PDA

View Full Version : Kindly help and guide me

nagukush
15 March 2008, 01:33 AM
Dear Sirs,

I hope everything is well !

My name is Bimal Narula and I'm from Erode (Tamil Nadu)

I'm a Shiv Bhakt and I go to a Shiv Temple everyday and do pooje there, for the last 20 years. Actually I'm performing Shodasho Upchar for the whole Shiv family with proper Shiv Mantras (Rudrabhishekam etc), which is located under a tree, inside the temple. I do the pooja along with a group of people.

Just wanted to get some guidance from you and it will be a great help if you can kindly advice a little regarding this-

My Grandson is about to be born next month and as per our Family tradition, I've been told by the elders that one can not go to the temple for 16 days after a child is born in the family.

As I've been going to the temple for the last so many years, I really dont want to miss the daily pooja at the temple for so many days. I just wanted to request you to kindly let me know if its ok if go to the temple or what should I do in this case?

Kindly advice.
Thanks and Regards
Bimal Narula

Hiwaunis
19 April 2008, 09:47 PM
Om Shanti,
My goodness, at first glance this seems a little harsh! May I ask what does the new baby have to do with the reason for prohibiting temple visits? Why 16 days? One would think that a new member in the family would warrant several temple visits. I am curious to know the answers.

I would also like to know what action you took.

Om Shanti,
Hiwaunis

Srirudra
02 October 2012, 10:03 AM
As per Dharma Shastram, there is something called Soucham and Asoucham, to give a simple example, a women who is mensurating is made to sit in a seperate room for the 3 days she has the periods, she cannot cook, she cannot perform pooja etc. This state is called Asoucham as per Vedic religion, in other words it means "impure". After the 3 days periods are over then she can enter to house starting cooking doing pooja etc. Then she becomes pure or "Soucham". Similarly as per vedic dharma a birth of a child leads to lot of bleeding etc for the mother therefore she is in Asoucham state for a period of 40 days during which she cannot do anything inside the house expect to take care of the baby. This Asoucham is applicable to the husband, father, mother, father-in-law, mother-in-law for a period of 10 -16 days depending on the caste etc. So till this impure state doesn't get over we cannot go to temple, if we go it means we pollute the temple with our impurity from our house.

Hope this solves your query.

Namaskar

Sri Rudra

Believer
04 October 2012, 11:14 PM
Namaste,

Three posts, three observations:

1st post : The poster lists his age as 29 and says he is going to be a grandfather soon?
2nd post: An overly dramatized feeling of disbelief, instead of finding the reason for a religious/cultural injunction.
3rd post: Sensible reasoning for what might seem like an oddity.

Pranam.

PS, Oooooops..... this thread is over 4 years old. Somebody did lot of digging to answer it now.