PDA

View Full Version : Ik Oangkar

Harjas Kaur
07 July 2008, 08:33 AM
deleted

devotee
08 July 2008, 03:27 AM
What do Hindu brothers and sisters think about the Sikh scripture starting with ੴ, ikoankaar. Ik, meaning numeral One, followed by oangkar and not omkara. Or do you think Sikh institutions have deliberately mistranslated this from Ik Omkara/Aumkara?

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ikoankaar sathnaam karathaa purakh nirabho niravair akaal moorath ajoonee saibhan gurprasaadh||
One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. NoFear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying. Beyond Birth. Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace.
~SGGS Ji p. 1
ਏਕਾ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੇਖਾਲਿਆ ।
aykaa aykankaaru|ikhi daykhaaliaa|
By writing 1 (One) in the beginning, it has been shown that Ekankar, God, who subsumes all forms in Him is only one (and not two or three).
ਊੜਾ ਓਅੰਕਾਰੁ ਪਾਸਿ ਬਹਾਲਿਆ ।
oorhaa aoankaaru paasi bahaaliaa|
Ura, the first Gurmukhi letter, in the form of Oankar shows the world controlling power of that one Lord.
~Vaar 3 Pauri 15 of Vaaran Bhai GurdasI find it interesting that Bhai Gurdas Ji uses the phrase: "subsumes all forms in Him" because that is a concept from Advaita.

Namaste Harjas Kaur ji,

Your posts are worth reading. They give me valuable insight into Sikh scriptures, which was not well known to me. :)

Regarding IkOnkara, Ik = One, Onkara = Om. We cannot say that it is a deliberate attempt, it is not possible. There is a difference in pronunciation that is all.

OM is considered Brahman in Vedas.

Let's see :

"1. All this is the letter Om. A vivid explanation of this (is begun). All that is past, present, and future is but Om. Whatever transcends the three periods of time, too, is Om."

"I-25. Let the mind be fixed on Om, for Om is Brahman, the fearless. For him who us ever fixed on Om, there is no fear anywhere.
I-26. Om is indeed the lower Brahman; Om is (also) regarded as the higher (Brahman). Om is without a cause, without interior and exterior, without effect, and is undecaying.
I-27. Om is indeed the beginning, middle and end of everything. Having known Om thus, one attains immediately the identity with the SELF.
I-28. One should know Om to be the Lord dwelling in the hearts of all. having known the all-pervasive Om, the intelligent one does not grieve.
I-29. He by whom is known Om which is without measure and possessed of infinite magnitude and which is auspicious, since all duality ceases in it, is a sage and none else."

---- Mandukya Upanishad

There are many references in Upanishads that OM is Brahman & Brahman is One without a second. See these sentences :

1.Sarve Khalu Idam Brahman. (All this is verily Brahman)
2. Eko Brahman, Dwiteeyo Naasti. (There is Brahman alone there is none other (than Brahman) )

It is clear from above that Sikh scriptures & Vedas are one on this issue. :)

OM

indian
23 March 2009, 08:53 AM
When Akal Purakh/Bramin created the 3 deaties, Brahma ji, Vishnu ji and Mahesh ji, Braham ji meditated on 'Ikongkar'. This being one, akal Purukh ji. god then called Braham ji and asked what he desired, and Brahma ji wanted the power to create the world. As times went on, great sages such as patanjali, meditated on 'ikongkar'. People started meditating on this mantra, and with it being so powerful, it used to take a person, whilst in meditation. Hence guru Nanak dev ji creating the mool mantra starting ikongkar satnam karta purukh nirbhau virvair akal murat ajooni saibhang gurparsaad jap, Aad sach jugaad sach haibhee sach nanak hosee besach. Reciting mool mantra, absorbs the power of ikongkar.