PDA

View Full Version : Siva consumes poison

yajvan
12 April 2008, 01:15 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

In the Srimad Bhagavadam Book 8, section 7, one reads the churning of the ocean of milk for the reward or result of nectar.
Yet poison is produced from this churning of the devas and asuras.
They then solicit the help of Śiva.

It is said that Śiva ‘ then squeezing into the cavity of His palm the hālāhala¹ which was spreading all around, The Protector of all living beings swallowed it.’ He said, ‘ may a happy and (prosperous) life be assured to all created beings through Me.’

Does anyone have opinions on what this hālāhala represents?

1. hālāhala हालाहल - deadly poison prepared from the roots of a plant; poisonous plant in which the seed of which is said to resemble a cow's teat.

pranams

Jigar
12 April 2008, 04:14 PM
The hālāhala¹ , from the cows teat, i think measures to a quart of antifreeze and motor oil forsaken it might not taste the same as a gallon of blenderdized charcoal.

yajvan
12 April 2008, 05:13 PM
Enthaleku:

The hālāhala¹ , from the cows teat, i think measures to a quart of antifreeze and motor oil forsaken it might not taste the same as a gallon of blenderdized charcoal.

:Enthaleku

:) as I thought!

yajvan
13 April 2008, 12:35 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

In the Srimad Bhagavadam Book 8, section 7, one reads the churning of the ocean of milk for the reward or result of nectar. Yet poison is produced from this churning of the devas and asuras. They then solicit the help of Śiva.

Namaste,

I visited Thailand last month... the 'churning' was depicted in the scenes below; this is at the Bangkok Airport.
The deva's and asura's hold on to vAsuki¹ as the cord or rope, as Hari stands atop of Mount Mandara as the churn-dasher ( or chruning/agitation device).

http://bp1.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SAJAT_7qabI/AAAAAAAAA_k/2Mqor_5qeBg/s320/DSC_3521.JPG (http://bp1.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SAJAT_7qabI/AAAAAAAAA_k/2Mqor_5qeBg/s1600-h/DSC_3521.JPG)

http://bp1.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SAJAZ_7qacI/AAAAAAAAA_s/opk94gnNxYc/s320/DSC_3497.JPG

http://bp0.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SAJCTv7qagI/AAAAAAAABAM/syaXtLHb5gE/s320/DSC_3510.JPG

http://bp2.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SAJArP7qaeI/AAAAAAAAA_8/DWdWwGZ1qxQ/s320/DSC_3493.JPG

http://bp0.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SAJA9v7qafI/AAAAAAAABAE/rTFs4VbkgLs/s320/DSC_3538.JPG

1. vAsuki वासुकि - a serpent-king; a divine being

Ganeshprasad
26 April 2008, 01:53 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

In the Srimad Bhagavadam Book 8, section 7, one reads the churning of the ocean of milk for the reward or result of nectar.
Yet poison is produced from this churning of the devas and asuras.
They then solicit the help of Śiva.

It is said that Śiva ‘ then squeezing into the cavity of His palm the hālāhala¹ which was spreading all around, The Protector of all living beings swallowed it.’ He said, ‘ may a happy and (prosperous) life be assured to all created beings through Me.’

Does anyone have opinions on what this hālāhala represents?

1. hālāhala हालाहल - deadly poison prepared from the roots of a plant; poisonous plant in which the seed of which is said to resemble a cow's teat.

pranams

Pranam Yajvan ji

This is a great topic to discuss.

Duniya mein hum aaye hein to jina hi padega,
Jeewan hein agar jeher too pina hi padegaa,
Maalik he tere saath naa darr gam se tu-e-dil,
Mehnat kare insaan to kya kaam he muskil,
Jaisa jo karegaa, yahan waisa hi bharega

As we churn our life, in pursuit of happiness we invariably encounter distress and joy, both for our self and to others. The halahal that results from our endeavor, which no one wishes but it comes all the same, devas and ashuras did not expect it either. How we handle it in our everyday life either makes us or breaks us, and when every thing else fails we take shelter of that benevolent one.

If we must churn why not churn dahi only good comes out of it, just a thought.

Coming back to the incidence of bhgvatam and Lord Siva becoming Nilkanth Mahadeva, we (Atanu ji) have had to encounter poison spewed by a so called vaishnav belittling this great deed, trying to reduce Lord Shiv’s act of mercy, by quoting rig veda sukta Kesins, saying Vayu was the main participant of drinking the poison and Lord Siva just had a small portion, such is the nature of this world.

Jai Shree Krishna

yajvan
26 April 2008, 03:20 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Pranam Yajvan ji

This is a great topic to discuss.
Jai Shree Krishna

Namaste Ganeshprasad
As you mention

'we invariably encounter distress and joy, both for our self and to others'

Yes, we live in the world of opposites no doubt. It is finding that sAma, some like to call sAmabhAva, that even-ness that leads to samAveSa, possessed of the Divine. These opposites still occur yet are of little bother to the native, as he/she sees it as His play.

you mention too

Coming back to the incidence of bhgvatam and Lord Siva becoming Nilkanth Mahadeva, we (Atanu ji) have had to encounter poison spewed by a so called vaishnav belittling this great deed, trying to reduce Lord Shiv’s act of mercy, by quoting rig veda sukta Kesins, saying Vayu was the main participant of drinking the poison and Lord Siva just had a small portion, such is the nature of this world.

There is a strong desire by many to dominate being 'right'. I myself see this again and again. Yet many times this 'right' is not built upon personal experience, but by what others have told the individual, or what was taught. With that, there is little flexibility to reason - this is the root of jalpa no doubt 'argumentative debate' with no concern of the outcome - it can bring only this poison you mention.

Perhaps this encounter allowed you and atanu to go deeper into the knowledge, and only good came from this. This may be the blessing that was offered.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SBOKLPOV2rI/AAAAAAAABKA/u5qbwdBPnoE/s320/DSC_3538.JPG (http://bp2.blogger.com/_poozp2TeXhg/SBOKLPOV2rI/AAAAAAAABKA/u5qbwdBPnoE/s1600-h/DSC_3538.JPG)

Mischief always seems to find a way to entertain itself!

pranams

Ganeshprasad
26 April 2008, 04:42 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Ganeshprasad

Yes, we live in the world of opposites no doubt. It is finding that sAma, some like to call sAmabhAva, that even-ness that leads to samAveSa, possessed of the Divine. These opposites still occur yet are of little bother to the native, as he/she sees it as His play.

pranams

Yes as you say, but to keep this samtulan is no mean feat, many of us get blown off at the very sight of disturbance, our reaction to it if not checked, creates a chain of reaction that brings this jeher out.
How we handle this jeher is what we can learn from Lord Siva, that is not to ingest it all in, or else it will destroy us.

Perhaps this encounter allowed you and atanu to go deeper into the knowledge, and only good came from this. This may be the blessing that was offered.

Although when it happens one is always left with a bitter taste in the mouth but yes I am always of the opinion that what ever happens is for the best even though we may not appreciate at the time.

Jai Shree Krishna

yajvan
26 April 2008, 06:10 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Yes as you say, but to keep this samtulan is no mean feat, many of us get blown off at the very sight of disturbance, our reaction to it if not checked, creates a chain of reaction that brings this jeher out.
How we handle this jeher is what we can learn from Lord Siva, that is not to ingest it all in, or else it will destroy us.

Although when it happens one is always left with a bitter taste in the mouth but yes I am always of the opinion that what ever happens is for the best even though we may not appreciate at the time.

Jai Shree Krishna

Namaste Ganeshprasad,
Yes, what you say is true and is also my experience too... yet we are knocked down so we learn how to get back up. This I have learned over and over. The notion of tenacity and one-pointedness plays well on the path to the Divine.

Yet, it is my experience that sAma does not come from conscious effort of trying ( even though this has merit) , but is the residual, the left-overs, the benefits of sadhana. This sAma is then ingrained in the nervous system and one lives the sAma vs. trying to make it work. This has been my experience , and why I am compelled to keep my practice day-in-day-out.

Also I am happy that some good came from your contentions - yet I know they can leave a mark! Vidura-ji in the Mahabharata says the following:
A forest pierced by arrows or cut down by hatchets may grow again, but one's heart is wounded and censured by ill-spoken words never recovers. Weapons such as arrows, bullets, and darts can be easily extracted from the body, but a wordy dagger plunged deep into the heart is incapable of being taken out - Udyoga Parva XXXIV

These are wise words I think... I hope to continue to practive them while on HDF.

pranams

Jigar
29 April 2008, 10:37 AM
:Enthaleku:

While it was was winter, I was contaminated by the FLU. My mother concocted an ayurvedic potion of the popular Eau de Cologne with a wet rag over my head. In my usual self, i decided to secretly drink the stuff. Im experiencing symptoms of disillusionment, ie - Missing posts. any suggestions?

:anthuleka:

yajvan
29 April 2008, 10:49 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

any suggestions?

Consult a doctor? :headscratch:

satay
30 April 2008, 12:32 AM
Admin Note

Namaskar,

:Enthaleku:

Im experiencing symptoms of disillusionment, ie - Missing posts. any suggestions?

:anthuleka:

I delete (or at least try to delete) all junk posts that troll threads.