PDA

View Full Version : Had Srimad-Ramanuja the vision of Sri Vaikuntha?

orlando
25 May 2006, 10:19 AM
Namaste all.
I have a questions a Srimad Ramanuja's work:Sri Vaikuntha Gadhyam.Did he imagine to visit Vaikuntha?Or did he really have the vision of it?
Regards,
Orlando.

TruthSeeker
25 May 2006, 02:46 PM
Namaste all.
I have a questions a Srimad Ramanuja's work:Sri Vaikuntha Gadhyam.Did he imagine to visit Vaikuntha?Or did he really have the vision of it?
Regards,
Orlando.

It is taken from Kau****aki Brahmana. It gives you a beautiful esoterical description. For common man, it is meant to be read literally and develop a feeling of love and personal attachment with God.

I doubt if Ramanuja meant his works to be interpreted literally by everybody. I have heard some opinions that Ramanuja never authored these works himself, though it maynot be correct. Why I beleive this may be true is because he is quite philosophical in his other works, while the Gadhya Traya looks very different in substance.

orlando
07 June 2006, 08:35 AM
Namaste all.
Yesterday I sended an e-mail to Shri Mani Varadarajan,the founder of http://www.ramanuja.org
The questions n.4 is:
have a question about a Srimad Ramanuja's work:Sri Vaikuntha Gadhyam.Did he imagine to visit Vaikuntha?Or did he really have the vision of it?

Today I did read the answer:
Sri Ramanuja's description of Vaikuntha in the Vaikuntha Gadya is
a result of the overflowing of his experience of the Lord. It is based both
on the shastra and his experience of the Lord.

Regards,
Orlando.

TruthSeeker
09 June 2006, 05:21 AM
Namaste Bhakta - That is fine. The experience of the Atman is not sensory perception. To teach you something that you are not capable of percieving is impossible. Only figurative descriptions are possible. This figurative description like that of Sri Ramanuja is that of the world of Sabda Brahma of which he might have had a vision. Beyond that, even such figurative speech is not possible.

You want to describe how a beautiful palace looks like to a man born blind. How will you do it? And what will he understand? You are just equal to a blind man to a Yogi - he cant teach you, nor you can understand, until you overcome this blidness or he chooses to remove your blindness.

orlando
09 June 2006, 08:38 AM
Namaste Bhakta - That is fine. The experience of the Atman is not sensory perception. To teach you something that you are not capable of percieving is impossible. Only figurative descriptions are possible. This figurative description like that of Sri Ramanuja is that of the world of Sabda Brahma of which he might have had a vision. Beyond that, even such figurative speech is not possible.

You want to describe how a beautiful palace looks like to a man born blind. How will you do it? And what will he understand? You are just equal to a blind man to a Yogi - he cant teach you, nor you can understand, until you overcome this blidness or he chooses to remove your blindness.

Namaste Shri TruthSeeker.
If I am are blind to a yogi,you are a speculator to me.(Moderators,please note that the word "speculator" is not name-calling).And althoug your nick is TruthSeeker I feel that you seek your personal truth instead of the Absolute Truth.
Please read what Siddhānta Sarasvatī says in the Foreword of Brahma-Samhita.
By http://vedabase.net/bs/foreword/en
The materialistic demeanor cannot possibly stretch to the transcendental autocrat who is ever inviting the fallen conditioned souls to associate with Him through devotion or eternal serving mood. The phenomenal attractions are often found to tempt sentient beings to enjoy the variegated position which is opposed to undifferenced monism. People are so much apt to indulge in transitory speculations even when they are to educate themselves on a situation beyond their empiric area or experiencing jurisdiction. The esoteric aspect often knocks them to trace out immanence in their outward inspection of transitory and transformable things. This impulse moves them to fix the position of the immanent to an indeterminate impersonal entity, no clue of which could be discerned by moving earth and heaven through their organic senses.

The lines of this booklet will surely help such puzzled souls in their march towards the personality of the immanent lying beyond their sensuous gaze of inspection. The very first stanza of this publication will revolutionize their reserved ideas when the nomenclature of the Absolute is put before them as "Kṛṣṇa." The speculative mind would show a tendency of offering some other attributive name to designate the unknown object. They will prefer to brand Him by their experience as the "creator of this universe", "the entity beyond phenomena" — far off the reference of any object of nature and void of all transformation. So they will urge that the very fountainhead should have no conceivable designation except to show a direction of the invisible, and inaudible untouchable, nonfragrant and unperceivable object. But they will not desist from contemplating on the object with their poor fund of experience. The interested enquirer will be found to hanker after the records left by erudite savants to incompatible hallucinative views of savage demonstration. In comparing the different names offered by different thoughts of mankind, a particular judge would decide in favor of some nomenclature which will suit best his limited and specific whims. The slave mentality of an individual will no doubt offer invective assertions to the rest who will be appealing to him for a revelation of his decision.

Regards,
Orlando.

Singhi Kaya
09 June 2006, 09:06 AM
All I can say is that the english is good.

But all this concern for the "transcendental autocrat" (nice word) is beyond me.

Since God is not a concrete phenominan as gravity any view is as much true and as much false.

TruthSeeker
09 June 2006, 09:11 AM
If I am are blind to a yogi,you are a speculator to me.(Moderators,please note that the word "speculator" is not name-calling).And althoug your nick is TruthSeeker I feel that you seek your personal truth instead of the Absolute Truth.

Your feelings are correct. I cant seek the truth you are seeking because it is phenomenal.;)

Please read what Siddhānta Sarasvatī says in the Foreword of Brahma-Samhita.

I dont care for the view of Siddhanta Sarasvati, and nor for the bogus text called Brahma Samhita - this is a recent composition of Gaudya Vaishnavas and not shruti.;)

A warning for you though - Krishna is the Absolute beyond all sensory perception and even beyond the mind. Please do not reduce him to some deva dancing in the sky with some gopis. Ah, never mind, that is still Krishna.:)

And thank you for the warning me of the dangers of seeking "undifferenced monism". We all have freedom of choice, dont we? Or are you one amongst those - "My way or the highway" mentality? You can definitely pray for me if you are so much concerned of my landing in hell, hehe.

orlando
09 June 2006, 10:14 AM
Your feelings are correct. I cant seek the truth you are seeking because it is phenomenal.;)

I dont care for the view of Siddhanta Sarasvati, and nor for the bogus text called Brahma Samhita - this is a recent composition of Gaudya Vaishnavas and not shruti.;)

A warning for you though - Krishna is the Absolute beyond all sensory perception and even beyond the mind. Please do not reduce him to some deva dancing in the sky with some gopis. Ah, never mind, that is still Krishna.:)

And thank you for the warning me of the dangers of seeking "undifferenced monism". We all have freedom of choice, dont we? Or are you one amongst those - "My way or the highway" mentality? You can definitely pray for me if you are so much concerned of my landing in hell, hehe.

As a Sri vaishnava I don't consider Brahma-samhita as shruti.I just wished that you did read the words of Siddhanta Sarasvati.
As a Sri vaishnava I don't believe in the existance of Krishnaloka or Goloka Vrindavana,the spiritual planet of Lord Krishna.
I believe in Vaikuntha as the only spiritual world.For me there is not Krishna that dances with Radha.For me there is Lord Vishnu seated in a high throne along with Sri Maha-Lakshmi.
http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/images/bimages/vaikuntha.jpg

Regards,
Orlando.

orlando
09 June 2006, 10:20 AM

I don't find necessary to pray for you.I will save you personally from the samsara.When I was in another forum,where I met Atanu Banerjee,I told him:
after I will have reached Sri Vaikuntha I will have to return in this world by taking a body made of shudda sattva.Lord Vishnu NEVER make go away from Sri Vaikuntha a mukta,however the jivatman,by his own will,may visit again this world.Even I will take a body,I will always be a mukta,this mean that I will still be omniscient.I will want to take birth in the place where you will found and I will meet.I repeat that I will preach you Visistadvaita philosophy.

I will take the same action with you.After I will became a mukta,I will have return to this planet to save you from the samsara.

P.S.:please don'call me though my nick.Call me Orlando.

Regards,
Orlando.

Sudarshan
09 June 2006, 04:25 PM
I don't find necessary to pray for you.I will save you personally from the samsara.When I was in another forum,where I met Atanu Banerjee,I told him:
after I will have reached Sri Vaikuntha I will have to return in this world by taking a body made of shudda sattva.Lord Vishnu NEVER make go away from Sri Vaikuntha a mukta,however the jivatman,by his own will,may visit again this world.Even I will take a body,I will always be a mukta,this mean that I will still be omniscient.I will want to take birth in the place where you will found and I will meet.I repeat that I will preach you Visistadvaita philosophy.

I will take the same action with you.After I will became a mukta,I will have return to this planet to save you from the samsara.

P.S.:please don'call me though my nick.Call me Orlando.

Regards,
Orlando.

Namaste Orlando -- Mod Satay would not be pleased with this view as he is half Vaishnavite and half Shaivite.

But you be firm in your beleifs, and dont give it up because others like TruthSeeker brainwash you. God is personal to those who think so, and impersonal to those who think so. People like that can never see God in his personal form.;)

Sudarshan
09 June 2006, 04:45 PM
As a Sri vaishnava I don't believe in the existance of Krishnaloka or Goloka Vrindavana,the spiritual planet of Lord Krishna.
I believe in Vaikuntha as the only spiritual world.For me there is not Krishna that dances with Radha.For me there is Lord Vishnu seated in a high throne along with Sri Maha-Lakshmi.

Why do you say all these? There is nothing contradictory in all these - Krishnaloka, Goloka, Ayodhya and Vaikunta are all one and the same. Krishna is just another name for Vishnu and it is indeed strange that some politics is going on in various names..

orlando
12 June 2006, 08:41 AM
Why do you say all these? There is nothing contradictory in all these - Krishnaloka, Goloka, Ayodhya and Vaikunta are all one and the same. Krishna is just another name for Vishnu and it is indeed strange that some politics is going on in various names..

Namaste Shri Sudarshan Maharaja.
You should be aware that Gaudiya-vaishnava believe that there is a spiritual world for Rama (called Rama-loka),a spiritual world for Narasimha (called Narasimha-loka),ecc.
For them the highest spiritual world is Krishnaloka,called also Goloka Vrindavana.
According to Gaudiya-vaishmava Krishnaloka and Vaikuntha aren't the same spiritual world.
Regards,
Orlando.