirmath (1941-1953) , svāmī brahmānanda sarasvatī .

I am a better person for having known him & listened to his wisdom, as he brought the tradition of Masters to the forefront of knowledge and removed the darkness for many on this good earth; For this I am in his debt to the end of time.

Mahaṛṣi with svāmī lakṣman-jū

http://www.maharishiphotos.com/picsf101.jpg

jai guru dev

atanu
13 February 2008, 01:16 AM
The following info, I got from another forum:

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died Tuesday at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop, a spokesman said. He was thought to be 91 years old.

"He died peacefully at about 7 p.m.," said Bob Roth, a spokesman for the Transcendental Meditation movement that Maharishi founded. He said his death appeared to be due to "natural causes, his age."

Once dismissed as hippie mysticism, the Hindu practice of mind control known as transcendental meditation gradually gained medical respectability.
He began teaching TM in 1955 and brought the technique to the United States in 1959. But the movement really took off after the Beatles attended one of his lectures in 1967.

Maharishi retreated last month into silence at his home on the grounds of a former Franciscan monastery, saying he wanted to dedicate his remaining days to studying the ancient Indian texts that underpin his movement.
"He had been saying he had done what he set out to do," Roth said late Tuesday.

With the help of celebrity endorsements, Maharishi — a Hindi-language title for Great Seer — parlayed his interpretations of ancient scripture into a multi-million-dollar global empire. His roster of famous meditators ran from Mike Love of the Beach Boys to Clint Eastwood and Deepak Chopra, a new age preacher.

After 50 years of teaching, Maharishi turned to larger themes, with grand designs to harness the power of group meditation to create world peace and to mobilize his devotees to banish poverty from the earth.

His rise to fame came with his association with the Beatles, who first attended one of his lectures in August 1967 in Wales as they looked for a way of attaining higher consciousness in the aftermath of that year's Summer of Love.

The Beatles were so charmed by the self-effacing guru that they agreed to stay with at his India compound, starting in February 1968, an astonishing choice for what was then the world's most celebrated music group.

But once there, Maharishi had a falling out with the rock stars after rumors emerged that he was making inappropriate advances on attendee Mia Farrow. John Lennon was so angry he wrote a bitter satire, "Sexy Sadie," in which he vowed that Maharishi would "get yours yet."

Maharishi insisted he had done nothing wrong and years later McCartney agreed with him. Deepak Chopra, a disciple of Maharishi's and a friend of George Harrison's, has disputed the Farrow story, saying instead that Maharishi had become unhappy with the Beatles because they were using drugs.
Director David Lynch, creator of dark and violent films, lectured at college campuses about the "ocean of tranquility" he found in more than 30 years of practicing TM.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, Lynch said it has aided him "in every aspect of life."

He said he believed Maharishi has laid the groundwork for world peace, even if that was not immediately apparent from world affairs.

"The world appears in bad shape on the surface, but I compare it to a tree: there are yellow sickly leaves dropping off but Maharishi has brought nourishment to the roots. Hang on for a little while longer, it's coming."
His followers say that some 5 million people devoted 20 minutes every morning and evening reciting a simple sound, or mantra, and delving into their consciousness.

"Don't fight darkness. Bring the light, and darkness will disappear," Maharishi said in a 2006 interview, repeating one of his own mantras.

Donations and the $2,500 fee to learn TM financed the construction of Peace Palaces, or meditation centers, in dozens of cities around the world. It paid for hundreds of new schools in India.

In 1974, Maharishi founded a university in Fairfield, Iowa, that taught meditation alongside the arts and sciences to 700 students and served organic vegetarian food in its cafeterias.

In 2001, his followers founded Maharishi Vedic City, a town of about 200 people a few miles north of Fairfield. The city requires the construction of buildings according to design principles set by Maharishi for harmony with nature.

Ed Malloy, a TM practitioner and mayor of Fairfield, said Maharishi's followers in Iowa were spending Tuesday evening meditating and holding a "celebration of gratitude for everything he's given."

Supporters pointed to hundreds of scientific studies showing that meditation reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, improves concentration and raises results for students and businessmen.

Skeptics ridiculed his plan to raise $10 trillion to end poverty by sponsoring organic farming in the world's poorest countries. They scoffed at his notion that meditation groups, acting like psychic shock troops, can end conflict.
"To resolve problems through negotiation is a very childish approach," he said.

In 1986, two groups founded by his organization were sued in the U.S. by former disciples who accused it of fraud, negligence and intentionally inflicting emotional damage. A jury, however, refused to award punitive damages.

Over the years, Maharishi also was accused of fraud by former pupils who claim he failed to teach them to fly. "Yogic flying," showcased as the ultimate level of transcendence, was never witnessed as anything more than TM followers sitting in the cross-legged lotus position and bouncing across spongy mats.

Maharishi was born Mahesh Srivastava in central India, reportedly on Jan. 12, 1917 — though he refused to confirm the date or discuss his early life.
He studied physics at Allahabad University before becoming secretary to a well known Hindu holy man. After the death of his teacher, Maharishi brought his message to the West in a language that mixed the occult and science that became the buzz of college campuses.

Maharishi's trademark flowing beard and long, graying hair appeared on the cover of the leading news magazines of the day. But aides say Maharishi became disillusioned that TM had become identified with the counterculture. In 1990 he moved onto the wooded grounds of a monastery in Vlodrop, about 125 miles southeast of Amsterdam.

Concerned about his fragile health, he secluded himself in two rooms of the wooden pavilion he built on the compound, speaking only by video to aides around the world and even to his closest advisers in the same building. John Hagelin, a theoretical physicist who ran for the U.S. presidency three times on the Maharishi-backed Natural Law Party, said that from the Dutch location Maharishi had daylong access to followers in India, Europe and the Americas.

"He runs several shifts of us into the ground," said Hagelin, Maharishi's closest aid, speaking in Vlodrop about his then-89-year-old mentor. "He is a fountainhead of innovation and new ideas — far too many than you can ever follow up."

Can anyone, especially Yajvan Ji write a few lines about his teachings and TM method?

Om

yajvan
13 February 2008, 06:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

The following info, I got from another forum:

[/font]
Can anyone, especially Yajvan Ji write a few lines about his teachings and TM method? Om
I will be happy to, yet a better time to do this is Friday AM ( from a jyotish perspective) and will offer a few ideas for consideration.

praṇām

yajvan
15 February 2008, 11:45 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Namaste atanu, I will be happy to, yet a better time to do this is Friday AM ( from a jyotish perspective) and will offer a few ideas for consideration.

pranams,

I thought just to write a paragraph or two on Maharisi. I was close to his teachings for ~ 20 years. Maharsi was a jñānin, a dhīra – one who imparts his knowledge to others. What was that knowledge? All this is Brahman. He was gifted to teach the wisdom of the veda in simple terms to the ignorant. And for the ignorant to rejoice in that knowledge by understanding, at times, seemingly esoteric wisdom that was made simple.

Mahaṛṣi brought this vedic knowledge and worked with the bright minds in physics, biology, social sciences to show how this wisdom applied to their field of study, and then produce college level classes for people to understand how the wisdom of the veda was infused in all knowledge.

I could ( and did) listen to Mahaṛṣi for hours. He would talk for hours just on one sloka , such as the first sloka of the Rig Veda… The knowledge that came out from him was astounding – as he lived the level of Being that was offered and described in the Vedas.

Mahaṛṣi never deviated from the Veda-s as the core teaching, but would put it in today’s terms. He would say all of us should live 200% of life. The fullness of the Absolute (nirguna Brahman) and the relative field of life ( saguna Brahman). He mentioned that all humans can become exponents of Reality.

Mahaṛṣi's meditation techniques were simple and grounded in past jñānin’s wisdom. There was no need to make up anything new. He would often say, there is nothing new under the sun. His meditation offer was simple yet profound as it was based on one simple instruction from Krsna, be without the 3 gunas. There is only one way to do comply to this, and that is to transcend them, leave them in the relative field of existence, hence he chose to call the technique transcendental meditation.

He did many instructions himself but chose to create teachers of this approach – so he created training courses in which one was with Mahaṛṣi for 3 to 6 months daily, by tape, or in person, or by video; yet he was the teacher along with others (Scientists) that would review the physiological and psychological benefits – what was happening to the body and the mind.

What I admired most about Mahaṛṣi was he seldom talked about himself. All of the accolades and praṇām-s went to his Master svāmī brahmānanda sarasvatī , and the tradition that svāmī-ji followed...

I think I will stop for now, as I can ramble on for some time. I am in debt to Mahrisi-ji as he laid the ground work for my comprehension of the SELF. It is by his hand that I have been able to work with other teachers and continue my studies. For this I am blessed…Jai Guru Dev

Mahaṛṣi with other luminaries that gifted our world with their presence.

http://www.maharishiphotos.com/picsd3.jpg

praṇām

sarabhanga
16 February 2008, 05:13 AM
maheshaprasAda varmA was born in 1917, into the kshatriya varNa.

He studied physics and mathematics at Allahabad University.

He first met svAmI brahmAnanda sArasvatI at uttarakAshI, and after finishing his studies he undertook to serve svAmI brahmAnanda, who named him bAlabrahmacArI mahesha.

“I remember it took me about two and a half years to really adjust myself. Right from the beginning the whole purpose was to just breathe in his breath. This was my ideal. The whole purpose was just to attune myself with gurudeva, and that was all that I wanted to do.”

“And it took about two and a half years, and I thought two and a half years were wasted, but it came out to be quite early to adjust myself with his feelings. And the method that I adopted was just to sense what he wants at what time.”

“Just about two and a half years for my thoughts to be mainly flowing in tune with his ~ how much perfectly, there was no way to measure.”

brahmacArI mahesha took it upon himself to become svAmI brahmAnanda’s private secretary and dealt with the majority of his correspondence without recourse to his ‘gurudeva’.

In 1953, shaÑkarAcArya svAmI brahmAnanda sArasvatI breathed his last. And brahmacArI mahesha retired to uttarakAshI.

At shrI shaÑkarAcArya jñAna mandiram, he committed himself to prolonged spells of silence. And after spending many months in solitude, brahmacArI mahesha began thinking of travel.

On hearing of this desire for travel, an elderly nAgA told him: “This is holy ground. All the rest is just mud.” But the desire persisted.

Later, the nAgA suggested: “You have been thinking of it for so long. Why not get rid of this thought ~ and get rid of this thought means go there and come back and never think of it again.”

In 1955, after 18 months at uttarakAshI, brahmacArI mahesha left for rAmeshvaram.

The ‘Society for Spiritual Development’ engaged brahmacArI mahesha for a series of well attended lectures. And his new devotees dubbed him ‘mahaRSi bAlabrahmacArI mahesha yogI mahArAja’.

His message centered on the promise that saccidAnandam is accessible to all:

“Why suffer when you can enjoy? Why be miserable when you can be happy? Now, let the days of misery and peacelessness be over and let their operation become tales of the past. Allow not the past history of agony to be continued in the present. Be happy and gay.”

Thousands came to hear the mahaRSi’s message, and mass ‘initiations’ were not uncommon.

In 1958, the mahaRSi announced:

“The one aim of the Spiritual Regeneration Movement is to provide a simple and easy method of meditation and infuse this system of meditation in the daily life of everybody everywhere on earth. To meet this end, this Movement has been started to work for the construction of meditation centres everywhere in every part of human habitation.”

“Then I thought: I must go to the most advanced country, because the country is most advanced because the people of that country would try something new very readily.”

“When I met some people in the morning, I said: ‘I want to go to America’, and they said, ‘All right’.”

In 1958, he toured around Southeast Asia, then Hawaii, and on to America.

And by 1959 he was Director of Operations for the Spiritual Regeneration Movement.

yajvan
13 March 2008, 07:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

“I remember it took me about two and a half years to really adjust myself. Right from the beginning the whole purpose was to just breathe in his breath. This was my ideal. The whole purpose was just to attune myself with gurudeva, and that was all that I wanted to do.”

Mahaṛṣi talked much of this alignment over the years...the aligment of the student with the master. The benefits were the alignment with Brahman.

praṇām