PDA

View Full Version : Would like advice

rmystic
02 June 2008, 12:26 AM
Namaste

I believe in the universal truths of Brahman, Atman, Maya, Karma, Samsara, Moksha, and Dharma. Beginning about three years ago I have usually been of a mystic mindset and have always enjoyed writings concerning Sanatana Dharma, Kabbalah, and Sufism.

So far throughout this short time I found myself attracted to Sanatana Dharma more than anything else and it is a very beautiful path. For one week so far I have been praying to Sri Ganesha and remembering Him sometimes during the day. Sri Ganesha is my perceptive of Brahman/Atman. I have also been putting into practice what I have read about Pranava Yoga. Every morning and night I sit down in Sukhasana and mentally intone Aum during each inhalation/exhalation while focusing between the brows without straining. Sometimes I include mental Japa of the So-Hum mantra as an additional practice.

Everyday I read the Bhagavad Gita (translated by Eknath Easwaran) to understand the path to liberation better and to feel closer to God. Someday I will find a translation of the Upanishads and begin reading those.

Japa Yoga is a major interest of mine concerning Sanatana Dharma. I understand that some mantras do not work for a person unless they had been given the mantra from a Guru. Because of this I simply use Aum and So-Hum. What are some mantras that anyone could use without having to receive them verbally from a Guru? A webpage that I saw last night said something about how those who chant mantras without receiving them from a Guru are actually wasting their time and will not experience any spiritual growth. To me that sounds rather bleak because to experience God is our birthright and not everyone can obtain a Guru.

I am not interested in joining or following any denomination of Sanatana Dharma like Vaishnavaism, Shaivism, Shaktism, Smartism, et cetera. All what I desire is a set of simple beliefs, practices, and ethics that will help me attain the ultimate goal. If my beliefs and practices can be called Sanatana Dharma, then that's certainly alright with me. I do not and shall not call myself a Hindu though because my understanding is that the word Hindu is a geographic label and that Hinduism itself is a way of life that has a culture that I am not a part of and have not the desire to get into. Sanatana Dharma, from what I understand, is universal and therefore cannot be limited to any one culture. If Sanatana Dharma or Hinduism are not suitable descriptions of my spirituality, then that's alright with me as well because labels only have to do with language and not Spirit. But hey, I'm a reflective mystic who expresses my spirituality with Sanatana Dharma. *smiles*

Advice will be greatly appreciated from any of you who have experience in Sanatana Dharma.

:)

Znanna
02 June 2008, 08:38 PM
Namaste,

I'm not sure what you're asking advice about?

If you have a specific question on referents, it might be interesting to do a search on that, here.

That said, generally speaking, my advice is to practice meditation and pray often!

ZN

rmystic
03 June 2008, 01:05 AM
Any advice in general.

Thank you for your advice. At first I was doing my meditation sessions of Pranava Yoga for ten minutes each but now a session is for twenty minutes. Prayer is a remarkable practice and its results are rich.

I must admit that this is all helping me overcome an addiction that I am not happy with. Immersing myself in God is much more rich and sooths the heart & mind.

:)

Namaste,

I'm not sure what you're asking advice about?

If you have a specific question on referents, it might be interesting to do a search on that, here.

That said, generally speaking, my advice is to practice meditation and pray often!

ZN

ScottMalaysia
09 June 2008, 08:52 AM
Regarding the Upanishads: Many Hindu scriptures are available at http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm