PDA

View Full Version : Pointers to Hindu Dharma in Practice

saidevo
17 June 2008, 08:30 PM
The Hindu Dharma, known as Sanatana (Universal) Dharma applicable to mankind as a whole, combines religion in life and life in religion, with a universal God as the substratum of both. In this thread, we share pointers on Hindu Dharma to articles and other specific resources on the Net for reading and reference. Insteading of dumping the contents from the other Website, we give just a brief pointer to the contents. We can however post our comments on the articles as to the correctness of the contents here.

Why 'Namaskar' and not a 'hand shake'?
http://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/knowledge/article/why-namaskar-and-not-a-hand-shake.html

The correct way of doing 'namaskar' when two people meet each other: palms and fingers joined, thumbs touching the anAhata-heart chakra.

What is the meaning and the benefits of 'Namaskar'?

svAvadhika ukRuShTatva pratibodhakaH
anukulo vyApAraH kriyA -- nyAyashastra

From Science of Justice - 'Namaha' is a physical action expressing that 'you are superior to me in all qualities and in every way'.

The main objective of doing Namaskar to someone is to derive spiritual as well as worldly benefits.

What is correct method & science of doing Namaskar to God?

The correct way of doing 'namaskar' when praying to God: palms and fingers joined, thumbs touching the ajnA-between-brows chakra.

yajvan
17 June 2008, 09:01 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

The Hindu Dharma, known as Sanatana (Universal) Dharma applicable to mankind as a whole, combines religion in life and life in religion, with a universal God as the substratum of both. In this thread, we share pointers on Hindu Dharma to articles and other specific resources on the Net for reading and reference. Insteading of dumping the contents from the other Website, we give just a brief pointer to the contents. We can however post our comments on the articles as to the correctness of the contents here.

Namaste saidevo,
Let me ask , is your point about Dharma as the subject matter? Or the proper procedure (etiquette) for posting information in this folder?

I plead ignorance as I cannot discern the two from your post ( hopefully I am asking the same question others are thinking).
Please advise.

pranams

saidevo
17 June 2008, 09:48 PM
Namaste Yajvan.

Let me ask , is your point about Dharma as the subject matter? Or the proper procedure (etiquette) for posting information in this folder?

I plead ignorance as I cannot discern the two from your post ( hopefully I am asking the same question others are thinking).
Please advise.

1. Yes, the subject matter of this thread is collecting useful information about Dharma that may be found in other Websites, just as we have pointers here in HDF to other posts.

2. It is not my intention to stress any etiquette or procedure for posting information from other Websites. Hindu Dharma in Practice is a vast subject and everyone is sure to find lots of information about it on the Net. I just thought that only pointers instead of an extract of the contents would be enough motivation for the readers to the resources.

Dumping contents from other sources might be necessary, depending on the purpose: I am aware that I am myself doing it in my threads '''adhyAtmavidyA' in Synthesis". I am doing it to create a repository of knowledge which is another purpose of our HDF. Therefore, I would not advise anyone against dumping contents if there is need.

My main aim is that this thread might be of help to the newcomers to Hindu Dharma. Perhaps Satay might transfer this thread to the Newcomers forum.

yajvan
18 June 2008, 01:09 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

I just thought that only pointers instead of an extract of the contents would be enough motivation for the readers to the resources.

Dumping contents from other sources might be necessary, depending on the purpose: I am aware that I am myself doing it in my threads '''adhyAtmavidyA' in Synthesis". I am doing it to create a repository of knowledge which is another purpose of our HDF. Therefore, I would not advise anyone against dumping contents if there is need.

Namaste saidevo,
thank you for the clarification, I see your point ( makes sense).

pranams