PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

Mouse
10 June 2008, 10:33 PM
I haven't really posted since my introduction, so I will give a little background here: I am a relatively new devotee of Shiva. I am trying to learn as much as I can. I could probably use a little guidance. I'd really like to visit a temple, but I am not sure where the nearest one is and my Net searches haven't turned up a whole lot very close to Johnstown, PA (where I live). I feel like an infant on this path.

Now for a new wrinkle: My youngest two kids, ages 9 and 3, are completely crazy for Shiva. If they see pictures of Shiva, or I am watching a related video on Youtube, or if I am playing any kind of devotional music, they get very excited. My 9-year-old proudly announces that she's a Hindu (even when noone is asking)-- and that's an identity that she claimed for herself without input from me. I try to answer questions as they come up, and look for answers if I don't know, but I really don't feel confident enough in my own knowledge and perspective for the long term.

I used to have a copy of Dancing with Shiva, and that was one of the things that spurred me on toward this path. I wish I still had it. My 9-year-old is exceptionally bright and a good reader. I think she'd jump on it with enthusiasm.

Any advice for a newbie parent?

Also, another question, completely unrelated and probably trivial: In addition to my interest in Hinduism, I am a bit of a language nut. I have heard that learning Sanskrit is a lifetime pursuit, and that appeals to me. What other languages would be useful to know to some degree (for travel and reading books in the original)? Maybe Hindi and Tamil?

saidevo
10 June 2008, 11:20 PM
Namaste Mouse.

It is nice that you and your kids are taking to Hinduism with natural fervour. Good that Shiva is your favourite form of God, but then as Hindus we must also pray to other forms of Him. It is like having a best friend besides many other friends.

As for guiding the children, here are some resources that might help:

1. Bala-Gokulam: Teacher's Handbook (2.2 MB)
http://www.balagokulam.org/teach/bgbook.pdf

2. Hinduism: B.N.Aiyer (online)
http://www.bnaiyer.com/vidya/basic-hinduism-title.html

3. Ten Questions about Hinduism (HA)(3.8 MB)
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/basics/tenq/hindu10questions.pdf

In addition, you may ask the children to read a number of Hindu stories which may be found in the library I have compiled here:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/library.html

A wealth of spiritual literature is available in many Indian languages besides Sanskrit. Sanskrit learning guidance might be found in the above library, and you may check the Net for learning other languages, may be Hindi and Tamil, yes.

bhargavsai
11 June 2008, 12:11 AM
I have also been the devotee of Shiva since my childhood. I was deeply attracted to his form, stories etc. But I didn't have any teacher, nor did I have a spiritual background. But as the time went on I understood that Shiva was guiding me in even smaller things. And he made me know something.

Faith in God is itself a great knowledge. As your journey towards him with firm faith, you will realize that you are gaining the knowledge, peace and bliss.

Why not buy a Shiva Linga? Buy a linga. Keep that linga in a sacred place or separate room. Daily morning bath that linga in pure water and apply ash to it.
Then chant "Aum Namaha Shivaya" and pray through this mantra. On special occasions bath that linga with milk and then water...This way you can worship linga.

But there is something called as Shiva Manasa Puja, which is mental worship and is superior to all forms of worship. Worship God through your mind, make your heart a temple, place a linga in it mentally. And then meditate on that linga, or meditata or God's form, or meditate on any Mantra.

Aum Namaha Shivaya

ScottMalaysia
11 June 2008, 09:02 PM
Vannakkam Mouse,

You can get Dancing with Shiva online at Kauai's Hindu Monastery: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/

With regard to the language issue: Yes, Sanskrit is a very difficult language. I have a book for learning it, but I don't have the time to pursue it at the moment. It is a very complex language, especially for those who speak only English and have never encountered a language with gender, case or a dual number (a special plural form used for only two objects, persons etc).

There are 22 languages officially recognized in India, and it would be impossible for one person to learn them all. Fortunately you already know one of them: English. Because there are so many languages in India, English has become the 'neutral language' that is used when people converse with others who don't speak their language. For example, if there is a meeting with speakers of Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, and Kannada, then it is very likely that
English will be used.

If you're interested in going to India, then it would depend on where you're going. Hindi is the official language of India, but it isn't universally spoken throughout India. Also, I don't think there are any Scriptures as such written in Hindi, but many bhajans are in the Hindi language. Tamil would be a good option if you're interested in reading Saivite Scriptures such as Tirumantiram, Tiruvasagam and Tirukural. However, the colloquial Tamil spoken in India, Malaysia and Singapore today is quite different from the older Tamil language, and even the formal, written Tamil of today differs from the colloquial spoken Tamil. Tamil is also easier to learn than Sanskrit.