PDA

View Full Version : Visnu found in Pujas

yajvan
17 March 2008, 05:08 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
Ofen when performing puja we invoke the names of visNu during the initial part of the puja, or Acamanam, for purifing one spiritually. This thought is stimulated from Ganesa's Puja. I thought to list out the names of visNu below along with my understanding.

Please feel free to add names or extend the meanings as you are inspired. This is a joy-filled post and offered as such - not so much as a debating point :).

What I find of interest… Krsna’s name nor Sri Ram’s name is not called out directly during Acamanam, yet Krsna is known by most the names below. All the names below are found in the vishNu-sahasra-nAma or 1000 names of visNu. This is found in the Mahabharata, Anushasana Parva.

Here is the list below with a description of the name, a story or two to make the reading enjoyable ( I hope). For me this connection truly brings out the wisdom of the mahavakyas - All This is indeed Brahman. Before we repeat the 12 names we do achamananam or inner purification with sipping water 3 times. With this we recognize the following:

Acyutah or achyuta - means one who is infallible, and is another name of Visnu. According to Shankara, Acyutah means One who will never lose His inherent nature and powers i.e. one who is infallible.
Anantaya or ananta- is made up of 'a' or not + 'anta' or end. So anantya is 'endless' without out end, or Infinite. Another name of Visnu as He rests on Ananta Shesha the Infinite Serpent.
Govinda - we will see the name/origin below as one of the 12 names called out.

The 12 names
· Kesava or keSava - 'beautiful haired' -Krishna has been called Kesava; ka= brahma + a = visnu + isa = siva. Or He that controls Brahma + Visnu + Siva. As Krsna is considered the Universal SELF , all that is.

· Narayana or nArAyaNa- nara = humanity + ayana = path of going. So narayana is the path that all humanity is going to i.e. the Divine. Another view is Nara or नारis eternal Spirit pervading the universe; Nara is also water + ayana or moving - He who then moves or lies upon the ocean of water (that is, consciousness) - and this is Visnu.

Sarabhanga offers great insights into nara and nArAyaNa -if there more interest with these names please consider search HDF on these words and the author (sarabhanga).

Also nara is son of the primeval man ; both nara and Narayana are considered either as devata or sages. And who are they? Arjuna and Krsna are Nara and Narayana. Who says? Mahabharata...Arjunabhigamana Parva of the Mahabharata - "Arjuna, having addressed Krishna thus, the illustrious Pandava, who was the soul of Krishna, became dumb, when Janardana (Krsna) saying, 'Thou art mine and I am thine, while all that is mine is thine also! He that hateth thee hateth me as well, and he that followeth thee followeth me! O thou irrepressible one, thou art Nara and I am Narayana! We are the Rishis Nara and Narayana born in the world of men for a special purpose. O Partha, thou art from me and I am from thee! O bull of the Bharata race, no one can understand the difference that is between us!"

· Madhava or mAdhava- another name given to Krsna . Madhu is all sweet , delicious , pleasant , charming , delightful - also known as honey and/or the juice or nectar of flowers and 'va' which is considered auspiciousness , reverence, also strong , powerful.

· Govinda - Another name for Krsna. Go (some write gau) = cows + inda = master. We know Krsna as Govinda as the master ( herder) of the cows. Another view is go or a singer , praiser + vid = knowledge . So the singer or prasier of knowledge e.g. the knower/singer of the Vedas. Last one can look at it this way: Go can refer to cows or ones senses + vinda means protector. So Govinda means Krsna who is the protector of the cows, the land, and/or one's senses. Note Govinda is said twice in the Visnu sahasranama and is said twice here, once in achamananam and once now.

·Visno (as called out in the puja this way)- is visnu or viSNu = all pervading some say all pervader; Visnu is connected to Krsna as we already know.

Madhusudana - He who defeated the demon Madhu. Arjuna addresses Krsna as Madhusudana multiple times in the Bhagavad Gita. Please see the following posts and comments here and sarabhanga’s offering: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21515&postcount=6 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21515&postcount=6)

· Trivikrama - Lord Vishnu who as Vamana, or dwarf, conquered three worlds and is addressed asTrivikrama, conqueror of three worlds.

· Vamana - Vishnu as the dwarf. Here is the short story of 3 strides. Mahabali was a demon. When Mahabali was performing a yajna on the bank of Narmada, Vamana, disguised as a hermit boy, reached him and prayed him to grant him a small piece of land measuring just three strides. Three strides of a dwarf meant nothing. Mahabali insisted him to take more but Vamana declined.

The prayer was granted. Mahabali's teacher Sukracharya (this is also Venus) thought foul-play in Vamana's demand and warned Mahabali against it but he did not take note of it. Vamana lifted his right leg and with it began expanding his form to cosmic magnification. In one stride Vamana covered the earth; in the second, heaven; and for the third, he asked Mahabali where to put it and finding no place put it on Mahabali's head and pushed him into the netherworld, his true abode. Mahabali's subjects grived and asked Vishnu to bring . Mahabali back. Vamana partly granted the prayer. Mahabali would ascend the earth once a year for a good harvest and people would celebrate the occasion in full festivity.

· Sridhara or SriIdhara - the maintainer of the goddess of fortune. Sri + dhara. Sri is Lakshmi (Sri Devi) and dhara is holding , bearing , carrying , wearing , possessing , having , keeping , sustaining , preserving , observing. So this is the devata that holds and maintains Lakshmi , and that is visNu.

· Hrishikeshaya or hRshIkeSa - controller or director of the senses. Hrsikesa means hrsika + isa. Hrsika means the senses, and isa, the master or lord i.e. another name of Krsna. It is interesting to note that हृषि or hRSi is joy , satisfaction + kesa - or rooted keshava from the above 1st definition offered. Yet hrI is ह्रीto blush , be bashful or modest. So it is He that makes the senses modest, or under control.

Padmanabha or padmanAbha -another name of Visnu, as we this name too is in the Visnu sahasranama. Shankara says Padmanabah means He in whose navel (nabhi), the lotus, (padma), the source of the universe stands, or One who whose navel is beautifully shaped like the lotus or one who shines in the middle or the heart-lotus of all. In still another meaning the name means One who resides in the central part of the heart-lotus.
Damodara or dAmodara - दामोदर means having a rope around the waist. This again is another name of Krsna. How do we get this name? The story goes something like this: As a child he would often steal the ghee . Once, after breaking the ghee crock and feeding the butter to the monkeys, his mother, Yasoda, took some rope and tied him up to keep him out of mischief, thus he was called Damodara, bound by ropes of love. Now a bit more esoteric - we know dAma means rope. And Krsna's stomach (udara) was bound by the rope affectionately tied round his waist by mother. dAma also means abode; the abode of the whole universe is His stomach i.e. Krsna's Universal form and the reason Ganesa is seen with the big belly - He holds the entire universe in His abode/udara.

May only good come from this post and we all become become GudAkeSa. Krsna addresses Arjuna as such. This GudAkeSa means one who has conquered sleep. Sleep is another way of saying 'ignorance' or one that is not yet possessed fully of the SELF, enlightenment.

http://www.sanatansociety.com/beeld/Paintings/Pieter_Weltevrede/Gods_and_goddesses/pw_gg_vishnu_lakshmi_massage_01_200.gif (http://www.sanatansociety.com/indian_art_galleries/pieter_weltevrede/pw_gg_vishnu_lakshmi_massage_01_painting.htm)

pranams

yajvan
18 March 2008, 01:51 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
Thought to add dhyAnam:

shuklaambaradharaM vishhNuM shashivarNaM chaturbhujam |
prasannavadanaM dhyaayet sarva vighnopa.shaantaye

The meaning as I have been taught:
suklambaradharam -Him who wears white dresses
vishnum - VisNu
Sasivarnam -White coloured
Chaturbhujam -having four hands
Prasannavadanam -Having pleasant face,
dyaayet - may [one] pray
Sarvavighnopasantaye - for removal of all obstructions

Another simular view
Suklambaradharam - He /Him who wears white dresses ( or Vishnum),
Sasivarnam (White coloured),
Chaturbhujam (having four hands),
Prasannavadanam (Having pleasant face),
Dyayet - may [one] pray
Sarvavighnopasantaye - for removal of all obstructions.
"Suklambara dharam" - "one who wears white clothes".
Prasanna vadanam - "one who has a peaceful, happy and contented face".
Vighnopasaantaye - "for relief from obstacles".

One more view
For the eradication of all obstructions, I meditate ("dhyayeth") on Vishnu, who is wearing ("dharam") a white ("shukla") cloth ("ambara"), who is of the color ("varnam") of the moon ("sashi"), who has four ("chatur") arms ("bhujam"), and who has a placid expression ("prasanna") on His face ("vadanam").

http://www.sanatansociety.com/beeld/gallery/vishnu.jpg

pranams,

bhargavsai
02 June 2008, 09:15 AM
Padmalochana-one who has eyes like lotus.....

bhargavsai
02 June 2008, 09:16 AM

Sri Maha Vishnu is called by the above name also. Here I feel that Lotus represents superconsciousness, and therefore Vishnu is that Superconsciousness which we need to attain.

yajvan
02 June 2008, 10:17 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Sri Maha Vishnu is called by the above name also. Here I feel that Lotus represents superconsciousness, and therefore Vishnu is that Superconsciousness which we need to attain.

Namaste bhargavsai,
Yes, another beautiful name for Him. This lotus name comes up often as we see it in:
Puṣkara पुष्कर - a blue lotus-flower , a lotus &
Padma पद्म - a lotus

We can view all the names at http://www.angelfire.com/tx/vedula/Meanings2.html (http://www.angelfire.com/tx/vedula/Meanings2.html) with their meanings. Worth the read as I see it.

Visnu - The all pervading Brahman, tad vishnoh paramam padam - Rig Veda 1.22.20

pranams

ritueshwara
25 March 2009, 09:38 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/fu2lhi.jpg

Spiritualseeker
03 August 2009, 07:51 PM
Namaste,

This is a beautiful thread.

shian
11 May 2010, 03:05 AM
I like a song in sacred chants "Suklambharadaram Vishnu"

In Indonesia , "Wisnu" is popular name of person. (all religion is use this name)

the other name is :

"Sri" ; "Budhi" ; "Sidharta" ; "Surya" ; "Indra" ; "Arjuna" ; "Krsna" ; etc

Sahasranama
11 May 2010, 03:49 AM
Swami Chinmayananda's commentary:

http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma/personal/music/vishnu-sahasranamam-meanings.htm

5 volume commentary:

http://www.ahobilavalli.org/ebooks_s4.htm

Swami Krishnananda's commentary:

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/vishnu/vishnu_1.html

Poetic translation by Hari Prakasha Gupta:

http://srivishnusahasranama.com/

Audiofiles found at:

www.raaga.com (http://www.raaga.com)
www.musicindiaonline.com (http://www.musicindiaonline.com)
http://www.KannadaAudio.com

Complete text for chanting:

http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/vsahasranew.pdf

There is an immense amount of peace that comes from listening or chanting the names Vishnu. For personal chanting and sing-a-long, I really enjoy the rendition of Shri Vidyabhushan.
http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Devotional/home/SriVishnuSahasranaama-SriVidyabhushana.php

Ashvati
11 May 2010, 10:35 AM
Vishal- Immense or unstoppable.

yajvan
11 May 2010, 01:42 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Vishal- Immense or unstoppable.
This word is rooted in viṣ - to overcome or subdue. Now we add in
'al' which is 'to be competent in' and we have viṣ+al, to be competent in overcoming and subduing.

praṇām

yajvan
11 May 2010, 07:19 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

And what of 'ha' - a simple sound¹ . This is a name for viṣṇu.
Where do we find this word that is interesting? In ahaṁ,
or 'I'. And in hariḥ, and haṁsa to name a few.

praṇām

1. the thirty-third and last consonant of the nāgarī alphabet

Sahasranama
13 May 2010, 07:21 PM
Another link I came across with an elobarate commentary of the thousands names of Vishnu:

http://kirtimukha.com/chinnamma/sahasra/index.html

yajvan
16 May 2010, 12:39 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

I thought to add another name of viṣṇu's that I am most fond of - Lotus-eyed One (puṇḍarīka).
I have posted this before, but thought it worthy of this string and its contents.

Many will recognize it's use in this āvāhanaṁ¹ (invocation) from the Garuḍa Purāṇa (2.47.52).

apavitraḥ pavitrau vā
sarvāvastām gataupi vā |
yaḥ smarat pundarīkākśam
sa bhāhyābhyantaraḥ suciḥ ||

Some write it like this:

apavitrah pavitro va
sarvastham gato'pi va |
yah smaret pundarikaksam
sa bahyabhyantarah sucih ||

What does this say? I have offered to the best of my understanding the sanskrit (some like to write saṁskṛt) equivalents for your consideration below - as it will help us with a better appreciation to its translation.

This sūkta says ( in brief)
Whether pure or impure, whether all places are permeated by purity or impurity, whoever opens himself to the Lotus Eyed One gains inner and outer purity.

In a nut shell, the one that opens him/her self - moves to, puts oneself in contact with, remembers, experiences or 'sees' (sūci) the Lotus-eyed One (puṇḍarīka) , then this person will gain inner and outer purity i.e. bhā or luster, light, will manifest within this person. This 'person' from the last post can be considered the adhvanīya अध्वनीन, a traveler, the person on the path.

This Lotus-eyed One (puṇḍarīka) is Viṣṇu or Śiva. Puṇḍarīka पुण्डरीकis a lotus-flower, esp. a white lotus expressive of beauty; and we know 'eyed' is akṣa अक्ष. So Pundarīkākśa the white-lotus (puṇḍarīka) + eyed (akṣa अक्ष) is the as puṇḍa पुण्ड the mark or a sign of Viṣṇu or Śiva.

This is considered saṁketa - a hint, a indication, a symbol. But of what? Pundarīkākśa and its'mark' is pure awareness, of unboundedness, of būmān - the fullness of the Absolute, the SELF. It is by opening oneself to the fullness of pure awareness that one gains inner and outer purity. This is anugraha (grace, favor) that is offered (su - to grant or bestow) by Pundarīkākśa, allowing this to manifest in one's daily life.

pranam

The sūkta by its words

apavitra अपवित्र - impure note that apa अप when used as a prefix to nouns and verbs , expresses 'away' , 'off' , 'back'
pavitra पवित्र - a means of purification , filter ; a means of purifying or clearing the mind ; rain or rubbing
vā वा- 'or', 'on the one side' , 'on the other'
sarva सर्व -whole , entire , all , every
vastu वस्तु - the seat or place of; any really existing or abiding substance or essence; vasta वस्त- a house
gata गत - come to, arrived at; known, understood ; gone to any state or condition , fallen into ; relating to , referring to , connected with
pi पि - move, to go
yaḥ यःor ya य- mover, goer
sma स्म- 'ever' , 'always' (as in remembering) ;
smara स्मर -memory , remembrance , recollection ; loving recollection;
smaret is = smara स्मर memory , remembrance , recollection ; loving recollection
puṇḍarīka पुण्डरीक + akṣa अक्ष= (beautiful, lotus-flowered, lotus-eyed; now the necxt word suggests 'sa' a noun for viṣṇu or śiva it is He that is puṇḍarīka, the beautiful, lotus-eye Lord of spendor (bhā)

puṇḍa पुण्ड- a mark, sign; puṇḍarīka पुण्डरीक- a lotus-flower, esp. a white lotus expressive of beauty;
akṣa - the eye; also a seed as in rudrākṣa
sa स - with, togetther with, along with - as it connect to sa
bhāya; also a noun for viṣṇu or śiva

bhā भा- to manifest; light , brightness , splendour ; to appear as , seem , look like , pass for ; be, exist;
ba ब -often meaning va व- auspicious; ocean, water; strong, powerful; wind, air
tara तर- concuring, surpassing, ; a raft ( for crossing)
ya य- mover, goer and/or yad यद्'so that', 'as in so much' ; masculine - puruṣa
sūci सूचि or sūcī सूची- sight , seeing (dṛṣṭi) ; su is rooted sū सू- grant, bestow and applies here to what is granted.

su - is rooted sū सू- grant, bestow
additional words

āvāhana आवाहन- invocation , invitation , inviting, calling; āvāhanaṁ आवाहनं is āvāhana
Garuḍa गरुड- 'devourer'; vehicle of viṣṇu that is a winged bird, chief of the feathered race , enemy of the serpent-race
Purāṇa पुराण-a class of sacred works compiled by the kavi vyāsa; the word Purāṇa itself means belonging to ancient or olden times; There are 18 major purāṇa-s.
saṁketa संकेत- hint , allusion , preconcerted sign or signal or gesture

smaranam
16 May 2010, 10:04 PM
In a nut shell, the one that opens him/her self - moves to, puts oneself in contact with, remembers, experiences or 'sees' (sūci) the Lotus-eyed One (puṇḍarīka) , then this person will gain inner and outer purity i.e. bhā or luster, light, will manifest within this person. This 'person' from the last post can be considered the adhvanīya अध्वनीन, a traveler, the person on the path.

This is considered saṁketa - a hint, a indication, a symbol. But of what? Pundarīkākśa and its'mark' is pure awareness, of unboundedness, of būmān - the fullness of the Absolute, the SELF. It is by opening oneself to the fullness of pure awareness that one gains inner and outer purity. This is anugraha (grace, favor) that is offered (su - to grant or bestow) by Pundarīkākśa, allowing this to manifest in one's daily life.

Namaste

I really like this explanation and remember reading it in your post - i think on a thread about purity.

Mangalam PuNdarIkAksham

yajvan
31 May 2010, 02:39 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

I thought to add another name of viṣṇu's that we find in the mahābhārata (śanti parvan, section 98) - He is called jiṣṇu.
This is defined as the following:

jiṣṇu - is rooted in ji , meaning victorious , triumphant , winning.
jiṣṇú means vanquishing , conquering , excelling and as mentioned a name for viṣṇu ; it is also used on occasion to define indra and arjuna.praṇām