PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the name Śambhu

srivijaya
17 March 2008, 07:38 AM
There are many names for Siva but one, I have only ever encountered in the Śivamānasapūjā, is Śambhu. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the particular significance of this name.

namaste

Agnideva
18 March 2008, 10:51 AM
Namaste Srivijaya,

I have very limited understanding of etymology of terms and such, but from what I could find in the dictionary:

Śambhu comes from Śam (happily, auspiciously) + Bhu (being, existing). So Śambhu means: “being or existing for happiness or welfare, granting or causing happiness, beneficent, benevolent, helpful, kind.” (Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon)

And the term Śāmbhava (as in Śāmbhava-upāya) means related to or belonging to Śambhu.

Śambhu and Śambhunātha are names commonly used to refer to Lord Śiva, often in a tripartite name Śiva-Śankara-Śambhu.

Om Śambhave Namah.

srivijaya
19 March 2008, 07:29 AM
Namaste Srivijaya,

I have very limited understanding of etymology of terms and such, but from what I could find in the dictionary:

Śambhu comes from Śam (happily, auspiciously) + Bhu (being, existing). So Śambhu means: “being or existing for happiness or welfare, granting or causing happiness, beneficent, benevolent, helpful, kind.” (Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon)

And the term Śāmbhava (as in Śāmbhava-upāya) means related to or belonging to Śambhu.

Śambhu and Śambhunātha are names commonly used to refer to Lord Śiva, often in a tripartite name Śiva-Śankara-Śambhu.

Om Śambhave Namah.

Hi Agnideva,
Thanks for that. It's interesting the the name is linked to "Śāmbhava". This is a word I know, as it forms part of the name of my yidam and in that context it is said to mean 'great bliss'.

namaste

devotee
19 March 2008, 08:39 AM
There are many names for Siva but one, I have only ever encountered in the Śivamānasapūjā, is Śambhu. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the particular significance of this name.

namaste

Namaste srivijaya,

"Sambhu", imo, is actaully "Swayambhu". "Swayambhu" = Swayam + bhu ==> who came into being on his own.

Om