PDA

View Full Version : New Here

Emily
25 February 2008, 04:25 PM
Namaste!

I've been looking for a lively Hindu forum for some time, and it seems as though I've found one.

Perhaps this is a good place to introduce myself. I have always been a very spiritual person, and have had spontaneous moments of experiencing God directly (a feeling of unity) since I was a very young girl. My spiritual tendencies led me to explore a couple of different Western religious traditions (Christianity being one) to no avail. Though I tried whole-heartedly to be a Christian, most of the religion just didn't sit well with me, and my questions about God and reality were not adequately answered.

For the past few years, I have considered myself a 'wanderer', and I have tried to contemplate truths on my own, without any particular religious orientation guiding me or telling me what to believe. Over the years, I have come to many deep realizations and understanding on my own. Until recently, I thought that my collection of self-derived beliefs were unique, that there was no one religious tradition that taught what I believed. And so I was happy to simply have understanding and insight and I stopped looking for a religion to call myself.

No sooner did I cease looking for 'religion', it came to me! Prior to about 6 months ago, I knew almost nothing about Hinduism. However, we had to study it in one of my classes, and I was absolutely taken aback when I read about it. Here were all the things I believed in - a collection of beliefs I had thought were unique to me - here they were, all in Hinduism! So, for the last six months I've been ardently studying Sanatana Dharma, reading all the books and scriptures I can get my hands on. I've also been to the Hare Krishna Temple a couple of times, and I met with a very helpful Pandit at one of the local Hindu Temples who helped answer some of my questions and gave me some very good advice.

I would like to convert to Hinduism in time, as Hindu beliefs were my beliefs before I even knew it was so, but I feel that at this point, I have barely scratched the surface of Hindu scriptures and practices, and it would be premature for me to call myself a Hindu until I have a deeper understanding and firmer commitment.

In any case, I assume that many of you on this board are non-Indians as well. My biggest concerns regarding joining this path are cultural, in essence. For instance, I would love to go to the Maha Shivaratri Festival, however, I have never been to a Hindu festival, or even seen puja done! I am too scared to go, worried that I will be unintentionally disrespectful, or that I'll stick out like an unwelcomed sore thumb and everyone will be wondering "Why is she here?!" To add to this, there is a also a language barrier. I sometimes wonder how Westerners ever truly integrate into the Hindu community.

If you have converted, have you done so formally or informally, and what did it entail, exactly? What have your experiences so far been like? Is it necessary to learn Sanskrit to really study scriptures? And for those of who are active in a local temple, were the people there generally accepting of you or other newcomers?

Thank you all for enduring my long post, and thank you for any comments or advice you have for me!

devotee
26 February 2008, 02:40 AM
Namaste Emily,

Welcome to the forum ! :)

You have not told what your beliefs are, so I am not able to say much at this stage.

Hinduism is not really an "-ism". It is sanatan ( since time immorial) way of spirituality. The spiritual need of every person is different ... sometimes contradicting ... but the goal is same. There are various paths within Hinduism to suit different types of people.

I suggest you to go through threads already posted, post your views & ask questions which will certainly help you in your path.

As far as going to temples & attending Mahashivratri is concerned, you can always visit the local temples. They should not mind unless they feel you are showing disrespect to their diety or the beliefs ... normally they should be more tolerant to Non-Hindus for obvious reasons.

OM

Emily
26 February 2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you for your welcoming!

I think will visit various threads, and post particular questions where appropriate.

Yes, I am still trying to sort out where my beliefs fit in the 'tree' of Sanatana Dharma. At this point, I am leaning toward Saivism, however, which sect of Saivism I don't know. I am still very new to Sanatana Dharma, which is why I am not in a rush to define myself as anything yet.

I have visited temples several times now, but never while anything was really going on. I would like to visit a festival mainly to watch how things are done, but I am worried I will be expected to participate, and I will have no idea what to do and feel like a fool! I have absolutely no idea what happens at Hindu religious events (if there are things I'm supposed to bring, wear, say, etc.). But you are right, and people will probably be helpful towards me and tell me anything I need to know. Perhaps I will go.

devotee
27 February 2008, 01:20 AM
I have absolutely no idea what happens at Hindu religious events (if there are things I'm supposed to bring, wear, say, etc.).

Namaste Emily,

Normally every temple has a priest who will guide you if you need. Otherwise, there is nothing to worry. You can go to the temple & just bow to the diety, sit down for a while (if you so wish) & pray in whatever manner you feel comfortable. Worshipping is basically from your heart & your feelings towards God is what matters. Other things like your clothes, offerings, language are secondary. However, if not too inconvenient to you, you may take care of the following :

i) It is always better to dress decently so as not to attract unnecessary attention. If you can wear saree or salwar-kameez then nothing like that.
ii) It is better to cover your head as a mark of respect to the diety & the place of worship.
iii) Shoes/sandals are NOT allowed inside the shrine for the sake of cleanliness & respect to the diety. Normally, there will be a place to take off your shoes outside the shrine.
iv) If you want to worship the diety, you may take flowers, sweets/ fruit as offfering. Lord Shiva loves Bael (Aegle Marmelos) leaves, if you can get them.
v) Have love for God ... surrender to Him ... He loves you no matter how you are dressed, what you offer, what you chant, how you worship. Nothing counts more than your devotion. Lord Shiva is known for being extra gracious to his devotees.

OM

Eastern Mind
27 February 2008, 06:33 AM
Emily: Yours is a relatively common question here. I am a western adoptive, and I would venture to say I am 'truly integrated' but it took some time. Perhaps if you tell us where you live someone here can take you for the first time. I think its better with a guide so to speak. I live in Edmonton, Canada, and have guided quite a few people on their first visit, either spontaneously, or by appointment. If you called your local temple firstly, and expressed your interests, I'm sure a host would show up. God's way. If you live anywhere near here, well, send me a PM and we can arrange something. Aum Namasivaya.

Emily
28 February 2008, 05:02 PM
I live in San Diego, California. I'm actually very blessed, as we have a thriving Hindu community here with three separate temples and a Vedanta center. It would probably be unwise to not take advantage of it.

Thank you all for your words of kindness and encouragement. I am a very shy individual, so it's often difficult for me to put myself in novel situations with people I don't know, but I have to start somewhere! I have decided to go to the festival (and fast during that day, as I believe is the traditional thing to do for Maha Shivaratri) to worship Lord Shiva. Hopefully it will be bring me closer to Lord Shiva and also help me take my first steps towards joining the local Hindu community.

On a bit of a side note, I have ordered Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's series on Lord Shiva, and also his book on how to become a Hindu. Interestingly enough, his book starts out with stories from devotees who have converted to Hinduism, and the first is about a man who became a Saivite through a local Mandir here in San Diego! It is encouraging to know that others have gone through this process and been accepted by the same exact community that I am trying to be a part of.

Nuno Matos
29 February 2008, 01:34 PM
Hello Emily,

My name is Nuno. Welcome to Hdf!

TatTvamAsi
06 March 2008, 02:54 AM
I live in San Diego, California. I'm actually very blessed, as we have a thriving Hindu community here with three separate temples and a Vedanta center. It would probably be unwise to not take advantage of it.

Thank you all for your words of kindness and encouragement. I am a very shy individual, so it's often difficult for me to put myself in novel situations with people I don't know, but I have to start somewhere! I have decided to go to the festival (and fast during that day, as I believe is the traditional thing to do for Maha Shivaratri) to worship Lord Shiva. Hopefully it will be bring me closer to Lord Shiva and also help me take my first steps towards joining the local Hindu community.

On a bit of a side note, I have ordered Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's series on Lord Shiva, and also his book on how to become a Hindu. Interestingly enough, his book starts out with stories from devotees who have converted to Hinduism, and the first is about a man who became a Saivite through a local Mandir here in San Diego! It is encouraging to know that others have gone through this process and been accepted by the same exact community that I am trying to be a part of.

Hello Emily,

It is great to hear that you have genuine interest in Sanathana Dharma. However, to put it politely, nobody can ever 'convert' to Hinduism the way one converts to any of the Abrahamic religions. This is primarily because "Hinduism" is a way of life. It will have to be a lifestyle change for you and it depends on how far you want to take it. What I mean by that is if you are ardent in pursuing some form of yoga, especially Raja Yoga (i.e.TM) and the like, vegetarianism is a must (IMO) and abstinence from any sort of intoxicants are definitely stressed.

There is a fundamental dichotomy as to whether one is a practicing Hindu or a Hindu by belief. I'm afraid the majority of the Hindus in the world are of the latter. Nonetheless, read, read, and read about Sanathana Dharma and form your own conclusions from your interpretations of the texts. That is the real freedom that Hinduism allows!

Once you've formed your conclusions, you will roughly know at what level you are spiritually. If you're keen on attending festivals, pujas, and bhajans, then do so by all means by following the proper etiquette (dress, hygiene etc.).

Whatever path you choose, good luck and wish you all the best!

Subham.

Mouse
06 March 2008, 07:52 AM

Welcome, Emily! I am also relatively new here (mostly lurking and reading) and to Sanatana Dharma. You're so lucky to live somewhere that there is a strong Hindu community!