PDA

View Full Version : What is marriage for?

c.smith
17 May 2006, 11:16 AM
A common theme among books from ISKCON that I've been reading is that the only purpose for sex is for procreation within a marriage. If it's not for that purpose, then it shouldn't be happening. My question then is - Why should one marry if there is no plan to have children? Prabhupad essentially states in "The Journey of Self Discovery" that 2 men shouldn't be married, but what is the difference between 2 men and a woman and a man if there is no sex in the relationship? Do the Vedas speak out against homosexuality? What do they say specifically about marriage? How does love play into all of this? I can understand that sexual gratification can keep us bound to the material world, but somehow I think that a relationship is more than just sex. Why doesn't ISKCON awknowledge this?

Arjuna
17 May 2006, 11:26 AM
A common theme among books from ISKCON that I've been reading is that the only purpose for sex is for procreation within a marriage. If it's not for that purpose, then it shouldn't be happening. My question then is - Why should one marry if there is no plan to have children? Prabhupad essentially states in "The Journey of Self Discovery" that 2 men shouldn't be married, but what is the difference between 2 men and a woman and a man if there is no sex in the relationship? Do the Vedas speak out against homosexuality? What do they say specifically about marriage? How does love play into all of this? I can understand that sexual gratification can keep us bound to the material world, but somehow I think that a relationship is more than just sex. Why doesn't ISKCON awknowledge this?

Namaste,

ISKCON took a wrong position in this issue of marital relationships. Orthodox Vaishnava traditions accept two aims of sex in marriage, and thus sex isn't limited to procreation only (though procreation is the main dharmic reason of marriage according to Smriti).
This topic is discussed here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=264

c.smith
17 May 2006, 08:05 PM
Thank-you for the thread. It helped answer the sex part of my question, but the reason behind marriage is still an issue. Maybe an ISKCONite needs to answer this one. What is the purpose of marriage if there is to be no sex as agreed on by both parties for spiritual reasons? I hope that this has clarified just what I'm asking.

Bhakti Yoga Seeker
17 May 2006, 10:58 PM
You would need an ISKCONite to answer such a question. However, I personally disagree with this concept of theirs. I have not seen in the scriptures where it says this. Besides, I cannot find a logical explanation. Sex can be material and spiritual depending on the mindset and consciousness of the individuals involved. I would also be curious to know what the scriptures say about homosexuality. Again, ultimately each individual is not the body but the soul. Sex can be degrading or uplifting--just like many material things such as food, drugs, and even religion. ~BYS~

c.smith
17 May 2006, 11:49 PM
Quoting from "The Journey of Self Discovery" by A C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, pages 196/197.

"the priests are afraid to present the commandment straightforwardly. Now they are even granting man-to-man marriage, what to speak of other things. The priests are sermonizing on this idea of man-to-man marriage. Just see how degraded they have become! Previously was there any conception like this, at least outside America? Nobody thought that a man could be married to another man. What is this? And the priests are supporting it. Do you know that? So what is their standard?"

Seems clear that Prabhupad is dead set against homosexuality. Does that mean that he also does not support true love?

Arjuna
18 May 2006, 05:45 AM
Seems clear that Prabhupad is dead set against homosexuality. Does that mean that he also does not support true love?

Namaste,

There is a site where Prabhupada's attitute towards homosexuality is discussed: http://www.galva108.org/

(It isn't to promote this in any way, but only for information.)