PDA

View Full Version : A Recent Trip And Muhurta

yajvan
14 March 2008, 07:06 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
During a recent trip I applied the principles of Muhurta to the journey for both going and returning home. Some of my thoughts are below.
If anyone wishes to discuss their apporaches , perhaps we can share some ideas.

One key principle I applied was that of kartari - that is the influence of Rahu ( the mischief maker and natural obstructor) in travel. I will review the rule below.

Our travel was on-time and uneventful. Other companions that met us in India also used muhurta principles, yet was unaware of this one technique. Their travel was interrupted, lost luggage, illness, all that kind of stuff.

So here's just the thought process I applied.

We pick the day of the week that is favorable. The day is trumped by the tithi. As we have talk about before each day has a certain quality to it i.e. aggressive, gentle, mixed, dynamic; as does tithis have certain qualities( nanda, bhadra, jaya, etc).
Tithi is trumped by Nakshastra. Nakshatras are classified as fixed, movable, friendly, bitter, etc. Nakshastra is trumped by a favorable Lagna position for starting the trip.
In each case I was constantly looking for favorable yogas ( siddhi yoga, amrita yoga, or ravi yoga) to assist.
Also Jupiter and/or Venus well placed is also a boon. As Jupiter is in the natural 9th house of Sagittarius , the trip was also built around this notion.
I also stayed away from traveling during the lunar eclipse that occurred in February. IMHO I think this added the grief factor to the other companions traveling and not considered in their muhurta .Note there are 4 best Nakshatras for travel;Hasta ( in Virgo) - this one did not work for this journey.
Then we have Mrigashira nakshatra ( In Taurus, the place where Moon is exalted and Moolatrikona rasi). This one was possible for the trip. Next is Pusha and that did not work, as the tithi ( or yoga/angle° of Moon-Sun) is unfavorable for travel…last is Shravana and that too is too late in the month, like Hasta.

So with that in mind, here is what I applied for the times to travel, get there on time, beat the eclipse and take advantage of the Nakshatras of the moon:
1. Sunday Night ( Monday Morning ~ 1 AM) - Moon is in Purnavasu

This is a beneficial Nakshatra for travel ( there are 9 of them) ; its owned by Jupiter and Jupiter is aspecting Moon from Sagittarius.
Travel was during the 2nd part of the night ( 12 hr./ 3 = 4 hrs per segment)… this is ok for Purnavasu as long as plane lift off in the 2nd part ( this was accomplished); This is another 'rule' on what segment of time you are traveling in and is calculated by dividing the day or night dividing into 3rds.2. Friday day Night [Saturday morning ~ 1 AM] Moon is in Mrigashira Nakshatra and is beneficial for travel.

This Nakshatra position starts Friday at 11:45 AM and lasts till Saturday 9:45 AM.
FYI - The next Nakshatra that follows Mrigashira nakshatra is Ardra is to be avoided for travel.What was not considered is the direction ( Dik Shoola) - will we go West from California or go East cross country? Then more rules, but after a while you just work with the best you can… Nakshatra, tithi, lagna,etc.

Since we are ultimately going East from a longitude perspective , Sunday is owned by Surya and owns east direction, temples ( with Jupiter), etc. My goal is to stay away from the influences of Rahu e.g. Mrita Paksha and both the recommendations above fit the bill.

Katari
The little known rule is 13 Nakshatras that Rahu will travel into are unfavorable for the moon to start the journey. So, I met this guideline with the above recommendations shown.
Here is how this works:
Katari is the name given to the position of Rahu at any given time.
Jiva paksha is the nakshatras already traversed by Rahu.
Mrita paksha are the nakshatras to be traversed by Rahu.
The 15th nakshatra from kartari is called grasta.
Now, what is the general rule? For a journey the moon ( Soma or Chandra) should not reside in Mrita paksha; also the katari and grasta postions are to be avoided.

Using these guidelines the flight times available were chosen. The flight and trip went well. The return trip also was easy. It was on-time and we made up 7 hrs. of flight time with a strong tail wind and arrived early. We also were 'upgraded' to the next level of seating without asking. It just happened.

Last I take no credit for the success of the travel as I just applied the rules that were available to me from the respected Jyotisha's of the tradition... it is their wisdom I have borrowed.

There are 3 methods we may learn wisdom. First by reflection which is the noblest; Second by imitation which is the easiest, and third by experience which is the bitterest... Confucius (Kǒng Qiū) 551 BCE – 479 BCE

pranams