PDA

View Full Version : Power of God

caleb
05 July 2008, 03:35 AM
I was reading in "Merging with Shiva" about how the soul comes from God and is God, but self-concealed.

(Actually my only somewhat coherent thought on this is from Alan Watts and his little myth to show how one can be God.)

I was reading a theology book and it brought up the classic objection: "can God make a rock so big even he cannot lift it?"

This is refuted by the believer usually by saying that self-contradiction is not something that God does, that it is nothing at all.

But thinking about the mysterious self-limitation of God, that he would in some way unknown (or at least unknown to me) become something that is in some way not-God.

Is it considered a great manifestation of glory or something the idea that God does this? Is this something explicitly taught? Is it the meaning of the "concealing grace" (Subramuniyaswami)

Could someone say to the classic objection "Yes he could make a rock too heavy, and he does."?

bhargavsai
05 July 2008, 07:02 AM
Vedas describe God as "One without second" and "Everything is God". Although Maya is said to appear different from God, because Maya is something which undergoes destruction etc, but still Maya is the substance which is from God and consisting of God. So this world appearance is also God, the rock, the mountain etc is God but in delusion or dream.

So God can create biggest rock, and that Rock is also God....