PDA

View Full Version : Graha Movement

yajvan
31 May 2008, 12:06 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste

As we start a new month tomorrow I thought to offer some of the movements that occurred in this month of May.

Guru ( Jupiter) became retrograde May 9th; Brihaspiti ( Jupiter) will remain in this backward motion until Sept. 7th. There are all different conversations regarding the implications of retrograde planets ( grahas), yet for this post it is worthy of ones consideration to note the time when Jupiter is stationary direct. That is neither forward or backwards. This is a very powerful time for Jupiter or any other planet that is balance, stillness, sama.

Who else is retrograde? Mercury (Buddha) started retrograde May 26th. The stationary direct period will occur 19th of June as Mercury will resume its forward march.

Who Else? Rahu and ketu. They always march backwards. Well that is not always true. Some jyotishi's can select 'true' or 'mean' settings for their Jyotish software. This allows rahu and ketu to always to be viewed as retro ( mean) or actual position (true). Many use this to see the actual location of these nodes for a specific day or time.

On that note, also be mindful that rahu and ketu did transit into new houses ( bhava) and rasi ( signs). This occurred the 5th of May. Rahu now resides in Capricorn (owned by Sani) and ketu is in Cancer ( owned by Chandra).
Since these nodes go backwards, they start at the highest degree of the sign , 30º and transit the sign to 0º.

Much can be said about these positions , called sthana bala or the strength of a graha in its position ( that is, the sign it occupies);
This is part of a method called shad-bala¹ or 6 sources or strength The 6 are:
1. Sthana bala - positional strength e.g. if the graha is in exaltation or debility, or mooltrikina, etc.
2. Dik bala ( some write dig) - or directional strength - which rasi or bhava are they in and in which direction are they headed? To the sign of exaltation or debility, etc.
3. Drig bala - aspect strength - are they receiving beneficial or malefic aspects from another graha?
4. Naisargika bala - natural strength based on their brightness
5. Kala bala - time strength - some grahas are more powerful at night (Chandra) or in the day (Surya)
6. Chesta bala - the actual speed of the graha - slower grahas have a higher value ( more points) then a fast moving graha. The idea is the graha has more time to focus its bala ( strength) at that location

Each one of these balas have sub-categories to them. So for Sthana bala , it is made up of ocha bala +saptavargaja bala+ ojayyugma Bala + drekkena bala +kendra bala.

Why the need for this? Jyotish has many moving parts to it, the shad-bala method looks at all the interactions of the grahas within sign, place, influence, speed, etc. and nets out the strength of the graha and its influence.
This wisdom is offered by Parashara muni. My teacher said he designed this for the age of Kali, as many jyotisha's would not have the capacity to comprehend all the components of a graha's influence, and blend them together into one theme, so he devised this shad-bala approach.

pranams

1. Shad bala: śaḍ consisting of 6 parts + bala or power , strength , might , vigour , force ,

satay
31 May 2008, 01:38 PM
namaskar Yajvan,
Thank you for the post.

I am curious to know how these new locations/movements (of Guru, Mercury, rahu and ketu) affect anyone's daily life. What should one be watching for to say, "oh yeah...I see...that's because guru is in such and such... or that's because rahu is in..."

Please share if you get some time.

Thank you.

yajvan
31 May 2008, 04:30 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

namaskar Yajvan,
Thank you for the post. I am curious to know how these new locations/movements (of Guru, Mercury, rahu and ketu) affect anyone's daily life. What should one be watching for to say, "oh yeah...I see...that's because guru is in such and such... or that's because rahu is in..."
Please share if you get some time. Thank you.

Namaste satay,
a reasonable question... out of the information offered in the first post it is rahu and ketu ( IMHO) that one will 'feel' the results more apparently.

Let me offer an example as it is happening in my home with rahu & ketu's movement.

It just so happens that for my wife, rahu's transit is now over her natal Guru location - that is, Guru ( Jupiter) in Capricorn in her birth chart; the sign that rahu has entered this month. Rahu and Jupiter are not friends.

Guru is also her Lagna Lord, lord of Sagittarius. Also note Guru does not enjoy being in Capricorn and is debilitated there, not strong.

Where ones lagna lord resides is called the Paka¹ Lagna. So with rahu's entry he transits over natal Jupiter AND gives aspect to Jupiter in Sagittarius through this notion of argala¹ (intervention). You will recall that Jupiter is transiting the sign of Sagittarius for all here on this good earth.

With this rahu transit illness is being experienced by my wife. Like clock-work the illness began with this transit. The first house represents health, strength, also the head. Her illness is the infection of the sinus cavity causing lots of serious discomfort within the head.

Note too that this position of Guru is transiting his own sign of Sagittarius and is now retrograde. So rahu is influencing the natal position of Jupiter ( in Sagittarius) and transiting Jupiter in both cases.

Why this influence? Rahu and ketu are natural malefics. Pending their positions their influences vary. Rahu has much to do with worldly desires, ketu we know as the moksha karaka ( absolutely opposite of rahu).
Some say Rahu's 'harm' is via dulling and suppressing the energy of the graha he associates with. In this case of my wife it holds true as dulling and suppressing 'health' , that of the lord of the 1st house (tanu bhava), the body.

Rahu also influences 'dirty food', another name for drug use or even foods that are considered unfit for human use. So for a strong rahu or ill placed in the natal chart this can occur.

Yet with ketu if perturbed brings detachment to an extreme, some call this lunacy. Other dis-eases of ketu are undiagnosed ailments, the ones where the doctor says 'we just don't know'. Too much ketu also gives poisonous speech.

Perhaps with a new post I can spend more time on rahu and ketu. They do have good placements also and can support the native. As we know a malefic in a dusthana ( the trik sthanas or 6th , 8th and 12th) brings good results.

pranams

1.words used

paka ( pAka) - ripening , ripeness ; maturity , full development . The Paka rasi has the task of ripening the karma promised to the native.
argala - a wooden bolt or pin for fastening a door; the notion is argala intervention 'locks' in the influence.
So we have rasi dristi influence, graha dristi influence, then we have argala infleunce that occurs on another sign (rasi) or house (bhava). Argala is decisive, firm, 'locked'.
dusthana from the root dus - bad , difficult , hard;

satay
31 May 2008, 06:09 PM
Yajvan,
Thank you for the nice explanation. I hope that your wife feels better soon.

yajvan
04 June 2008, 01:47 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Guru ( Jupiter) became retrograde May 9th; Brihaspiti (Jupiter) will remain in this backward motion until Sept. 7th. There are all different conversations regarding the implications of retrograde planets ( grahas), yet for this post it is worthy of ones consideration to note the time when Jupiter is stationary direct. That is neither forward or backwards. This is a very powerful time for Jupiter or any other planet that is balance, stillness, sama.
Who else is retrograde? Mercury (Buddha) started retrograde May 26th. The stationary direct period will occur 19th of June as Mercury will resume its forward march.

Namaste ,
Let me offer a few notions on retrograde grahas. Lets look to the 'experts' and see what they say.

Phala Deepika by Sri Mantreshwara suggests the following:
When a graha is retrograde he produces effects similar to those that would arise due to his occupying the sign of his exaltation,
Though the graha be in his enemy's sign ( rasi) or in debilitation.

The Uttarakalamrita says the following:
When a graha is retrograde his strength is similar to that when in exaltation. If the graha is conjoined with a retrograde graha his strength is halved. If a graha is retrograde while in his sign of exaltation it is equivalent to debilitation. On the other hand if a graha be in his debilitation rasi and retrograde, his strength is similar to that when in exaltation.

Saravali
Some opine that if a graha is in his sign (rasi) of exaltation and retrograde, he has no strength. Retrograde grahas are very powerful; the shubhas (or beneficial grahas) confer kingship while the papas¹( malefic grahas) cause misery and aimless wondering.

These are 3 views on this matter. Note all 3 suggest that the grahas do in fact have a different influence when retrograde. Another author suggests That benefics that are retrograde confer political power, and concurs with Saravali that malefic retrograde planets offer sorrow and aimless wondering.

Another view that was popular yet not many have supported this view is a retrograde planet gives the affects of the previous house it occupied…as if it stepped back one house ( bhava) and now acted as if it were in that house. My teacher does not support this.

So what do we know of Jupiter as it is retrograde.
1. It’s a benefic
2. it is in its own house
3. It is also in it mulatrikona house ( this means its in its office of business, where it does the work it is required to do. The same way a person may go to his or her office. The office is a 'formal place' of work.
4. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer and debilited in Capricorn

We can deduce from this information that retrograde Jupiter (Guru or Brihaspiti) is in a favorable position to influence good. This influence will travel to other signs via rasi dristi. That is, this sign looks at Pisces, Gemini and Virgo from its position in a sign.
It gives graha dristi via it sight to the 5th and 9th houses ( at 100% sight). So Aries and Leo signs and grahas in them get the beneficial rays of Guru. Today Sani is in Leo (the 9th from Guru) and some other upagrahas reside in the 9th also.

What of Mercury?
1. Mercury is a benefic yet takes on the qualities of the grahas he resides with
2. Today Mercury is in Taurus
3. Mercury resides with the Sun and Venus
4. Mercury is exalted in Virgo and debitated in Pisces
5. Mercury's friend is the Sun and Venus. So he is among friends in a friends sign ( Taurus , owned my Venus)
From this information its my assessment Mercury retrograde has the influence to do good. The question then becomes can this 'good' continue as it gets closer
To the Sun and becomes combust? That is another conversation. Many have an opinion to Mercury's position of combustion of being in front or behind the Sun. [ so many rules and moving parts , eh? ]

Mercury then gives rasi dristi ( that is this sign casts its influence) to Libra, Cancer & Capricorn. Hence his influence goes to Mars and Ketu in Cancer, to Rahu in Capricorn and there is no graha in Libra as I type. for graha dristi ( at 100%) he throws his sight to Scorpio and again no graha is in this rasi at this time.

Now one last influence is both Jupiter and Mercury give argala¹ (or this intervention I have discussed) to the 2nd, 4th and 11th houses from their present positions. This argala as you recall promotes the nature of the house (bhava) that this argala falls upon by fair or foul means. This argala is that falls on the 2nd, 4th and 11 bhavas ( houses) from the grahas mentioned is also obstructed by those grahas that reside in the 12th, 10th and 3rd respectively. That is argala given to the 2nd house is blocked by the 12th house ( this is called papa-argala).

This Argala is called out in the 1st chapter of Jaimini's Upadesa Sutras for those Jyotishi's that wish to look into this subject further.

Last, the question now to be asked then , what is the influnences that Jupiter and Mercury will hve on all these locaitons? we look to them and thier kAraka, instrumental in bringing about the action , them as significators, and indicators of specific actions.

We have discussed this before. Here is the HDF post on kArakas: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1404&highlight=karakas

pranams

words used

argala - a wooden bolt or pin for fastening a door; the notion is argala intervention 'locks' in the influence.
So we have rasi dristi influence, graha dristi influence, then we have argala infleunce that occurs on another sign (rasi) or house (bhava). Argala is decisive, firm, 'locked'.
pApa - boding evil , inauspicious