PDA

View Full Version : What the blind dream of?

atanu
17 February 2008, 07:22 AM
Namaste All,

Can you take me Higher?
To a place where blind men see
Can you take me Higher?
To a place with golden streets

So lets go there, lets go there,
Come on, lets go there
Lets ask can we stay?

From Internet

Three careful sleep laboratory studies (Amadeo & Gomez, 1966; Berger, Olley, & Oswald, 1962; Kerr, Foulkes, & Schmidt, 1982) and at least one rigorous study of home dream reports (Hurovitz, Dunn, Domhoff, & Fiss, 1999) have shown that congenitally blind dreamers and those who became blind in infancy do not have visual imagery in their dreams, whereas those blinded in adolescence or young adulthood often retain visual mental imagery in their waking life and in their dreams.

There have been claims that the congenitally blind literally "see" in their dreams, which flies in the face of findings that were established in 3 careful previous studies. These claims that congenital blind literally see, arise through a blurring of the distinction between actual seeing through the visual system and imagery that preserves spatial and metric properties without specific reliance on the visual system.

The conclusion of the researchers pretty much bears
out the traditional thinking, although there were a couple of slight
surprises including two congenitally blind subjects reporting seeing
objects in their dreams. The researchers however concluded that this
was merely a metaphorical use of vision, especially as one of the
subjects said that she could tell silver objects were beautiful when
she touched them because the silver "felt pretty". Those of us with
sight would almost always ascribe the beauty of silver to its
appearance, yet evidently those who have no sight can still use the
same language terms in a different context.

In general, it appears that those who have been blind from birth or
very early childhood have just as vivid dreams as the rest of us.
However their dreams centre upon the non-visual senses: particularly
smell and sound, but also to a surprisingly large degree the sense of
touch. Whilst most of us usually view things before we feel them, the
blind often "see" with their fingertips and hence tactile dreaming is
not uncommon.

-------------------------------

So, where do the visual memory of the last incarnation go?

Or, does the Seer Rudro, whose function of seeing is immortal, does not see the external visual images that the external seer - mind and eyes see?

Om

Nuno Matos
17 February 2008, 07:33 AM
Namaste Atanu,

I have a friend that is blind since birth but when he press is eye balls he sees by is description a myriad of shining lights. In fact it was so recurrent the pressing behaviour that he end up developing skin and orbital problems.

atanu
17 February 2008, 11:00 PM
Namaste Atanu,
I have a friend that is blind since birth but when he press is eye balls he sees by is description a myriad of shining lights. In fact it was so recurrent the pressing behaviour that he end up developing skin and orbital problems.

Namaste Nuno,

Thank you for this very vital piece of knowledge. Since your friend is blind from birth and since he sees 'myriad of shining lights', it would indicate that the light is inherent in Self/self. If you are in contact with him, you can gently elicit some response as to whether he remembers dreams when he has seen light?

For the born blind, the form of an object can only be through other senses -- touch etc., but if unformed light is seen that would point to Lord's saying: Know Arjuna, this light is mine.

Thanks Nuno.

Om