PDA

View Full Version : Astrology In Mahabharata

soham3
22 February 2008, 09:51 PM
Dhritarashtra is told, " Saturn oppresses rohini, some evil is foreboded, O King ". And immediately after that, the war started where cousins killed one another. Rohini is one of the 27 nakshatras.

yajvan
17 March 2008, 09:29 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Dhritarashtra is told, " Saturn oppresses rohini, some evil is foreboded, O King ". And immediately after that, the war started where cousins killed one another. Rohini is one of the 27 nakshatras.

Namaste

For those that wish to read some of the omens and Jyotish graha positions, one can look to the Bishma Parva of the Mahabharata Section II, III.
Some Grahas are called out ( Sani, ketu, Mars, Sukra, RAhu ), a comet in Pusha, etc. Yet the Moon and Sun are both aflicting Rohini ( Called in Section III). And in Section II as soham3 points out, Sani is afflicting Rohini also. This can be from several positions ( 1st, 3rd, 7th, 10th positions).

I find it of great interest that Rahu is between Chitra and Swati . Why so? Because it suggests that ketu should be 180º therefrom, or between Aswini and Bharani. Yet Vyasa suggests in Section III that ketu is or has attacked Jeshtha ( which resides in Scorpio); The only way this can be accomplished is by Rasi Dristi and not Graha Dristi. That is, by a sign's aspect and not by a planet's aspect... Ketu has no head and therefore cannot not give dristi ( sight or aspect) to another, but this is therefore accomplished by rasi (sign) dristi to Scorpio. A most insightful observation by Vyasa ( son of Parashara-muni, the author of the great work of Parashara Hora Shastra).

Also here is another view for those interested in timings of the Mahabharata and its events:
http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/mahabharat/mahab_patnaik.html

Pandava Army = 7 Akshouhinis = 5,513,383,260
Kaurava Army= 11 Akshouhinis = 8,663,887,960
Total 18 Akshouhinis = 14,177,271,240

Bhishma killed nearly 1.27 Akshouhinis = 1,000,000,000
Drona killed nearly 1.00 Akshouhinis = 787,626,180
Karna killed nearly 2.37 Akshouhinis = 1,862,878,540
Salya killed nearly 0.29 Akshouhinis = 226,046,000

soham3
22 March 2008, 07:20 AM
(1) There is one book ' Vedic Numerology ' by Govind Vishnu Choudhary published by Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan. Author has calculated dates of death of about 40 persons starting from date of birth & horoscopes.

(2) One occultist told my date of birth and made my horoscope simply by seeing my palm.

yajvan
22 March 2008, 08:17 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

(1) There is one book ' Vedic Numerology ' by Govind Vishnu Choudhary published by Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan. Author has calculated dates of death of about 40 persons starting from date of birth & horoscopes.

(2) One occultist told my date of birth and made my horoscope simply by seeing my palm.

Namaste soham3

For calculating death there are many techniques - the one I think is most robust is found in Jaimini's Upadesaš Sutras - Chapt 2 pada 1. It is called the method of three pairs. As you would suspect the 8th lord is a key contributor as 8th house represents longivity ( or the lack there of) and Saturn is the natural kArAka of this house ( bhava). Now the key here is which house really is the 8th house?

Why do I say this ? Because one method of the 3 pairs involves knowing the 8th house from the lagna position and who the ruler is. If one's lagna is Aries , the 8th houe from it is Scorpio, and the same lord of the Lagna - that is Mars, being both lagna lord and 8th lord, and that just will not work. and So , what is then done is one takes the 8th lord from THAT position, Scorpio, and gets Gemini as the 8th lord - correcting the problem of having the 1st and 8th lords being the same lord.

This happens for a few signs and the correction is then done as mentioned above.

You mention

One occultist told my date of birth and made my horoscope simply by seeing my palm
Yes I have heard of this... also looking at ones forehead is another indicator, yet I have no idea of the technique employed other then developed intitution , which I would prefer as the best tool.

pranams,

1. Upadesa - Sanjay Rath looks at this word and suggests the following:
U represents Visnu as U also = helping , protecting, a particle implying promise to protect and in AUM, the U represents Visnu; pada we know to mean foot, or a ray or beam of light (considered as the foot of a heavenly body); and sam = union , thoroughness , intensity , completeness or to join together. So Jaimini tells the reader what his work will be about a complete work ,gaining light and insight at the feet of Visnu and gaining His blessing. And at the same time pays his repects ( at the feet of or pada of Visnu) by having Upadesa in his title of the book.

Radhika12
02 May 2011, 12:13 PM
There are so many thing can do in Jyotish Which we can't even imagine.In the past great astrologers use this powers.Now we only use small amount of that knowledge.