PDA

View Full Version : Sameness...

yajvan
10 May 2008, 11:26 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

In one of satay's posts he responds to some knowledge offered and says

If I may borrow Yajvan's words, I am starting to see the 'sameness'...

This notion of sameness is intriguing ( to me) and no less uplifting for the sādhaka¹… What is this sameness then that one can feel or get a glimpse of? It is based upon this notion of samatva समत्व or equality ; uniform conduct towards; equableness.

This notion of samatva is that of balance… Balance in thinking and acting, yet it is also in vision. I think that is what satay was referring to in his post. The balance of vision is the notion or epiphany/insight
that all that we view is samasta-sāma. This samasta is wholeness, combined , united + sāma or likeness , similarity, sameness.

It is a vision of this creation as being holistic and homogeneous. This also applies when one talks of various forms of Savesvara, or the Lord of all. One is able to appreciate all his forms and how people praise and worship Him in all different forms, yet in essence He is Brahman, He is Savesvara.

Perhaps this is why we view Viṣṇu (some write Vishnu or ViSNu) in this manner - tad vishnoh paramam padam, the all pervading Brahman; or Veveshti Vyaapnoti iti Vishnuh - That which pervades everywhere is Visnu. This pervasiveness is samasta-sāma.

Where does it start in the individual?
It starts with samabhava becoming samabhāva. Now these words look almost the same , where is the difference?

Samabhava = sama+bhava
sama सम is same, equal , similar , like , equivalent , like to or identical or homogeneous; having the right measure
bhava भव - coming info existence , birth , production
With samabhava this wholeness is coming into existence… it is maturing, and unfolding.

Lets look at Samabhāva
Samabhāva = sama+bhāva
sama सम is same , equal , similar , like , equivalent , like to or identical or homogeneous; having the right measure
bhāva भाव is the state , condition ; true condition or state , truth , reality

With samabhāva this sameness is reality for the aspirant. It is stabilized or established in ones life, all the time, all day, all year. So this balance is a very desirable thing.

Like satay, I am beginning to appreciate samabhava more and more as the march continues to samabhāva.

Ekam sad; vipra bahudha vadanti
Truth is one, sages call it variously - Rig Veda I.164.46 rsi dirghatamas

http://esotericteaching.org/images/Visnu.jpg

pranams

sādhaka साधक - effective , efficient , productive of , accomplishing , fulfilling , completing , perfecting , finishing i.e. the person practing sādhana leading straight to a goal , guiding well , establishing Reality; worship, adoration

yajvan
10 May 2008, 04:11 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought of one thing regarding this path to samasta-sāma, this samasta or wholeness ( bhuma or fullness of Being).
In the Kathopanishadčit says,
Arise, awake , having reached great teachers, learn ( realize Atman). Like the sharp edge of a razor ( some like to say sharp sword) is the path, difficult to cross and hard to tread, such say the wise.

That is, keeping ones resolve to stay focused. Along the way, one gains clarity of mind, more energy. Now what is this spent on? Is is re-invested or is it spent some place other then sadhāna?

This is the razors edge... we fall down. We do other things along the way. One gets uninspired for a time, or waivers, or 'life' happens to the sadhu and the awareness is redirected and 'spent' on other pursuits. We fall. But this falling is also the opportunity to pick oneself back up and continue.

But what is one falling off of? Yama and niyama, ones daily meditations or sadhāna... one forgets the intent and path one was on.

Falling is easy, the lesson is in getting back up. Falls, as I have experienced become less frequent over time and not as severe. For this I can only attest that it is His Grace and a helping hand there to assist.

pranams

Kathopanishad - 1.3.14