PDA

View Full Version : The Sun

rmystic
12 July 2008, 12:31 PM
Namaste

I hope that this is the right forum for this topic. :)

A couple of days ago I finished reading the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (translated by Patrick Olivelle) and I noticed some references to the sun. In the Bhagavad-Gita, Sri Krishna reveals that he is the sun (and much more, of course). I have also read somewhere else that the sun has a significant relationship with the sacred syllable Aum.

Why is the sun significant regarding the practice of Yoga and Sanatana Dharma in general?

This morning I had a dream that I was outside of my house and a young woman approached me. She told me that she believes in Christ and then she asked me what it is that I believe in. So I told her to follow me into my home so that I could show her. Inside of the home, I looked up at the sun through a high window and I told the young woman that I worship that (the sun). While continuing gazing at the sun, I raised my arms up and then the sun started radiating light toward myself and its color was changing from yellow to orange-yellow and then to gold. Then we went to my bedroom and I told someone else (a young male) that during the worship of the sun that its rays have pierced through the walls and touched my forehead.

I have the idea that this dream may have something to do with my practice of Pranava Yoga (concentrating on the syllable Aum).

TatTvamAsi
13 July 2008, 03:48 AM
I am not sure of all the details of why the sun (in this solar system ?) is considered to be 'sacred' or important.

However, one of the main reasons is rather allegorical. The fact that the sun illuminates the earth and "brings life/light" to the darkness is analogous to the illumination of the mind/intellect. Just as the sun's rays pervade everything in their path, so does the Supreme Reality that is Brahman.

I am keen on seeing others' interpretations and explanations on this topic as well.

Subham.