PDA

View Full Version : Science and Hinduism

Sagefrakrobatik
28 June 2008, 11:05 PM
One way of testing the veracity of any faith is by how much its original manuscripts correspond with science. Is there anything in the Hindu scriptures that we could look to and say that it has what is written corresponds to science? FOr example many Muslims believe that what is written in the Quran is true because it confirms scientific truths. FOr example there is a part in the Quran that talks about the medicinal benefits of honey there is another that talks about the seperation of ocean basins etc. Is there anything similar to this we could extrapolate from hindu scriptures?

atanu
03 July 2008, 04:03 AM
One way of testing the veracity of any faith is by how much its original manuscripts correspond with science. Is there anything in the Hindu scriptures that we could look to and say that it has what is written corresponds to science? FOr example many Muslims believe that what is written in the Quran is true because it confirms scientific truths. FOr example there is a part in the Quran that talks about the medicinal benefits of honey there is another that talks about the seperation of ocean basins etc. Is there anything similar to this we could extrapolate from hindu scriptures?

Namaste Sage,

I do not have extended time to do justice to your query but I am sure that others will come forward with tons of materials.

Not only honey, Hindu scriptures have elucidated on benefits of many other materials available naturally to us. The science of Yoga has been embraced by the discriminative as the real solution to mental and physical turbulences that mankind face. That the sun is fixed stationery in contrast to earth was known to Hindus much before Galileo and Kepler. Further, that the sun also is relative to the Meru (the cognising consciousness) was also known, much before Einstein (and also Heisenberg) showed that the frame of reference of the observer influence all observations. Thus the cognising fixed person is called by the name of Arunachala by some and similar names by others.

More than that, you can study as to why the greatest scientists (Oppenheimer, Heisenberg etc.) consider the knowledge of KNOWLEDGE as the material that builds Atma (Self and self) as the ultimate knowledge that science can never hope to unravel, since this KNOWLEDGE is the basis of the MIND that inquires (a report written by me will not understand me. It is me who will understand the report). The knowledge of weightless consciousness as the firm basis of this weighty universe, is a question that science is exploring now. but which has been with the sanatana dharma darshana since time unknown. Only in very recent time a gold plate experiment began to throw such illumination regarding the nature of solid matter. And still new is the knowledge of Quantum physicists that the origin of this very heavy Universe is massless something.

Om

dhruva023
03 July 2008, 08:06 AM
There are many evidence but if you want see the physical evidence

here is the photo

http://ogiefreak.blogspot.com/2008/03/iron-pillar.html

Today, the rust is the biggest problem in anything related to iron, specially to Marine's in their big ships.

Sagefrakrobatik
12 July 2008, 09:44 PM
there are three other things two posted on this site and one i read in a book store that show parellels between science and Hinduism;

1. Hanuman could've been real. He couldve been not necessarily a monkey but a prehistoric man. Existing during the transitional period between Ape and Man.
2. The Various vishnu avatars seem to go correspond with evolutionary design.
3. Hinduism and Quantum Physics, Holographic universe etc.

chandu_69
16 August 2009, 07:42 PM
One way of testing the veracity of any faith is by how much its original manuscripts correspond with science.
Religion is supposed teach harmonious way of life and encourage spirituality.Science is not the basis on which religion stands.Religion is all about divinity.

FOr example many Muslims believe that what is written in the Quran is true because it confirms scientific truths.So you are confirming what muslims beleive.That is interesting.There are muslim forums discussing science in islam.The following islamic forum link could be of interest to you.(http://forum.bismikaallahuma.org/christianity/2828-quran-hadith-full-scientific-errors.html)

Is there anything in the Hindu scriptures that we could look to and say that it has what is written corresponds to science?

Many things.But they are of not much relevance to a practicing hindu.And trying to tie up sciptural knowledge to scientific discoveries is a tough one cause scientific knowledge keeps expanding.

FOr example there is a part in the Quran that talks about the medicinal benefits of honey there is another that talks about the seperation of ocean basins etc. I think you should better read the relevant verses for yourself.
Here is a discussion on another islamic forum on this very subject of oceans.
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165376

Btw, Ancient indians have recorded in ayurveda that honey can be used for wound(Vranashodhana) cleaning.

chandu_69
16 August 2009, 08:38 PM
Age of universe(present) is about 4. 3 billion years as per hindu scriptures.

This info is found in various hindu scriptures .
http://www.indiaheritage.org/rendez/article1.htm#age

here is Astronomer Carl sagan's take on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-_DdX8Ke0

Please note this video is quite old and the age of universe as per scientific extrapolation is being refined/changed.

Spiritualseeker
17 August 2009, 11:52 AM
there are three other things two posted on this site and one i read in a book store that show parellels between science and Hinduism;

1. Hanuman could've been real. He couldve been not necessarily a monkey but a prehistoric man. Existing during the transitional period between Ape and Man.
2. The Various vishnu avatars seem to go correspond with evolutionary design.
3. Hinduism and Quantum Physics, Holographic universe etc.

Namaste,

interesting. I would love to hear others input.

Sagefrakrobatik
21 August 2009, 12:53 AM
Namaste,

interesting. I would love to hear others input.

One of the books I bought while i was in Kerala was "Scientific evidence for Hindu Beliefs"

While the titular book sounded interested it was not as great as I thought itwould be. Sometimes he leaves out science entirely and seems to be guided by his opinion. The format of the book consist of roughly 200 questions. Its a good format but i think it would be better if he had quoted scriptures and then used science to back up what is in the scriptures. Nonetheless he does have a few interesting entries I will share with you later.

Sagefrakrobatik
30 August 2009, 03:10 PM
Why a Tulsi planet in the courtyard of the house?

Every good family has a Tulsi plant in itsaangan. It give a Hindu family a special identity. Women by worshippin it protect their husbands and bring prosperity in their family. When Shi Hanuman, the devotee of Lord Ram, entered Lanka looking for Sita, he saw a Tulsi plant in the courtyard house.

Ramayudh ankit griha, shbha varani na jai Nav tulsi ka vrinda tanh, deki harash kapirai)

The worship of Tulsi has been going on in good families as a very ancient tradtion. Those who do ot have their own children, arrange Tulsi marriage. LordShaligram cannot beworshipped without offing Tulsi leaves. Leaves of Tuli are a mut in shraddha food for Lord Vishnu, offering to gods, chranamrit and pnchamrit. Without it foodis not offered to gods.The water of the Ganges and Tulsi leaves are given to a personlying on death bed. No other tree has suc religious significance as Tulsi.

There is a scientific secret behind all these relious beliefs. Tulsi is a divine medicinl plant and like Kasturi (Musk) it has the ower to infuse life over into a dead man. Terminal disease such as cancer can be cured by Tulsi. Great valuesof Tulsi find a mention in books of Ayurveda. Its leaves boiled in water, if taken during fever, cold, cough and malaria provide immediate relief. Tulsi leaves hae a remarkable property of preventing infecious diseases. When it is placed on prasada (offering to gods). It doesnt rot or go sour. When it is mixed in panchamrit or charanamrit, itdoes noturn sour or develop grms for a long period.

Tulsi manjaris (pods) give out a peculiar scent which repels poisonous snakes. If a rajaswala woman passes by a Tulsi plant, it immedately loses its freshness. It is worshipped for its medicinal propertes, According to a boo, entitled Ranvir Bhakti Ratnakar:

"Whereever the wind scented by Tulsi blows, it purfies all directions, and makes all the four fors of life- Udbhij, swedaj, andaj, and jara full of zest and spirit. According to another book, krisyayaogasar, the vey touch of Tulsi killthe germs of malaria and many other diseases immediately.

2nd example

Science behind blowing the Conch in aarti-pua religious discourses and anushtans.

Atharvaveda says:

Shankhen hatva rakshansi 4.10.2

Yajur Veda says;

Avarsparaya shankhadhavam 30.19

Yastu shakhadhvanim kuryatpujakale visheshatah. Viyuktah sarvapapen vishnunan sah modate
-Ranwir Bhakti-Ratnakar Skaney)

(1) The conch kills ll the rakshashas (demons).
(2) A conch is blown during wars and battleto intimidate the enemy. One who blows e conch at the time of worship has all his sins destroyed, and he enjoys happiness with Lord Vishnu. All these religio beliefs hve a scientific basis, Scentists believe that the rays of the sun are an impediment i the propogation of sound. That's why a conch is blown either in the morning or evening with low intensity sun rays. The sound of conch kils all the germs of various diseases, due to its vibration of a paticular high frequency. Indian scientsts Jagdish Candra Bose has proved i fact through insturment. Heaing the sound of conchis a panace for removng dumbness and stammering. A perrson who regularly bls conch never suffers from breathing problem, asthma or any lung disease. The sound of conch highly beneficial in disease such as T.B. asthma, influenza, liver and spleen. Regular conch sound is very useful in purifying air, atmosphere and envirnment.

Why is the water fom conch sprinkled on over people?

Generally after neerajan aaati the water from conch is sprinkled over parcipants. According to Brahmavaivarata-Puran, water should be filed in the conch and it shod placed in a temple and be use to purfied with it. Conch has good quanitites of sulphur, phosphorous, and calcium in it. Stammering people, whuse conch water daily,have been found getting miraculous improveent in their speech.

Do prayers offer relief?

Prayers are an apprecation, a stuti of God, an outburst of emotional communion, streamin out of heart. In all communites, in all religions, in all languagesman has requested for something from omnipotent God thrugh the medium of prayer, and ever merciful God graefully acceptingthe prayers of its devotees, has grantd them the desired boons. You wll find many such miracles in every language nd literature all over the world.

It is the most common knowledge that the divine power of mantras destroys sins. Prayers and blessins see a dead man come to life,as found in the lives of saint ulsidas and Guru Nanak Dev. We hae often come across ailing people with doctors declaring them as beyond medical treatment. We have simpy asked such people to give up medicines, and recite MaaMrityunjaya mantra instead. That m is alive even today due to the grace of God. There are some persons whose disease was not cured by mantras, b they did get some relief. On practical plane I have experienced that 15% cases didnt get any relief from mantra treatment,and yajna-anushthan. Are scripures wrong then? No, this is not the case when we study the scriptures deeply, "We know;

Avashyamev Bhoktavayam Kritam Kara Shubhashubam Atyukatanam paanam ehaivaphalamashnute)

Future can be changed with action, but strong future doe not change. It can belightened by mantra, (Mantra tantravshadhi balat). The pain of thorn can breduced to that of a needle.

Acumulated actions are praabdha (fate). Theffects of various deeds ations done get accumulated. Fate can be changed by doing actions. If the fate is very fierce, very strong, then it can be lightened.........