PDA

View Full Version : Any Solution to Word 2007?

atanu
12 July 2008, 08:16 AM
When I paste anything prepared in Word 2007, the formatting tags become the main thing in the pasted material. I have to manually edit out all the tags. Is this a problem I am facing alone or has any one else already faced and solved it?

Any suggestion welcome. Thanks

Om

Znanna
12 July 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't know a "real" solution, but it might work if you first C/P into notepad or an email window and then C/P again to your final location.

ZN

atanu
12 July 2008, 09:31 PM
I don't know a "real" solution, but it might work if you first C/P into notepad or an email window and then C/P again to your final location.

ZN
Namaste ZN,

Thanks to you. In fact, I prepared a RTF file in wordpad. Long back I read a science fiction. A space ship was in peril due to fuel shortage and some weight reduction was the most urgent requirement before re-entering gravity field. They could not throw away the computers since no one there knew how to calculate anything. Then they just found a relic of a man who could miraculously add 1 and 1. They were all saved.

Thanks.:)

Om

yajvan
16 July 2008, 08:56 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste atanu,

I am a 2003 Word user ( and Office). One thing that I have found that makes pasting into a document more reliable is using the 'Paste Special' function. this works great in PowerPoint, and is the same function in WORD. You will find it nder the EDIT command ( if its still there in 2007).

See if that helps - once you see it , trying different formats inside the 'Paste Special' . This may assist you.

I have loaded Office 2007 but it already has given me issues. I will not belabor the issues here.

pranams

atanu
21 July 2008, 03:14 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste atanu,

I am a 2003 Word user ( and Office). One thing that I have found that makes pasting into a document more reliable is using the 'Paste Special' function. this works great in PowerPoint, and is the same function in WORD. You will find it nder the EDIT command ( if its still there in 2007).

See if that helps - once you see it , trying different formats inside the 'Paste Special' . This may assist you.

I have loaded Office 2007 but it already has given me issues. I will not belabor the issues here.

pranams

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

Thanks. While using Word 2003, I did not face this problem and never had to use Save As in another format other than the default Word DOC format. Word 2007 and other Office 2007 applications have now introduced '.DOCX' and equivalent extensions, so obviously I save all docs with 'Save As' in Word 97-2003 '.doc' format, to maintain compatibility with other PCs where I work. But even using this 'save as' does not appear to solve the problem.

So, for preparing long written material for HDF (when required), I am using a RTF format file prepared and maintained through window's wordpad to avoid tags coming up in the posted matter.

Thanks for taking time to offer your guidance.

Om

satay
21 July 2008, 09:17 AM
This is a test. This document is written in office 2007.
Let’s see if this creates any tags or not.

satay
21 July 2008, 09:21 AM
namaskar atanu,

When I paste anything prepared in Word 2007, the formatting tags become the main thing in the pasted material. I have to manually edit out all the tags. Is this a problem I am facing alone or has any one else already faced and solved it?

Any suggestion welcome. Thanks

Om

I tried to repeat the problem you are having with Word 2007 but I am unable to repleat it. I just created a document in 2007, selected all the text and pasted it here in this thread. No tags or anything show up for me when posting.

Could you post your exact steps here so that I can try and see if those steps create the problem for me.

atanu
21 July 2008, 11:37 AM
namaskar atanu,

I tried to repeat the problem you are having with Word 2007 but I am unable to repleat it. I just created a document in 2007, selected all the text and pasted it here in this thread. No tags or anything show up for me when posting.

Could you post your exact steps here so that I can try and see if those steps create the problem for me.

Namaste Satay,

Let us check. The following is pasted material from a html page to word 2007 and then to HDF puri:

Formatted HTML
CHAPTER - IVPHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I
Topic-1: Repetition of Meditations etc.
1. Repetition is necessary, since the Upanishads instruct repeatedly.
2. And (this is so) on account of the indicatory mark.
Topic-2: Identity of the Self with Brahman
3. But the Upanishads acknowledge Brahman as the Self and cause It to be so understood.
Topic-3: No Self-identity with Symbols
4. (The aspirant is) not to identify (himself) with a symbol, for he cannot understand himself to be so.
Topic-4: Superimposition of the Higher on the Lower
5. The sun etc., are to be looked upon as Brahman because of the consequent exaltation.

Formatted RTF
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I
3. But the Upanishads acknowledge Brahman as the Self and cause It to be so understood.
4. (The aspirant is) not to identify (himself) with a symbol, for he cannot understand himself to be so.
5. The sun etc., are to be looked upon as Brahman because of the consequent exaltation.

Unformatted

CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT

SECTION - I
--------------------------------------------

This part is my typing. Hello every one.

atanu
21 July 2008, 11:41 AM
This time, I saved the file in Word 1997-2003 format. And C&P from that file.
Formatted HTML
CHAPTER - IVPHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I

Formatted RTF
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I

Unformatted

CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT

SECTION - I

satay
21 July 2008, 01:39 PM
Namaste Satay,

Let us check. The following is pasted material from a html page to word 2007 and then to HDF puri:

Oh Okay, I get it...you copy pasted from an html page into word; made some changes then copy pasted from word doc to HDF in a post.

Would it be possible to get the source copy of one such word doc through email? I want to experiment it myself and see...please email a copy of word doc to karmic_hindu@yahoo.com

Thanks,

satay
21 July 2008, 09:56 PM
Formatted HTML
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I
Formatted RTF
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I

Unformatted

CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT

SECTION - I

Posted from word 2003 next will post from office 2007

satay
22 July 2008, 11:16 AM
Formatted HTML
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I
Formatted RTF
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I

Unformatted

CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT

SECTION - I

copied and pasted using office 2007/word 2007. Investigating futher...

satay
22 July 2008, 11:52 AM
Formatted HTML
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I
Formatted RTF
CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT
SECTION - I

Unformatted

CHAPTER - IV
PHALA – RESULT

SECTION - I

...with forum message interface changed to standard buttons...looses all formatting...

atanu
22 July 2008, 12:29 PM
...with forum message interface changed to standard buttons...looses all formatting...

Hello Satay,

Thanks. Can you please elaborate a bit more on how to?

Thanks in advance.

Om

satay
22 July 2008, 01:36 PM
namaste atanu,

Hello Satay,

Thanks. Can you please elaborate a bit more on how to?

Thanks in advance.

Om

Those lines at the bottom of the message are just a reminder for myself. That formatting loss was due to a global setting I changed on the form editor. However, I don't want to make that global change because that will affect all 'pasting' no matter what the source of the paste is.

The problem is definitely with word 2007 and how it retains and handles formatting and conflicts when pasting to other sources. Since the problem is not with forum editor, I don't want to change anything in the forum software itself.

I am still investigating word options to see if a setting in the 'word options' - > advanced -> cut and paste options can be changed, if that would fix this.

satay
22 July 2008, 01:42 PM
The problem is due to the way Word 2007 handles formatting.

If you want to remove all formatting then there are are couple of ways.

1. Copy and paste from document contents on to a new page (within the same document or new document) using the 'paste special' function (as suggested by Yajvan also); choose 'unformatted text' and then copy and paste that content into forum editor window. All original formatting is lost in this scenario.

2. Copy and paste content straight from document into forum editor window; select all text and use the 'A with red x on it' button to remove all formatting. All original formatting is lost in this scenario also.

3. Use notepad as the middle man.

However, when pasting from word 2003, all formatting seems to be intact in the form editor. I am still investigating if we can have word 2007 do the same by changing some sort of option in it. So far no luck...

atanu
24 July 2008, 02:02 AM
The problem is due to the way Word 2007 handles formatting.

If you want to remove all formatting then there are are couple of ways.

1. Copy and paste from document contents on to a new page (within the same document or new document) using the 'paste special' function (as suggested by Yajvan also); choose 'unformatted text' and then copy and paste that content into forum editor window. All original formatting is lost in this scenario.

Satay,

But I have noted (and you also have) that when using 'unformatted' option during save as, the tags appear in forum. Only when the option 'HTML' is chosen, the posts are tag free.

I think using the native Word 2007 format of '.docx' should solve the problem, since 'xml, format should take care of all possibilities. I have not tested it however.

At present I use a word pad doc for collecting material for a post.

Thanks.

Om