PDA

View Full Version : Please help me understand.

anjaylah
31 May 2006, 08:42 PM
Hi,
I have recently started studying Hinduism through my world religions class. I have found it very compelling and indeed want to learn more about Hindu ways. I have identified ten top questions I would like to have answers. If you can help answer any of these questions I would be most apprciative.

Does the Hindu accept newcomers? If so, how does one become Hindu?
What do you think are common misconceptions people have about your religion?
What denomination do you practice (Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, or Smaartism) and why?
Where you born into Hinduism or do you practice this religion by choice? If by choice, what led you to this path?
From a Hinduism point of view, how was the Earth and humans created?
Do you believe the caste system is still intact? Is it followed by Hindu’s living in America?
I have found conflicting information in regards to Hare Krishna. Some say it is a part of Hinduism and others say it is not. What are your thoughts?
How does Hinduism differ from Islam or Christianity?
9. I have found brief discussion about Hindu magic. Can you tell me what you know about that?
10. Do you feel that your religion play a role in your happiness?I am looking forward to reading your responses and thoughts.

satay
31 May 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi,
I have recently started studying Hinduism through my world religions class. I have found it very compelling and indeed want to learn more about Hindu ways. I have identified ten top questions I would like to have answers. If you can help answer any of these questions I would be most apprciative.

What denomination do you practice (Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, or Smaartism) and why?
Where you born into Hinduism or do you practice this religion by choice? If by choice, what led you to this path?
Do you believe the caste system is still intact? Is it followed by Hindu’s living in America?
I have found conflicting information in regards to Hare Krishna. Some say it is a part of Hinduism and others say it is not. What are your thoughts?
9. I have found brief discussion about Hindu magic. Can you tell me what you know about that?
10. Do you feel that your religion play a role in your happiness?I am looking forward to reading your responses and thoughts.

namaste and welcome to the forums!

I am curious. How far you in your class on Hinduism? What's the starting point in such a class? How long is your class study going to be. Perhaps best to wait for your class to end as by the end you should know answers to a lot of these questions.

As an aside, does your world religion class teach anything on Taoism? just curious.

ps: by the way, what does your handle 'anjaylah' mean if anything?

Arjuna
01 June 2006, 05:07 AM

Yes it does. In order to become a Hindu one has to go through prescribed rituals, samskaras. In a case of some sects this may be replaced by certain initiation.

This is a big topic. In fact, almost everything thought by people about Hinduism are mainly misconceptions :D (But this is the case with all religions and not only Hinduism.)
For example, there is a misconception that all Hindus have to be vegetarians and definitely none eats cow meat. But in fact eating of meat, and cow meat as well, was extant even in Vedic times, and remained in many later traditions (eating cow is not common, but in Java Hindus do eat it).

There are mainly two reasons of following some tradition: either one is born in it or one selects it willfully. In both cases initiation is essential.

I became Hindu by choice; and choice was in fact done by God and not "me."

Answers to this will vary. Mythological stories U may read in Puranas and Itihasas. But in fact, Vedas say that One God created heaven and earth. Monistic traditions see this God as the Ultimate Consciousness and everything that exists is non-separate from His being.

Depends on what U mean by "caste system." I do not believe in any kind of automatic heriditary caste, and i think this was the initial concept of varna-system. But society is indeed divided into 4 classes. Natural inclination and capacity of a person makes him brahmana, kshatriya etc.

It is one of neo-hindu sects. It is a part of Hinduism in a sense that formally it belongs to it by succession of gurus. But it is not a part of traditional Hinduism.

There are many similarities and many differences. Hinduism is essentially monotheistic, as well as Judaism, Christianity and Islam (in fact the latter two are modifications of Judaism only). All these religions have the concepts of Dharma (Law), Bhakti (Love to God) and Jnana (Mystical knowledge), Yoga (Union with God).
Moreover, U have to take in account that there are several traditions grouped under theses titles. Especially this is right in regard of Hinduism, which is quite undefined term.

"Magic" is not an essential part of Hinduism, but it has a place in it. What exactly do U wanna ask?

10. Do you feel that your religion play a role in your happiness?

Religion is a union with God, and God is a source of all happiness ;)

anjaylah
01 June 2006, 07:00 PM
Arjuna,
Thank you so much for your insightful answers to my questions. :o I have a little more understanding of the religion, but now I have tons more questions (After I look up some of those words and read some more text).

I really needed to hear these answers from someone who practices instead of what a book can tell me.

Satay,
My class only touched the surface of Hinduism and I am at the end of my class doing research right now.

My class has covered Taoism, Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism and briefly on others. I chose to explore Hinduism.

My real name is Angela, I think that anjaylah is just a cute way of spelling it. :rolleyes:

Arjuna
02 June 2006, 04:34 AM
I really needed to hear these answers from someone who practices instead of what a book can tell me.

Namaste,

I suppose that almost all present here in this or that way practice ;)
If U have got questions, ask.

satay
02 June 2006, 10:39 AM
namaste,

I chose to explore Hinduism.

to quote my good buddhist friend Vjaradhara ..."this is due to your good karma ripening" :)

My real name is Angela, I think that anjaylah is just a cute way of spelling it. :rolleyes:

cute! Welcome again and ask away your questions...there are many knowledgeable members here on this forum from different schools of Sanatana dharma'

anjaylah
03 June 2006, 06:55 PM
Wow, the more I find out Hinduism the more I feel drawn to it. I start thinking about things that have happend in my life and how they now make sense. I am starting to feel different...I a very good way.... Well, we shall see where this leads me as I still have tons to absorb. :)

I have a question that I cannot seem to figure out. :o

Are gurus the equivelant of a priest or are they two different things?

Arjuna
04 June 2006, 02:45 AM
Are gurus the equivelant of a priest or are they two different things?

No. In a sense the Church plays the role of a "collective" Guru in Christianity.
Priest is "archaka", "pUjArI" and "purohita". AchArya is "teacher" or "leader", and Guru is the "master".

Singhi Kaya
05 June 2006, 04:12 AM
Church is an organisation like any other~that it is a guru is a bit over the head ;)

Arjuna
05 June 2006, 04:55 AM
Church is an organisation like any other~that it is a guru is a bit over the head ;)

If U get an idea of chrisitian doctrine of the Church (also compared to judaic Kneset-Israel), U will understand what i meant to say.

External Church is only an organisation, i agree ;)
But there is what is called heavenly Church, an approximate analogue of Kula-kaya of Tantrism. This Church is considered to be the Bride of the Logos. And i would say a "Guru" for all its members.

Singhi Kaya
05 June 2006, 05:23 AM
can you explain kula-kaya in the appropiate tantrik thread :)

Arjuna
05 June 2006, 06:41 AM
can you explain kula-kaya in the appropiate tantrik thread :)

Plz put a question there and i will reply as get a mood to :)

Kahala
10 June 2006, 01:25 PM
I have a question: Who is a real Guru for YOU ??

MananAtma
23 July 2006, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjaylah

Yes it does. In order to become a Hindu one has to go through prescribed rituals, samskaras. In a case of some sects this may be replaced by certain initiation.

Arjuna, please forgive my bringing up an old topic, but I'm new to the forum and browsing old posts to learn as much as I can.

When I asked a similiar question at the temple I attend, I was told by both teachers that "you are Hindu when you feel you are", and that there was no ritual or initiation. Being a Joseph Campbell fan, I recognize the value of initiations.

After going to temple a few times, I decided Hinduism was right for me, I told them so, they just smiled and encouraged me to join in. After that Punditji made a point of bringing Prasad halfway across the temple to me, explaining in his very bad english that I am welcome to join in.

Can you tell me where I might find more info on these rituals you mention? How would I describe them to Punditji? At this point, I'm not sure if the samskaras are needed, but it would be nice to know about them for those who may require more of a ceremonial accepteance into Hinduism.

Shanti,
Roy

jaggin
08 August 2006, 07:01 AM
No. In a sense the Church plays the role of a "collective" Guru in Christianity.
Priest is "archaka", "pUjArI" and "purohita". AchArya is "teacher" or "leader", and Guru is the "master".

There is no sense of master in Christianity. Theoretically anything is available to an initiate that is available to someone wel grounded in the faith because all things come by the Paraclete and don't depend on the person. There is a recognition that those who have walked in faith for a long time have a wealth of experience that can be beneficial to the initiate.

sarabhanga
09 August 2006, 02:03 AM
Namaste,

The original scenario was:

1. Turiya = Tetragrammaton
2. Guru = Jesus
3. Shishya = Judas

Subsequently elaborated as:

1. Deva = Jehovah
2. Rishi = Jesus
3. Acharya = Pontiff
4. Guru = Priest
5. Shishya = Man

jaggin
31 August 2006, 07:40 PM
Although the Roman Catholic and Epicopalian/Aglican churches use a preisthood probably imitating the Judaic priesthood, I am from the Baptist tradition which views the word as saying that there is a preisthood of believers. Any person who has accepted Jesus as Lord and savior is capable of acting as a priest.

sarabhanga
01 September 2006, 08:12 PM
The original scenario was:

1. Turiya = Tetragrammaton
2. Guru = Jesus
3. Shishya = Judas

Subsequently elaborated as:

1. Deva = Jehovah
2. Rishi = Jesus
3. Acharya = Pontiff
4. Guru = Priest
5. Shishya = Man

And later reduced by the Protestant Reformation in 16th century Europe to:

1. Deva = Jesus
2. Guru = Bible
3. Shishya = Man

yajvan
24 September 2006, 09:56 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Wow, the more I find out Hinduism the more I feel drawn to it. ...

Namaste Anjaylay,
You have asked good foundational questions in this Sanatana Dharma... I am not a fan of calling it Hinduism (again, this is just me). I also prefer the name of Arsa Dharma or the way of the rishi. Some Buddhists call it Rsi-mata or the doctrine of the rishi's.

That said, what do you think this great sanatana Dharma is? you have taken a course or two... think about what is moving you in your heart and in your mind to cocnsider this as a way of life/belief. From there then the most profound questions will arise for this asteemed group to assist you with. Sanatana Dharma is beyond ritual, yet is part of the respect we pay to the variouss ways this Brahman expresses itself in this universe. Ite is all inclusive, because the knowledge of Arsa Dharma knows that all 'this' that we see is an extention of HIM.
More on this as your questions permit the knowledge to manifest. It is by knowing your questions, one can throttle the right knowledge to you.

sarabhanga
24 September 2006, 11:56 PM
“Hinduism” = indudharma = sindhudharma = sanAtanadharma = ArSadharma = ArSabhadharma !

And the way of the Rishis has long followed Nandi’s own path. ;)