PDA

View Full Version : Religion and everyday life

Kahala
25 May 2006, 12:32 PM
What is the influence of religion on your everyday life?? Do you always comply it rules??

Arjuna
25 May 2006, 02:37 PM
What is the influence of religion on your everyday life?? Do you always comply it rules??

Before answering this question we have to define what exactly we mean by "religion" in this context.

Devibhakta
25 May 2006, 03:29 PM
And in Hinduism, this is tricky. I think in general, though, the context has to be the individual himself. For some, religion includes teachings on ethical and moral behavior, for others it may just be a state-mandated formality, and for yet others just a set of simple superstitions. But actually, in all 3 cases, there will be compliance: in the first case, behavior may be governed by ahimsa; in the second case, let's say one has to comply by paying a religion tax; and in the third, one complies by avoiding black cats and number 13. So can we conclude that one always complies, regasrdless of the type of religion?

Kahala
26 May 2006, 04:12 AM
You are right :) But I am interested in sth more. Most people in my country are Catholics. Some of them go to the church on Sunday, don't eat meat on Friday, pray everyday. Others don't pray at all and go to the church only on Christmas. So I want to know how it is in Hinduism.
I know that there is no written rules, so I want to know how you pray. What do you do in your everyday life which is connected with your religion? Sorry, if this question si too personal or strange.

Devibhakta
26 May 2006, 02:55 PM
Your revised question is much more approachable and interesting. Not much time now, but I will get on it soon. Thanks for the clarification, Kahala.

Peace, Devibhakta

Kahala
28 May 2006, 02:46 AM
I will be waiting for your answer :)

satay
28 May 2006, 01:12 PM
So I want to know how it is in Hinduism.
I know that there is no written rules,

namaste,
Whomever told you that there are no written rules to follow for a hindu was either 1. lying 2. didn't know what they were talking about or 3. spreading propaganda and scared of hinduism and hindus.

There are 'niyams' to follow for hindus that guide his every 'waking' hour.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kahala
28 May 2006, 04:39 PM
I didn't know- I am only a beginner. I was looking at Hinduism from my perspective, culture. Sorry for it.
I want to know Hinduism better, so thank you much for your remark :), now I see my mistake.
This forum and yours opinions are very helpful for me.

satay
28 May 2006, 08:46 PM
I didn't know- I am only a beginner. I was looking at Hinduism from my perspective, culture. Sorry for it.
I want to know Hinduism better, so thank you much for your remark :), now I see my mistake.
This forum and yours opinions are very helpful for me.

namaste kahala,
Thank you for your post. Sorry, if I came out too strong...I didn't mean to.

Here are the 10 niyams of a hindu.

1. Satya (truth)
2. Ahimsa (avoiding unneccesary violence or simply non-violence)
3. Brahmacharya (celibacy before marriage)
4. Asteya (non-stealing)
5. Aparigraha (no bribery)
6. Shauch (cleaniness)
7. Santosh (contentment or living at peace)
8. Swadhyaya (reading of scriptures)
9. Tapas (austerity)
10. Ishwarpranidhan (regular prayers)

For reference

source: http://www.hindubooks.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1057

Hope this helps.

Kahala
30 May 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks you much :)