PDA

View Full Version : Guidance Needed in India

ddranetz
22 June 2008, 09:03 PM
Friends,

I'm going to India for the first time in September and plan to stay for about a year or so. I'm quite new to Hinduism in general, having practiced Theravada Buddhism for many years.

There are so many ashrams, gurus and so forth in India, that I don't know where to start.

I have read and greatly appreciate the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Nissargadatta Maharaj. Visiting Arunachala and Ramanashrama is definitely on my list. I'm drawn to find similar teachers if they exist. In America, my root teacher is Adyashanti.

I'm reluctant, however, to say that I'm looking for advaita vedenta gurus. I believe that there is only one Dharma, one truth that can be realized, and I'm open to practice with any guru that I believe has awakened to That, regardless of any sects or schools of thought.

If you have experience with any guru or community in India that you would like to recommend, then I would love to hear about it.

ddranetz
22 June 2008, 09:06 PM
Friends,

I'm going to India for the first time in September and plan to stay for about a year or so. I'm quite new to Hinduism in general, having practiced Theravada Buddhism for many years.

There are so many ashrams, gurus and so forth in India, that I don't know where to start.

I have read and greatly appreciate the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Nissargadatta Maharaj. Visiting Arunachala and Ramanashrama is definitely on my list. I'm drawn to find similar teachers if they exist. In America, my root teacher is Adyashanti.

I'm reluctant, however, to say that I'm looking for advaita vedenta gurus. I believe that there is only one Dharma, one truth that can be realized, and I'm open to practice with any guru that I believe has awakened to That, regardless of any sects or schools of thought.

If you have experience with any guru or community in India that you would like to recommend, then I would love to hear about it.