PDA

View Full Version : Pranava - Om

yajvan
15 April 2008, 06:51 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

We all know of this most auspicious sound Aum , Om औम् some like ॐ .
What possible value could I add to this sound... little to none.

Yet I found the word to describe it most interesting and thought to offer it for one's consideration. Please add or advance this idea as you wish.

praNava प्रणव the mystical or sacred syllable; Aum , Om औम् some like ॐ as mentioned above. Yet let's look at its components:

praNa प्रण is ancient , old (we see this used in purANa पुराण belonging to ancient or olden times , ancient , old)
Not to be confused with prANa प्राण the life breath we think of, but many a risi connects prANa to Brahman.

nava नव is new , fresh , recent , young , modern ; also considered praise , celebration.

So in the same word, we have ancient, old + new and fresh at the same time. For me this is the perfect word application for timeless, without bounds or constraints. Both new and old simultaneously is the concept of 'now' for me. Ever present, ubiquitous, far and near at the same time. What other then can this Om be other then Brahman?

And within this word we also have the following:
ana अन we know is the breath - as we find in prANa - as this too is considered Brahman¹.
And nAva नाव is a shout of joy or triumph and also a boat or a ship.

This Om is a celebration of Bhuma, Fullness of Being; and Anava आनव is being kind to men or belonging to living men. How great is this Brahman, being kind to the family-of-man and all creatures on this good earth to provide the goods/food/tattvas for all ones needs.

And perhaps a bit more esoteric meaning of nAva as boat or ship to get one across the ocean of birth-and-rebirth or saṁsāra. But where then does the boat take you? To samāveśa¹... the attainment of the original position , absorbtion of individual consciousness into Divine Consciousness, Brahman.

Omkara or Om+kara - kAra कार is the term used in designating a letter or sound or indeclinable¹ word; a song or hymn of praise; The praise of Om. And kara कर is the doer , maker , causer , doing , making , causing ; a measure (the breadth of twenty-four thumbs); The 'doing' of praising , Om.

...just a thought.

praNa-ms

1. Words and References

Brahma Sutras 1.1.23 Sutra 23 - Ata eva Pranah
Ata eva: for the same reason ( this refers to sutra 1.1.22) ; Pranah: the breath (also refers to Brahman).
As prāṇa is described as the cause of the world, such a description can apply to Brahman alone. The word ‘prāṇa must be understood as Brahman.
This word samāveśa is most interesting to me, sama+veśa . this is how I see it and look for any corrections if my comprehension is blemished. It is a key principle of kaśmir śaivism.
Sama is sameness, equivalent , like to or identical or homogeneous with.
And veśa is broken into 've' which is to to weave , interweave , braid; and Sa is eternal happiness , final emancipation; So this samāveśa is the sameness and homogeneously being weaved into final emancipation i.e. establishment of Brahman within ones Self.
indeclinable is without grammatical inflection

Hiwaunis
18 April 2008, 09:38 PM
Om Shanti Yajvan,

I see the similarity between the words "prana and praNa-ms". Will you please give a detail explanation of the salutation praNa-ms in relation to your post?

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

yajvan
19 April 2008, 01:25 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shanti Yajvan,
I see the similarity between the words "prana and praNa-ms". Will you please give a detail explanation of the salutation praNa-ms in relation to your post? Namaste, Hiwaunis

Namaste Hiwaunis,
I was hoping to show within praNava and praNa resides the components praNa-ms. How so?
Inherent within greeting another we submit or recognize Brahman that resides in the other being with our pranāms. As we bow in front pra (before, forward , in front) and nam we give, yield or submit, or give silence, hence pra (प्र) + nam ( नम्).

Just as within praNava प्रणव syllable of Aum , Om औम् some like ॐ, we have Brahman, so with others ( family, parents, friends, etc.) Brahman resides there too. Therefore we offer to Brahman in them pra (प्र) + nam ( नम्), givng our pranāms.

I thought the connection was noteworthy. Perhaps others may wish to extend the concept or idea.

pranām

Jigar
19 April 2008, 02:47 PM
Much interest i have in the query.

An inherent greeting as stated above is rudimentary as in greeting a relative ie. ---> Pranams Pranav Or even to such a Dieties as pictured below on page 5.