PDA

View Full Version : Lord Dattatreya

TatTvamAsi
26 June 2008, 05:52 PM
I came across an interesting read on Wikipedia the other day about Lord Dattatreya and thought to myself, "Why is Dattatreya, at least relatively speaking, somewhat in the background in Hinduism whereas Vishnu & Shiva are at the forefront"? It is interesting to me because Dattatreya, the incarnation of ALL THREE (Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma), would seem to encapsulate, both metaphorically & literally, the three different aspects of Isvara. (?)

Any thoughts on this?

Plus, I would like to read the AvadhUta GItA so can someone recommend the 'best' version and/or where I could get it?

Thank you.

Subham.

P.S.: Here are a couple of pics of Dattatreya (BEAUTIFUL!):

devotee
27 June 2008, 10:41 AM
I would like to read the AvadhUta GItA so can someone recommend the 'best' version and/or where I could get it?

Namaste TatTvamAsi,

I don't know about "the best" but I have AvdhUta GItA translated by Swami Ashokananda published by Ramkrishna Math Printing Press & I love it.

I think if you look for a copy at Ramkrishna Mission book stall you will easily get it.

----------------

Regarding your other query, I think the reason is that very little is known about Dattatreya today through scriptures. It is suggested that he was born to Atri & AnsUyA. He was a great warrior who later on became a yogi & attained the highest state on that path to be known as an AvadhUtA. Moreover, he is considered only an incarnation & enjoys no distinct place like Shiva, Vishnu & the Brahma.

OM

santosh
05 January 2009, 08:48 PM
Hare Krishna,

Lord Dattatreya's incarnation is mentioned in Srimad Bhagavatam. He is avatar of Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma. There is interesting story about how Lord Dattatreya's incarnation came about.

This Sampradaya is known as Shri Datta Sampradaya. They follow book - Guru Charitra.

In Maharashtra, devotion to Lord Dattatreya is followed with enthusiasm. One important dham for devotees of Lord Dattatreya is Ganagapur which is the state of Karnataka. Another important Dham is Narsobachi vadi which is in Maharashtra.

c.smith
05 May 2012, 09:33 PM
Hari Om!

Avadhuta Gita - Song of the Ever-Free translated by Sw. Chetanananda. Have marked several pages for further review. A slow read, makes one think! What a concept, eh?

Jai Jai Hanuman!