PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Namaste!

CommaKazi
29 April 2008, 10:11 AM
Hi there, I just joined up and its so great to find a nice Hindu forum to be a part of! I do have a couple questions and since I'm not exactly sure where the best place to post them would be, I'll just ask here. I recently started researching Hinduism(?) and have realized that it is something that ignites some sort of fire in my soul, it's amazing and I am serious about delving deeper, anyways, the main question I want to ask is, how does a westerner like myself become a Hindu follower, is it of my own accord? Do I need to find a temple? If I say I follow the Hindu ways will I offend certain people? Any help would be great and I'm glad to be here!!

Indra
29 April 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi there, I just joined up and its so great to find a nice Hindu forum to be a part of! I do have a couple questions and since I'm not exactly sure where the best place to post them would be, I'll just ask here. I recently started researching Hinduism(?) and have realized that it is something that ignites some sort of fire in my soul, it's amazing and I am serious about delving deeper, anyways, the main question I want to ask is, how does a westerner like myself become a Hindu follower, is it of my own accord? Do I need to find a temple? If I say I follow the Hindu ways will I offend certain people? Any help would be great and I'm glad to be here!!

Welcome to the Forum. :)

devotee
30 April 2008, 01:30 AM
Namaste CommaKazi,

Welcome to the forum ! :)

Let me try to anaswer your questions :

the main question I want to ask is, how does a westerner like myself become a Hindu follower, is it of my own accord? Do I need to find a temple?

My advice is first you should try to know about Hinduism as much as possible & this forum can help you a lot & later on, if it appeals to you, you may become a Hindu follower. If you want it done formally, there must be some Hindu organisations nearby whom you can ask.

If I say I follow the Hindu ways will I offend certain people?

Yes, if you are Christian, the catholic church may get offended & if you are a Muslim then the Maulvis may be get offended, if you care about them.

OM

CommaKazi
30 April 2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, if you are Christian, the catholic church may get offended & if you are a Muslim then the Maulvis may be get offended, if you care about them.

I'm not quite sure I understand that, my meaning of that question is, currently I have no religious following, lets say I meet someone on the street thats a hindu, by birth for the sake of the argument, and they ask what I am, if i were to tell them I am hindu as well, would they get offended if I have not been properly.....sanctioned i guess would be the right word, or the fact that I am a westerner

dhruva023
30 April 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand that, my meaning of that question is, currently I have no religious following, lets say I meet someone on the street thats a hindu, by birth for the sake of the argument, and they ask what I am, if i were to tell them I am hindu as well, would they get offended if I have not been properly.....sanctioned i guess would be the right word, or the fact that I am a westerner

short answer would be, no they wont.