PDA

View Full Version : Saiva Scriptures?

Emily
28 February 2008, 05:55 PM
Namaste!

I am very new to these forums, but so far you all seem like a kind, helpful and knowledgeable bunch. I would like to introduce myself, and ask a couple of questions.

I am a 21 year-old college student, studying psychology. About six months ago, I learned about Hindu beliefs really for the first time and realized that they were the same as my own (general concepts such as karma, reincarnation, maya, moksha, one god or absolute reality that manifests in different ways, the idea that truth is one, but the paths to get there are many, etc). As soon as I discovered this, I knew I had to explore further - I thought the best way to do that was to read scriptures.

The first time I ever read a Hindu scripture - the Isa Upanishad - I was so overcome with peace and bliss that I wept uncontrollably, and couldn't even finish the reading! I still weep regularly (out of joy!) when reading scriptures. I feel like I have found the path I've been searching for my whole life.

I can't explain exactly why, but I am called towards Lord Siva, and I know that Saivism is the path for me. When I think of God and reality, Nataraja automatically comes to my mind. Lord Siva's dance is the most profound and beautiful explanation for the universe and God's role in it that I could ever imagine. Contemplating Lord Siva's dance brings me peace, calmness and closeness to God that I have never known.

I have read the principal Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita and the Uddhava Gita - I love them all dearly, read them daily, and take at least one with me wherever I go. However, I have not read any Saiva scriptures. I am still not sure which sect of Saivism I will adopt as my own, but I am leaning toward Saiva Siddhanta. I have ordered Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's series on Lord Siva and his book on how to convert to Hinduism. Hopefully, these will help me understand Saivism more deeply. I would like to know what scriptures are important to Saiva Siddhanta, and more importantly, where can I get copies in English (for instance, I have had no luck finding Siva Sutras in English).

Also, as far as philosophy goes, I find that Vishishtadvaita makes the most sense to me - is this idea compatible with Saiva Siddhanta?

Thank you!

Aum Namah Sivaya

sarabhanga
28 February 2008, 06:20 PM
I have read the principal Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita and the Uddhava Gita - I love them all dearly, read them daily, and take at least one with me wherever I go. However, I have not read any Saiva scriptures.

Also, as far as philosophy goes, I find that Vishishtadvaita makes the most sense to me - is this idea compatible with Saiva Siddhanta?

Namaste Emily,

The Upanishads and the Gita are fine Shaiva scriptures. And Vishishtadvaita and Shaiva Siddhanta should be compatible. :)

Agnideva
28 February 2008, 09:32 PM
Namaste Emily,

Welcome to HDF :)

I can't explain exactly why, but I am called towards Lord Siva, and I know that Saivism is the path for me. When I think of God and reality, Nataraja automatically comes to my mind. Lord Siva's dance is the most profound and beautiful explanation for the universe and God's role in it that I could ever imagine. Contemplating Lord Siva's dance brings me peace, calmness and closeness to God that I have never known.
To know that all of existence is the Dance of Siva is the most beautiful and profound teaching. Nataraja, it is said, dances in the hall of Chidambaram. This becomes even more beautiful when one realizes that Chidambaram is not a physical location, but truly means the endless space of consciousness.

I have read the principal Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita and the Uddhava Gita - I love them all dearly, read them daily, and take at least one with me wherever I go. However, I have not read any Saiva scriptures. I am still not sure which sect of Saivism I will adopt as my own, but I am leaning toward Saiva Siddhanta. I have ordered Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's series on Lord Siva and his book on how to convert to Hinduism. Hopefully, these will help me understand Saivism more deeply. I would like to know what scriptures are important to Saiva Siddhanta, and more importantly, where can I get copies in English (for instance, I have had no luck finding Siva Sutras in English).The foundational text of Saiva Siddhanta is the Tirumantiram written by the Siddha Tirumular. You can find an online copy here (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/tirumantiram/TableOfContents.html) (I think this is only one English translation of this book). The foundational text of Trika (Kashmir) Saivism is the Siva Sutras written by the Siddha Vasugupta. You can find an online copy here (http://www.universalshaivafellowship.org/usf/teachings_02.html). Both are based on Saiva Agamas. I have both books, which I ordered online. If you are unable to find them, pm me and I can give you the site from where I ordered them.

Please note that as far as Saiva Siddhanta goes, there are two schools. Saiva Siddhanta as taught by Sivaya Subramuniyaswami is monistic-theistic (Advaita Ishvaravada) and comes from the line of Natha-Siddhas. The other better-known school of Saiva Siddhanta (Meykandar Sampradaya) follows pluralism. Almost everything you find about Saiva Siddhanta philosophy that does not come from the Kauai Adheenam will be from the second school.

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Arjuna
28 April 2008, 04:16 PM
The foundational text of Saiva Siddhanta is the Tirumantiram written by the Siddha Tirumular.

Tirumantiram is not the foundational text, Saiva-siddhanta is originally based on 28 Siddhanta-Agamas. I am not aware of any english translations of them though – apart from Chandrajnanagama, which i think i have seen in english.
However yes, Tirumantiram can be taken as a summary of South Indian Siddhanta (initially Siddhanta was Northern tradition, but it didn't survive there).

bhargavsai
30 April 2008, 02:16 AM
Hello,
I am a Shaiva(not by birth, but have been devoted to Shiva)

When I ask what is the difference between Shiava and Vaishnavas, My father says to me "One who applies ash vertically is Vaishnava on forehead, and one who applies the ash horizontally is a Shaiva". and there is no difference at all.

In India we have many scriptures like Shiva Purana, Kalahasti Shatakam etc. Actually Siva Purana contains much information.

I think you can find many books online:
http://www.celextel.org

As for compatibility of Shaiva and Vishistadvaita, they both are compatible.

thamiZH_sivan
08 September 2012, 11:46 PM
vâNŕkkŕm Emily. I'm a student of saivŕ sithaandhŕm. The work which we hold above all is the sivŕnyaanŕ bohdhŕm -- many say the author, meykkâNDŕ sivŕm merely gave the rowrŕvŕ aagŕmaa in Tamil; meykkâNDaar was only 2 when He wrote the sivŕnyaanŕ bohdhŕm and there is no record of His undertaking any studies before He wrote. sivŕnyaanŕ bohdhŕm clarifies the Devotional Tamil saivŕ thirumuRaygŕL and the General, thirukkuRŕL, which is considered the vehdhaa of the Tamil saivŕr. At the same time, it also clarifies the Sanskrit sivaagŕmaas, which clarifies the Sanskrit vehdhaas -- saivŕ sithaandhŕm will not agree with and accept just everything in the but, completely accepts the sivaagŕmaas. All the sithaandhŕ Philosophical works are from the same lineage (kâyilaayŕm pârŕmbâray) and will thus not clash with each other -- the is only one True interpretation of sithaandhŕm, and the authority on this is the sivŕnyaanŕ bohdhŕm; if you look at a Form of thenmugŕ kâDŕvuL/dhâkshŕnŕ moorthi, you'll see the first four Soul-Gurus of saivŕ sithaandhŕm and, the First and Foremost Guru, sivŕperumaan, holding the Sacred sivŕnyaanŕ bohdhŕm in His Hand. The first work on sithaandhŕm to be given on earth is the thirumândhirŕm by thirumoolŕ naayŕnaar, Who is a Student of the Primary Student of sivŕperumaan, thirú nândhi dhehvŕr -- He is not the same nândhi which Kashmir saivŕm speaks of. nândhiyaar's Senior-most Student is thirú sânŕTkumaarŕ munivŕr, Who is responsible for the Sanskrit sivaagŕmaa lineage. sânŕTkumaarŕ munivŕr's Senior-most Student is thirú sâthiyŕnyaanŕ dhârisâni, Who Senior-most Student is thirú pârŕnjohdhi munivŕr. It is pârŕnjohdhi Who, whilst flying over thiruveNNaynâlloor was stopped to impart this sivŕnyaanŕm to thirú suvehdhŕvânnŕ perumaaL, who, by 1242, latest, wrote the 12 sentences known as the sivŕnyaanŕ bohdhŕm and It commentary. There are 11 secondary works to explain these 12 sentences and many tertiary works to explain these. saivŕ sithaandhŕm is known as suthâdwaita which is worlds apart from visitaswaita. Many, without study, like Ramana Maharishi, classify sithaandhŕm as visistadwaita and dwaita, which is complete false. meykkaaNDaar explains that saivŕ sithaandhŕm only gives the True interpretation of âthividhŕm/adwaita, which is non-dual. Visistadwaita is qualified-monoism.

Eastern Mind
10 September 2012, 11:53 AM
Vannakkam sivan: Please note the dates of earlier posts. The thread you are responding to is now 4 years old, so it is unlikely you will get a response. Welcome to these forums, by the way.

Aum Namasivaya

thamiZH_sivan
10 September 2012, 09:56 PM
nânDRi Eastern. It's okay. Four years is a mere droplet in the number of millenia we've spent trying to understand and arrive at the Truth. Whoever gets it, or don't, is all in the Hands of sivŕperumaan. Thanks for the heads-up though. nâmŕchivaayŕ vaa_âZHgŕ