PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here!

socialdarwinist
19 June 2008, 09:27 AM
I am new to Hinduism. I became interested cuz I am a social darwinist. Hinduism also believes in the battle between devas and asuras, it's similar to survival of the fittest and evolutionary principles of social darwinism. That's it for now.

sm78
19 June 2008, 09:46 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. The science of human conflict both internal and external can indeed be understood as an ever resurfacing debAsura sangrama. I don't know how much darwinism relates to this dominant topic of hindu epics, itihAsas, sruti, sometimes even upanisads. In hinduism, natura is ultimately not favourable to asuras. Though as humans our sense instincts and ego are powerful enough to make some of us tread the asurik path while most of us adopt the policy of helplessness against in face of brutality and it is often the case devas are vanquished by asuras, but natural forces never make this last and more powerful interventions soon come by (so the stories go).

saidevo
20 June 2008, 10:20 PM
Namaste socialdarwinist.

Welcome to HDF.

I am new to Hinduism. I became interested cuz I am a social darwinist. Hinduism also believes in the battle between devas and asuras, it's similar to survival of the fittest and evolutionary principles of social darwinism. That's it for now.

I think in Hinduism, the Darwinian concepts of evolution, selection and survival apply insofar as a Jiva (individual self or soul) is concerned only to the following extent:

1. The evolution of a Jiva comprises its progress in the path towards merging with the Absolute. It is a natural process whose pace and progress is subject to the volition of Jiva. Thus, the evolution a Jiva with a spiritual volition is quicker than another Jiva with a material volition.

2. There is no natural selection here: all Jivas are bound to evolve in time towards the Absolute, subject only to their own volitions and the karmas generated by those volitions.

3. There is no question of survival of the fittest either: every Jiva survives, though it needs to relinquish its physical and subtler forms in time.

The Darwinian concepts might be appropriate only for the physical forms of species, seen from the point of view of natural history. From the point of view of the Absolute, however, there is no evolution, selection or survival because there is only one Absolute everywhere, and at all times, which only dreams up the World-Process.

Jigar
21 June 2008, 02:13 PM
Namaste Sir