PDA

View Full Version : newbie

unacceptable
14 May 2006, 06:58 AM
hello,
My name is amy and im 15,
Im currently a wiccan but my beliefs spread over many religions.
To tell the truth i dont know what i believe any more!

I remember learning about hindu's in school and always being really interested - but people telling me its an 'asian' thing and i cant be hindu because im white/english.
now i know different and im here to learn more!

Singhi Kaya
14 May 2006, 07:38 AM
welcome,

my humble suggestion on truth would be keep your mind and rationality open and stay away or beware from supremacist groups (mostly they are abrahamic extremists, but there can be others as well)~things will be fine

White/english can certainly be hindu~there are quite a few in this forum. hinduism is however more a cultural identity for indians. Outside India and indians sanatan dhrama is the better word. I'm not sure if traditional smriti allows outsiders into varna hindu society~but that should hardly be a concern since you will probably not want to be a member of the indian hindu population. for a westerner appeal of sanatana dharma is philosohical and spiritual. It is not supposed to replace western way of life but enhance it:)

unacceptable
14 May 2006, 09:01 AM
thanks for the reply.
Where do you think will be the best start to learn about hinduism?

Singhi Kaya
14 May 2006, 10:26 AM
I'll leave that to more knowledgable members of the forum except a couple of openions.

If you like thinking starting with philosophical aspects of the dharma is better. And in general start at any place and then seek to answer the doubts and questions of what you just learned. This is what works for me.

Bhakti Yoga Seeker
14 May 2006, 07:32 PM
hello,
My name is amy and im 15,
Im currently a wiccan but my beliefs spread over many religions.
To tell the truth i dont know what i believe any more!

I remember learning about hindu's in school and always being really interested - but people telling me its an 'asian' thing and i cant be hindu because im white/english.
now i know different and im here to learn more!

Namaste. Wicca is interesting. I hope you find this forum valuable. Most Hindus should accept you even if you are not Indian. Nepal has a Hindu majority so obviously Hinduism has spread outside of just India. There are plenty of Westerners following Hinduism. You should find plenty of acceptance in terms of Hindu religion and spirituality. You may not fit in well with Hindu culture, however. Let me know if you have any questions. ~BYS~

Ablaze
14 May 2006, 08:31 PM
thanks for the reply.
Where do you think will be the best start to learn about hinduism?

You can learn a lot about the different sects and beliefs just by reading this forum. :p

There are some knowledgable posters here who I'm sure would be happy to answer your questions about Hinduism.

c.smith
15 May 2006, 02:20 PM
"Am I a Hindu" by Ed Vishwanathan was suggested to me by a member on another board. You can search the book through amazon to see if you're ineterested. There are a few of us here just learning - welcome!

Devibhakta
18 May 2006, 11:36 AM
Namaste and welcome unacceptable,
that book is really great, it touches on a lot of issues without being over technical. It's in a Q&A style. I recommend it too.
Devibhakta