PDA

View Full Version : Hindu Temple Architectural Styles and Worship

ScottMalaysia
09 June 2008, 09:13 AM
Here in Malaysia, most of the temples are of the South Indian variety (some have gopurams over the entrances, but the smaller ones don't). Most of them are also dedicated to Lord Shiva, Lord Murugan, Goddess Mariamman, or Lord Ganesha. However, I did visit a Krishna temple once, and I have seen pictures of a Lakshmi Narayan temple here as well.

I've noticed that the Mariamman and Shiva temples are all South Indian ones. Each Deity is in a shrine built like a small house. Usually the Deities are housed individually in small house-like shrines called griha. There is no main altar. The Deities, as well, are carved from black stone and it is hard to make out Their features. The temple is an open structure inside the main wall and gopuram, with few or no walls in the actual temple area. People wash their legs before entering the temple. Bhajans are not normally sung, but in some temples there are people playing the nadaswaram (woodwind instrument) and thavil (drum) during puja. Men and women worship together.

However, the Krishna temple that I visited was a North Indian style temple. There was no gopuram, yet there was a big spire over the main altar. There was no place for washing the feet, and there was a main altar inside the temple with statues of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna. The statues were made of marble, and the Deities' features were easily distinguishable. The pictures of the Lakshmi-Narayan temple show multiple canopies on the altar with multiple pairs of Deities. The Krishna temple was a closed building. Bhajans are often sung as part of a service. Men and women sit separately.

Now, I am curious as to whether these differences stem from sectarian differences or geographical differences. Do South Indian Vaishnavas house their black stone Deity of Lord Vishnu in a griha, with Sri Lakshmi in another griha? Do North Indian Shaivites have marble statues of Lord Shiva on the altar? Or do North Indian Shaivites worship the same way as South Indian Shaivites - with Deities carved from black stone, housed in individual griha?

I'm curious about this. I am also making an "Introduction to Hinduism" website, and I want to explain about the differences between North and South Indian practice.