PDA

View Full Version : Vaishnava

horrormike
02 July 2008, 04:46 PM
Let me start off by saying I have nothing against Iskcon, its just not for me. I have love for all the forms of God and cannot just focus on Kirshna. That said, Vaishnava appeals to me and I am having trouble finding schools of thought that are not Iskcon. I am looking for useful books and sites to help me learn about non Iskcon Vaishnava

ScottMalaysia
03 July 2008, 11:29 AM
Try the Ramanuja or Madhva sampradayas. Since you stated that all the devas are forms of God (which is an Advaitic or Mayavada teaching), then perhaps Ramanuja's Sri Vaishnava would be best for you. I don't know how many centres they have, though. Or you could try Swaminarayan (http://www.swaminarayan.org/) - from what I've heard they might be more your cup of tea.

Hare Krishna and pranams!!
Scott Michael.

rmystic
12 July 2008, 05:20 PM
Does one have to be initiated to be a Vaishnava?

Recently I have been doing rounds of chanting the Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra while focusing on cards that have images of Sri Krishna, Radha, Vishnu, and Chaitanya. Alot of times when awake I reflect on/recall/remember (smarana) some of the 108 names of Sri Krishna, images I have seen, and the presence.

I believe that the person Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is indeed who his followers say he is and just hearing his name has brought tears to my eyes. I've looked into a few deities of the different denominations or sects and I must say that Vishnu and the Avatars resonate with me much better than all other gods. Based on what I read, Chaitanya considers anyone to be a Vaishnava if they chant the Maha-Mantra. I'll take what God said over what anyone else says like "you cannot be one of us until you are ceremonially initiated" for example. The exoteric is only temporary in this universe.

It'd be nice to find a group to learn from and practice with but my location is far from such places and I do not have a vehicle of my own.

Braja Bhushan das
10 August 2010, 10:59 AM
From what I have understood from studying Vaishnava sastra, you need to get initiated by a transcendental guru because without him all you will do will remain on the material level. In other words, to get connected to Chaitanya Mahaprabhu you need to connect with someone who already has this connection with Him.

However, beware of all those fake gurus who will tell you the same only in order to attach you to them and exploit you. They will pose as transcendentalists (people who have crossed over the three material gunas) but in reality they are steeped in materialism.

Elizabeth108
13 August 2010, 05:53 PM
Let me start off by saying I have nothing against Iskcon, its just not for me. I have love for all the forms of God and cannot just focus on Kirshna. That said, Vaishnava appeals to me and I am having trouble finding schools of thought that are not Iskcon. I am looking for useful books and sites to help me learn about non Iskcon Vaishnava

I am also waiting for others' answers to this question. :)

Is it a correct approach if one has more an approach of Advaitic (the devas are forms and facets of the One God) and one's ishta-devata is Krsna, although one may pray to other forms of God and does not exclude other forms of God as a result of the Advaitic approach?

(I'm hoping my question can be understood as I meant it to be. :) )

Elizabeth

Eastern Mind
13 August 2010, 06:13 PM
Is it a correct approach

Elizabeth

Vannakkam Elizabeth: There is no incorrect or correct. All sincere approaches are valid, and they are many and varied. We're a vast lot.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
13 August 2010, 10:44 PM
I am also waiting for others' answers to this question. :)

Is it a correct approach if one has more an approach of Advaitic (the devas are forms and facets of the One God) and one's ishta-devata is Krsna, although one may pray to other forms of God and does not exclude other forms of God as a result of the Advaitic approach?

Elizabeth

Namaste Elizabeth,

Eastern Mindji is right.

There is no correct or incorrect approach. I hold pretty much the same views as you. Lord Krishna is my ishta-deva and I also believe in Advaita philosophy. ISKCON and other followers of Lord Krishna may take a Dvaita philosophical approach, and that is perfectly fine. But there is no problem with an Advaitic approach and having Lord Krishna as your ishta-deva.

Jai Sri Krishna

Onkara
14 August 2010, 02:27 AM

Namaste
I suggest the Srimad Bhagavata. Also the Bhagavad Gita with the commentary of Adi Shankarah or Ramanuja.

Krishna (all Gods and Goddesses) existed before philosophy. Philosophy exists to help us come to understand clearly. We can use the intellect to reduce the mental clutter i.e. doubts, desires, blind faith. Once the intellect stills the mind it can lead to unwavering and concentrated devotion to the Supreme Being who is One without a second. Within the stillness, bliss (ananda) surfaces.

So Advaita, Viśiṣṭādvaita, Shuddhadvaita and other schools of Vedanta (or Tantra) help us to understand. Some of these schools of philosophy were more closely linked to Vasinava sects, so Krishna was seen naturally as the God worthy of devotion. I see no reason why any form or name cannot be worshipped and seen to channel that love and devotion of the One Divine Being.